• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aaah stupid OCD Am i going to hell now ?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Servant _Of_Christ, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,930
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Take it gently today Lily - you'll get there in God's time. Remember He is in charge - He will help and support you

2. S.ilvio

S.ilvio Newbie

+3,110
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Good morning Lily.

That flippin OCD.

You are with friends here who know what they're talking about. Stay active in here and things will ease gradually got you...:)

3. WarriorOfChrist10

WarriorOfChrist10 New Member

+1
    Bulgaria
    Christian
    Married
    Before I become christian I was too in pagan things, I really still like them, I don't see nothing wrong in them.

4. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Evangelical Catholic Supporter

+4,112
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Don't hold on for Jesus, let Jesus hold on to you. He is willing and able to do that. Let God be responsible for your salvation.

Developing self-compassion is critical. Don't be quick to judge yourself harshly for having negative thoughts. These happen to everyone.

It's important to focus on the positive things in religion, and not the negative things, if you have problems with anxiety. If you have been abused, it is harder to separate out our feelings of being betrayed by authority figures with how we feel about God. This is understandable and God does not judge you for it.

I notice your avatar is an icon. Do you have an icon in real life? That icon of the Nativity is good, because in Jesus' birth, God comes to us weak and defenseless, not angry. There is no hell in the manger where Jesus lays. Focus on that, and do not focus on God judging you, because in the Nativity story God has showed his good will towards us sinners. We do need to be perfect to be loved by God and accepted by him.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. eleos1954

eleos1954 Member Supporter

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Copy and Paste the following and post them on your refrigerator or something. When you are experiencing negative thoughts and/or when troubles come your way. His word IS Truth ..... Believe it ...... all of it. Yet I may stumble .... His Word is Truth.

Proverbs

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.
    6 In all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make straight your paths.

His Words are True

2 Samuel 7:28

"Now, O Lord GOD, You are God, and Your words are truth, and You have promised this good thing to Your servant.

Ephesians 1:13

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

You are saved

9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Hebrews 7

25 Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

Romans 8:1

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Do not worry

Proverbs 12

25 Worry weighs a person down;

Matthew 6

34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own.

He is with you

Deuteronomy 31

8 It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

Do not be afraid

Isaiah 41:10

'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'

Have courage - Do Not be Afraid

Joshua 1

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Psalm 23

4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me; your rod and your staff,they comfort me.

Psalm 27

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?The LORD is the strongholds of my life;of whom shall I be afraid?

Be comforted

Psalm 110

76 Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.

Psalm 9

9 The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,a very present help in trouble. 2Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
    3 though its waters roar and foam,though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

Psalm

1 I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy.
    2 Because he inclined his ear to me,therefore I will call on him as long as I live.

Psalm 119

50 This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

John 14

1“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

John 14

26 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you

Be confident

Philippians 1:6

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 4:16

Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Deuteronomy 31:6

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

Trust Him

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Colossians 3:3

For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Psalm 34:19

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.

Pray, pray, pray - ask and you will receive

Psalm 50:15

“Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me.”

Psalm 18:6

“In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.”

Jeremiah 29: 12-13

“Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.”

Psalm 143:10

Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

Philippians 4:6-7

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Matthew 21

22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”

1 John 5:14

This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

Matthew 21:22 - And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

He is faithful - Believe

2 Corinthians 1:20-22

For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us. Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge.

Lamentations 3:22-23

The LORD'S loving kindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.

Romans 4:21

and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

2 Timothy 2:13

If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

1 Thessalonians 5:24

Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Hebrews 10:23

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful;

Romans 15:13 – “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him.” (Amen)

God Loves You! God Bless you!

6. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    In a way .... you are correct. The word Hell in the Bible is Hades. Here is the Greek definition. There will be many who will disagree with the following. Ok ... with them I agree to disagree.

Hades - Hell

Greek
    hadés: Hades, the abode of departed spirits
    Original Word: ᾍδης, ου, ὁ
    Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
    Transliteration: hadés
    Phonetic Spelling: (hah'-dace)
    Short Definition: Hades
    Definition: Hades, the unseen world.
    HELPS Word-studies
    86 hádēs (from 1 /A "not" and idein/eidō, "see") – properly, the "unseen place," referring to the (invisible) realm in which all the dead reside, i.e. the present dwelling place of all the departed (deceased); Hades.

Ecclesiastes 9

5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.

In the very end .... there will be two Resurrections

1st Resurrection - the saved -

1st Corinthians

51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.

The saved dead, and the saved living all go together to be with the Lord.

1st Thessalonians

16For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

(People are not currently burning in "hell", all are asleep in the grave and know nothing (both the saved and unsaved) waiting for the return of the Lord.

Revelation 20

6 Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death (eternal death) has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

The second ressurection

Revelation 20 - 2nd Ressurection of the unsaved

The living unsaved - Happens at the same time when He takes the saved to Heaven.

Revelation 19

20And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presencee had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. 21And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.

The earth at this point is totally desolate.

Jeremiah 4

23 I looked on the earth, and behold, it was without form and void;and to the heavens, and they had no light.24 I looked on the mountains, and behold, they were quaking,and all the hills moved to and fro.25 I looked, and behold, there was no man,and all the birds of the air had fled.26 I looked, and behold, the fruitful land was a desert,and all its cities were laid in ruinsbefore the LORD, before his fierce anger.

27For thus says the LORD, “The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end.

Satan and the fallen angels are bound to the desolate earth. Satan has nobody to tempt - the unsaved dead are still in the grave ... all the saved are in Heaven.

Revelation 20

2And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, 3 and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be released for a little while.

At the end of the thousand years "the rest of the dead"—the wicked—will be resurrected (2nd resurrection), thus releasing Satan from the inactivity that has imprisoned him for the one thousand years. Once again Satan has people to deceive and control.

Revelation 20

7And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea.

The Final Battle

Revelation 21:2

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

Revelation 20

9And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them

Revelation 20

13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades (the grave) gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death (eternal death), the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Lake of fire? Popular belief - those in "Hell" will burn forever and ever? Not so. They (the unsaved), Satan and his angels and the unsaved will be totally destroyed forever and ever.

Hebrews 12

29 for our God is a consuming fire.

Malachi 4

1 “For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the LORD of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.

Ezekiel 28

18 By the multitude of your iniquities,in the unrighteousness of your trade you profaned your sanctuaries;so I brought fire out from your midst;it consumed you,and I turned you to ashes on the earth in the sight of all who saw you.

Psalm 17
    10 Yet a little while and the wicked man will be no more; And you will look carefully for his place and he will not be there.

Isaiah

14 Behold, they are like stubble; the fire consumes them;they cannot deliver themselves
    from the power of the flame

Now the good news! The Really Good News!

Revelation 21

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death (eternal death) shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

AMEN!!

God Bless all.

7. Anhelyna

+7,930
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Gentle posters

May I ask you to be a little more careful with your rather long posts. Lily is well aware of her problems - she is receiving help and medical support and her husband is very very caring.

What she needs , more than long posts to read, is your prayers and prayerful support. She needs to be cradled in our love and prayers.

8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,284
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    and I would add, soul sleep is heretical, and our guests, well meaning as they are, should not post that stuff here unless they are asking us our take. the souls of the departed are not unconscious until the Resurrection

9. eleos1954

+106
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No better help than from the Word of God and through prayer. Amen

10. Servant _Of_Christ

Servant _Of_Christ _Lily_76 Supporter

+1,037
    United Kingdom
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    UK-Labour
    thank you for replying to me i dont have this icon in real life but i wish to get one am unsure where i can get one like it i love art but i have no artsic talent myself i want to focus on Jesus as you said there is no hell where he lays there is love am trying hard to focus on the good things but there are times when i can be so depressed and down i focus on the negatives far too much and that makes things worse for me
    the OCD eat at my faith wanting me to be more and more confused and upset i shouldnt let it do that
    i want to learn about Jesus reading the bible is a problem for me a friend has said i should listen to the bible instead
    if anyone can recommend where i can buy an icon like this one thank you

11. Servant _Of_Christ

+1,037
    United Kingdom
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    UK-Labour
    i think am going out of my mind , keep going from one thing to another cant make up my mind i hate this got my husband to change the e mail and password to the pagan forum for some reason the forum my program i use to ban things dont ban it unsure why
    why cant i stay away am listening to Orthodox christian music am prayingand i think am losing my mind

12. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+5,284
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    keep hanging in there and praying, a day at a time.

13. Anhelyna

+7,930
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    You WILL come through this Lily.

As ArmyMatt says - once day at a time.

Keep your focus on the Father as much as you can , but remember we , like you , are human and we all fail at times .

When we do - we pick ourselves up and start again

14. Servant _Of_Christ

+1,037
    United Kingdom
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    UK-Labour
    the Eastern Orthodox music is helping so haunting and beautiful the voices are also beautiful my heart is lifted helping me stay focused in the moment and on the father

thank you all for being understanding and supportive

• Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  15. Anhelyna

+7,930
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I'm glad our chant is helping Lily - yes it's truly beautiful. Let it sink in - keep listening and the words will help you.

16. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 auto-correct iPhone survivor

+2,930
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    prayers...

17. All4Christ

All4Christ +The Handmaid of God Laura+ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+3,887
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Prayers Lily!

18. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Evangelical Catholic Supporter

+4,112
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    You live in Scotland, which is quite far north, have you been tested for vitamin D deficiency? When my D levels are low, I experience anxiety and depression. It is frequently not diagnosed. I was not diagnosed till recently.

On the contrary, I think your faith is stronger than you realize. You need to separate out your OCD from your faith, they are different things altogether.

This reminds me of a story I read months ago. Mr. Rogers, if you don't know, was a Presbyterian minister that had a children's program in the US. Once he got a letter from a little boy and his mom that had severe health problems and he was angry, even angry at God and hurt himself and asked for Mr. Roger's prayers. Mr. Rogers wrote to the boy, "I don't need to be praying for you, you need to be praying for me", because he told him anyone who suffers is close to God. The little boy started praying for Mr. Rogers after that and his mom said his behaviors improved. Sometimes what we need is something that draws us outside ourselves and our worries to see the truth of our situation.

The truth of the situation is that you do indeed have faith and it is not going anywhere. You just need to stop trying so hard. We sin, that's what we do. But God forgives, that's what God does. And he is happy to do it because he loves you.

Whatever is eating you up, let it go. Take a vacation from responsibility, if you can. Do something that makes you genuinely happy, perhaps something you have not allowed yourself to do in some time.

I have also experienced the sort of thing you are experiencing, though not as severe. I did not experience freedom from this sort of anxiety until I spent some time in a Lutheran church with a pastor and a Christian therapist who could guide me into seeing myself in a more healthy way and separating out the negativity in my life. There are some books on religious scrupulosity and OCD I have in my collection I could look up and recommend to you.

19. ☦Marius☦

☦Marius☦ Student of Christ Supporter

+144
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    I too listen to alot of pagan metal sometimes. I used to be interested in Asatru/Occult philosophies. I used to also feel overwhelming guilt for every little slip up. Thing about Orthodoxy is- its all about forgiveness. Sure we are working towards righteousness- but its faith that saves us. Works simply are the nourishment with which we feed our faith.

Music is a powerful influencer. The more I fall in love with Orthodoxy the more I want to listen to less of that. Its natural to have a pull towards paganism. All paganism is nature based and our physical bodies are Animalistic. I wouldn't say its the worst thing to listen to a bit of secular music, or even other type of religious music- as long as it isn't overly sexual or blaspheming.

I would say the best solution is learn to defeat paganism on its own ground. Orthodoxy is strong because of it's theology. Study and compare the two and see which one makes more sense to follow for a lifetime. Its hard for me to see worshiping Gods that are no better than I am, and do not really care about me.

20. Servant _Of_Christ

+1,037
    United Kingdom
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    UK-Labour
    i think your right with needing to separate my OCD from my faith i think that what the problem is mostly really i have had my dr tell me to go out side more i love walking but the days are short and its hardly any sun winter in Scotland is very dark and gloomy wish scotland more sunny like during the spring but even then the days are hardly sunny summer i burn so much because of the medication am on make me burn more so spring can be good on good days thank you for replying to me and yes please i would like to read books on this subject i think it would help me a lot i need to think about what av not done in along time i need to sit down and really think about it thank you again