Abby Johnson of "Unplanned" shown to be lying 9 years ago.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Please note - this thread is not about abortion. It is about claims made by Abby Johnson in her rise to celebrity and which are being promoted in the movie "Unplanned" now in theaters. If you post about abortion being good, bad, indifferent or whatever they will be reported for being off topic and disruptive.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-convert/

When I asked if she could provide any other details of what she saw that day to help firm up her story, Johnson volunteered that the patient in question was a black woman, a description that she has never previously included in her account. Only one patient from September 26 was black, according to the Induced Abortion Report Form, and she was in the sixth week of her pregnancy. There would be no medical reason for a doctor to use an ultrasound to guide an abortion performed on a woman at such an early stage. Even if one was used, it’s hard to imagine how Johnson, who said she has seen hundreds of ultrasound pictures in her career, could mistake a one-quarter-inch-long embryo for a three-inch, thirteen-week fetus.​

on September 27, the day after Johnson says she witnessed the ultrasound-guided abortion and had her epiphany, she appeared as a guest on the Bryan public radio program Fair and Feminist to discuss her work at the clinic. In the hour-long interview, Johnson gives an enthusiastic defense of the clinic and ridicules the 40 Days for Life protest. She doesn’t sound like someone who’d had a life-changing experience the previous day or who had soured on her employer’s mission.​

I'd also suggest reading this article which contains interviews with Johnson and a former coworker which cannot be linked to because of one quoted profanity.
Conversion Story

How Bryan's Planned Parenthood director became a pro-life celebrity.

“It was just brutal,” she said. “They demand 60-hour weeks from you for little pay, and it’s supposed to be compensation that you’re working for the cause. I gave them my all, and they just never appreciated it.”
{snip}

That is another thread in Johnson’s story: Planned Parenthood doesn’t care about the women who came in, but she did. She wanted to give the patients information on options, she said, to let them know about the potential hazards of birth-control methods. Everyone else just wanted to put in their time and go home.{snip description of how bad it was}

All of which raised an obvious question: If the hours were so long, the pay so little, the supervisors so abusive, if you could never leave, why would anyone come to work for Planned Parenthood?

“Oh,” Johnson shrugged again, “the money’s good.”

So which is Abby? Is it "little pay" for long hours or is "the money good"?

This article can't be linked to either because it' quotes the same profanity in the above.

Sorting Fact From Fiction in the Story of Pro-life Celebrity Abby Johnson

If you don’t want to believe Johnson’s close friend, how about Johnson herself? As I reported in my original story, Johnson’s own contemporaneous account on Facebook of her decision to leave the clinic does not line up well with the story she began telling publicly a month later. This is what she wrote on the night she quit:

Alright. Here’s the deal. I have been doing the work of two full time people for two years. Then, after I have been working my whole big butt off for them and prioritizing that company over my family, my friends and pretty much everything else in my life, they have the nerve to tell me that my job performance is “slipping.” WHAT???!!! That is crazy. Anyone that knows me knows how committed I was to that job. They obviously do not value me at all. So, I’m out and I feel really great about it!

Johnson never mentioned being pressured to increase abortions, witnessing the ultrasound-guided procedure, or suffering a moral crisis.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Doesn't surprise me, I've heard her story was largely uncorroborated as well.

Her story is the sort of thing when somebody feels guilty and they become delusional to try to atone for their perceived sins.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Please note - this thread is not about abortion. It is about claims made by Abby Johnson in her rise to celebrity and which are being promoted in the movie "Unplanned" now in theaters. If you post about abortion being good, bad, indifferent or whatever they will be reported for being off topic and disruptive.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/the-convert/

When I asked if she could provide any other details of what she saw that day to help firm up her story, Johnson volunteered that the patient in question was a black woman, a description that she has never previously included in her account. Only one patient from September 26 was black, according to the Induced Abortion Report Form, and she was in the sixth week of her pregnancy. There would be no medical reason for a doctor to use an ultrasound to guide an abortion performed on a woman at such an early stage. Even if one was used, it’s hard to imagine how Johnson, who said she has seen hundreds of ultrasound pictures in her career, could mistake a one-quarter-inch-long embryo for a three-inch, thirteen-week fetus.​

on September 27, the day after Johnson says she witnessed the ultrasound-guided abortion and had her epiphany, she appeared as a guest on the Bryan public radio program Fair and Feminist to discuss her work at the clinic. In the hour-long interview, Johnson gives an enthusiastic defense of the clinic and ridicules the 40 Days for Life protest. She doesn’t sound like someone who’d had a life-changing experience the previous day or who had soured on her employer’s mission.​

I'd also suggest reading this article which contains interviews with Johnson and a former coworker which cannot be linked to because of one quoted profanity.
Conversion Story

How Bryan's Planned Parenthood director became a pro-life celebrity.

“It was just brutal,” she said. “They demand 60-hour weeks from you for little pay, and it’s supposed to be compensation that you’re working for the cause. I gave them my all, and they just never appreciated it.”
{snip}

That is another thread in Johnson’s story: Planned Parenthood doesn’t care about the women who came in, but she did. She wanted to give the patients information on options, she said, to let them know about the potential hazards of birth-control methods. Everyone else just wanted to put in their time and go home.{snip description of how bad it was}

All of which raised an obvious question: If the hours were so long, the pay so little, the supervisors so abusive, if you could never leave, why would anyone come to work for Planned Parenthood?

“Oh,” Johnson shrugged again, “the money’s good.”

So which is Abby? Is it "little pay" for long hours or is "the money good"?

This article can't be linked to either because it' quotes the same profanity in the above.

Sorting Fact From Fiction in the Story of Pro-life Celebrity Abby Johnson

If you don’t want to believe Johnson’s close friend, how about Johnson herself? As I reported in my original story, Johnson’s own contemporaneous account on Facebook of her decision to leave the clinic does not line up well with the story she began telling publicly a month later. This is what she wrote on the night she quit:

Alright. Here’s the deal. I have been doing the work of two full time people for two years. Then, after I have been working my whole big butt off for them and prioritizing that company over my family, my friends and pretty much everything else in my life, they have the nerve to tell me that my job performance is “slipping.” WHAT???!!! That is crazy. Anyone that knows me knows how committed I was to that job. They obviously do not value me at all. So, I’m out and I feel really great about it!

Johnson never mentioned being pressured to increase abortions, witnessing the ultrasound-guided procedure, or suffering a moral crisis.

So is this a case of willful and intentional falsehood, or is it a case of confusion on details?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So is this a case of willful and intentional falsehood, or is it a case of confusion on details?

Since she doubled down on things already shown to be falsehoods, the former. Also how is her going on a talk radio show the day after the supposed ultrasound and epiphany a "confusion of details". How is her Facebook post where she rants about her job, but not about the ultrasound or ethical crisis a "confusion of details"?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Edited -

Big news, a celebrity lied. What next, are you going to tell us politicians are also lacking integrity? :idea:

She's not "just" a celebrity? Like Norma McCorvy, she's a cause célèbre for politically Conservative Christians and the anti-abortion movement. Her story, as she tells it, is full of all the tropes and narratives that those folks have been telling each other in their echo chamber for nearly 50 years.
- She was the only one who actually cared about the women. Everyone else was just there for a paycheck.
- She was witness to the horror of an abortion (ala Silent Scream) and had a Road to Damascus Moment.
- Everyone else is lying is because they are atheists and only she is telling the truth.
- The higher ups at Planned Parenthood kept women working there in bondage using emotional and professional blackmail.
- She is the victim of the abortion-industrial complex.

Her whole story reads like a Chick Tract.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
He's using the story to make a point about a Christian as if Christians are hypocrites. My point is that she's a celebrity. Of course his reply is inferring there's more...well what is it? He doesn't want to say, it's because she's a Christian. I know this guy from other threads, he doesn't get my respect.

I don't see that as his point at all.

I'm a Christian and I don't agree with her narrative of events, I never did. It was obvious that Unplanned was little more than propaganda unconcerned with facts.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
She's a celebrity first, and a Christian second like most of the "Christian" celebrities. So her being a Christian should not be considered.

I don't recall the article he posted mentioning her religion at all. You brought it up.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
And FWIW, Abby Johnson is not just a Christian, she's a Catholic. She cajoled her husband into leaving the Episcopal Church because she probably couldn't abide by their broad tolerance of different political perspectives and spun it into a persecution narrative. She seems to have that sort of historionic personality.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And FWIW, Abby Johnson is not just a Christian, she's a Catholic. She cajoled her husband into leaving the Episcopal Church because she probably couldn't abide by their broad tolerance of different political perspectives.

You should be careful about saying Catholics aren't Christians. I was warned about that.

Upvote 0