• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

AA or God?

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am currently getting treatment for my addiction and alcoholism. There are a few options out there for those who seek group meetings. There is AA, NA, and SMART to name a few.

My uncle told me to put my faith first, and to attend those AA meetings for a few months.

What do you guys think I should do?

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am currently getting treatment for my addiction and alcoholism. There are a few options out there for those who seek group meetings. There is AA, NA, and SMART to name a few.

My uncle told me to put my faith first, and to attend those AA meetings for a few months.

Do you know who are most effective? I guess you should go there.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
✟15,562.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm not entirely sure what your uncle meant.
My take on your issue is this. You don't have to choose one or the other, namely between AA and God. I suggest you go to the meetings that suit your need best (e.g.: AA) having faith that God can use other people to bring healing to your situation.

I wish you the best on your journey!

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believing in God and leaning upon Him first of all and theres nothing wrong with getting the support you need from the other meetings. Praying God becomes your new addiction :clap: like you cant get enough of Him, gotta have Him :D

May HE still the nerves and blood stream, cleansing your body of all the desires of alcohol in JESUS NAME, no shakes, nothing but peace and calm.

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't know what will work guaranteed for YOU but I will tell you what happened to me as I used to be a drug addict. I went to AA and NA for about 4-5 years but it never helped, I couldn't stay sober for longer than 30 days or even live a productive life at all, although I made lots of friends at meetings... the 12-steps helped open up my eyes to common sense I was lacking and basic moral principles such as learning to be selfless, helping others, and being a responsible adult because I was a very selfish person. But when I found the REAL God, my eyes were forever opened... for the past 5 years I have been praying, fasting, studying Gods Word, and completely immersed in Christian activities and over time God has delivered me of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, profanity, and a host of others... those meetings can help but without God being number 1, nothing will change, I had to learn that the hard way. I no longer do drugs or even smoke cigarettes or vape which is a miracle in itself. Your uncle is right, put Jesus first

Upvote 0

starrfairy

Aug 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I was addicted to Meth & I was an IV drug user. I did go to treatment & then a half way house after. They do say in the program "what ever works for you". I stayed clean for 10 months & then relapsed for a year. And to spare you the details, basically I had finally had enough and one night I was calling out to God on my bedroom floor. Hitting myself and pulling my hair out (literally) - freaking out & tripping. I knew that night I was gonna kill myself. God knew to....HE stepped in though! After calling & crying out to Him I passed out on my bedroom floor, but when I woke up I was DELIVERED! I immediately threw all my needles and EVERYTHING away! A REAL MIRACLE!

Since then I have found my home church, in which I am heavily involved. I go 3 times a week. The normal Wed&Sun and then Friday night we have a group called "Crossroads". It's amazing! No matter how I felt or what I had to do, I made sure every time those church doors were open, that I was there! It has paid off! God has completely restored and renewed my life!

For some people meetings & AA/NA work! My thing was I ways always looking around wondering how many people were still using and drinking and then picking up chips? I had a friend whose bf was chairing meetings, but taking "Kratom" ( I had to look it up bc I didn't even know what it was LOL). I know friends that have told me the best place to get drugs is a meeting! Meetings do work for some people. They like to say "It works if you work it. The same goes for God & a relationship with Jesus. What you put in it is what you get out of it. I understand us can addicts and alcoholics can relate & we can share our experience, strength & hope, but nothing is like GOD.

His promises and Power, His Spirit, Godly support & fellowship and most importantly HIS GRACE is what has kept me clean! Anytime you have even a thought of using or drinking all you have to do it "Bind satan in the name of Jesus". The only power the enemy has is the power we give him.The word says he walks a round LIKE a roaring lion. He isn't a lion though.

It is honestly whatever works for you. Jesus is what works for me!

Hope this helped!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was addicted to Meth & I was an IV drug user. I did go to treatment & then a half way house after. They do say in the program "what ever works for you". I stayed clean for 10 months & then relapsed for a year. And to spare you the details, basically I had finally had enough and one night I was calling out to God on my bedroom floor. Hitting myself and pulling my hair out (literally) - freaking out & tripping. I knew that night I was gonna kill myself. God knew to....HE stepped in though! After calling & crying out to Him I passed out on my bedroom floor, but when I woke up I was DELIVERED! I immediately threw all my needles and EVERYTHING away! A REAL MIRACLE!

Since then I have found my home church, in which I am heavily involved. I go 3 times a week. The normal Wed&Sun and then Friday night we have a group called "Crossroads". It's amazing! No matter how I felt or what I had to do, I made sure every time those church doors were open, that I was there! It has paid off! God has completely restored and renewed my life!

For some people meetings & AA/NA work! My thing was I ways always looking around wondering how many people were still using and drinking and then picking up chips? I had a friend whose bf was chairing meetings, but taking "Kratom" ( I had to look it up bc I didn't even know what it was LOL). I know friends that have told me the best place to get drugs is a meeting! Meetings do work for some people. They like to say "It works if you work it. The same goes for God & a relationship with Jesus. What you put in it is what you get out of it. I understand us can addicts and alcoholics can relate & we can share our experience, strength & hope, but nothing is like GOD.

His promises and Power, His Spirit, Godly support & fellowship and most importantly HIS GRACE is what has kept me clean! Anytime you have even a thought of using or drinking all you have to do it "Bind satan in the name of Jesus". The only power the enemy has is the power we give him.The word says he walks a round LIKE a roaring lion. He isn't a lion though.

It is honestly whatever works for you. Jesus is what works for me!

Hope this helped!

Nice testimony, makes me a little jealous I didn't have an immediate deliverance like that haha jk. What else has God restored/healed in your life?

Upvote 0

starrfairy

Aug 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nice testimony, makes me a little jealous I didn't have an immediate deliverance like that haha jk. What else has God restored/healed in your life?

Well I was living with a guy, that I wasn't married to. I had no car, no job and no place to call "my home". I now have an incredible job, a vehicle, My own place & I get to see my daughter! I wasn't before!

Also I have a church family and God has slowly but surely revealed my calling to me. I truly believe I'm destined to help people. Mainly homeless & prostitutes, sex trafficking victims etc. He has restored my sanity, my health & most importantly a REAL relationship with HIM.

Reactions: kittypl
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I was living with a guy, that I wasn't married to. I had no car, no job and no place to call "my home". I now have an incredible job, a vehicle, My own place & I get to see my daughter! I wasn't before!

Also I have a church family and God has slowly but surely revealed my calling to me. I truly believe I'm destined to help people. Mainly homeless & prostitutes, sex trafficking victims etc. He has restored my sanity, my health & most importantly a REAL relationship with HIM.

That's really encouraging, thanks for sharing. That relationship with God is huge. I was arrested many times in my drug using days and someone actually laid hands on me and told me they saw me doing jail ministry but that hasn't panned out yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

starrfairy

Aug 11, 2017
Louisiana
✟15,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's really encouraging, thanks for sharing. That relationship with God is huge. I was arrested many times in my drug using days and someone actually laid hands on me and told me they saw me doing jail ministry but that hasn't panned out yet.

Well he's not done with you yet!

So basically someone prophesied over you? -- That is too COOL. Well at least it gives you somewhat of a vision to know where your headed. At least you have somewhat of a direction!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well he's not done with you yet!

So basically someone prophesied over you? -- That is too COOL. Well at least it gives you somewhat of a vision to know where your headed. At least you have somewhat of a direction!

Yea it was a friend at my college house church... this was 4 years ago right after I accepted Christ. I mentioned him saying that to me to him like 6 months later and he didn't even remember saying that to me lol, but it would make sense and really make my history of drug abuse and legal problems be used for good, and Gods glory

• Agree
Reactions: starrfairy
Upvote 0