Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, a homeowner has erected a zombie nativity in his front yard. He has been asked to take it down due to violating a town ordinance about the allowed size of outdoor structures that have no permit (although there is an inference here that the reasons may be more due to offending religious sensibilities).

6278707_G.jpg

The Zombie Nativity

What do you think?

Peace...

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll give the guy an "A" for creativity. I find it a little amusing. The guy manages a haunted house, I get where he's going with it... little fun, little promotion.

This is where I was going with it. I wasn't so concerned with the town telling him to take it down. If it is within the regulations he can fight it and win, if not, he will have to take it down. But I was impressed with his creativity. In fact, as a Christian, it didn't really bother me at all, in fact, it inspired me. I was thinking of the metaphors I could address by such a display. Zombie characters could easily represent the state of unregenerate man, and combined with a non-zombie baby Jesus representing the fact that He was born alive in the spririt without sin would attract attention and garner questions and provide a great opportunity for conversation about the gospel. I have no idea of this mans religious beliefs, from reading the article, it appears to me that it was more a promotion for his business, but then, who knows?

Peace...

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Given this
According to documents obtained by Fox 19, Sycamore Township, which is outside Cincinnati, does not allow structures to be located in the front or the side yard to occupy more than 35 percent of the area. Also, the primary structure must be 3 feet from the street, and 6 feet from the house.
It's kinda easy to see why the city wants it down.

Until he can provide pictures of other nativities this large and prove they're not being asked to take theirs down, he's got no case.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Is it heretical?

It's a nativity scene. One might question the characters, but I've seen nativity scenes made out of bacon, too.

I'm not looking at anything religious here. I'm looking at the statutes and saying it's easy to see why they want it down.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it heretical?

Maybe, if the guy is a Christian...

??

What about those giant made in China light up plastic nativity scenes... with the almost snow white skin and "surfer Jesus" looks, vibrant primary colored clothing, etc. etc... gaudy, tacky, cheep...

What about the "Peanuts" nativity scenes? (Charlie Brown)

What about the cheep wire frame ones that are covered with the little mini tree lights?

What about the living nativity scenes, where the church also has Santa running about in his jolly red suit saying "Ho Ho Ho" and handing out candy to the kids visiting the nativity with their parents?

I don't know where the lines are drawn.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From my perspective, it's blasphemous. However, people have the right to do blasphemous things on their own property, so long as they don't go against ordinances and neighborhood association rules, I suppose.

ETA- I'm not a nativity scene fan really. Icons for the win.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He's in Sycamore Township (named in the article) and I looked for about a minute but didn't immediately see an ordinance list. It's probably there.

But he has until December 26th to take it down. At least he'll get through Christmas. Then he can handle his business with the city if it means enough to him.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a nativity scene. One might question the characters, but I've seen nativity scenes made out of bacon, too.
Finally, an exception to the "everything's better with bacon" rule.:cool:

Reactions: dkbwarrior
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Would love to see the regulations, couldn't find them on the Deer Park OH page.

I assume the article got it right...

According to documents obtained by Fox 19, Sycamore Township, which is outside Cincinnati, does not allow structures to be located in the front or the side yard to occupy more than 35 percent of the area. Also, the primary structure must be 3 feet from the street, and 6 feet from the house.

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Given this
It's kinda easy to see why the city wants it down.

Until he can provide pictures of other nativities this large and prove they're not being asked to take theirs down, he's got no case.

Yea, this is one of those cases where a law from the 1800s about wearing socks in bed, or spitting is brought up because the charges they want to file are otherwise a nuisance to obtain.

This is, at worst satanic - at worst. But, that still wouldn't mean anything... many of us have seen the real spiritual enemies up close. Puppets shouldn't offend.

It would be funny if he is a haunted house owner as said before. And, you could even get literary and artistic meaning from this, as someone said earlier.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yea, this is one of those cases where a law from the 1800s about wearing socks in bed, or spitting is brought up because the charges they want to file are otherwise a nuisance to obtain.

No, I don't think so.

Cities are pretty anal when it comes to enforcing these types of regulations, and not just during Christmas. There are safety reasons and whatnot for having them in place.

I remember one year one of our neighbors had this horrible front yard display and the city made him take it down and he cried discrimination and whatnot, but the truth was, there were three accidents at the intersection because his display blocked oncoming traffic from sight.

This is, at worst satanic - at worst. But, that still wouldn't mean anything... many of us have seen the real spiritual enemies up close. Puppets shouldn't offend.

I still don't see where anyone has been religiously offended by it. I'm not - I just find it be UGLY.

It would be funny if he is a haunted house owner as said before. And, you could even get literary and artistic meaning from this, as someone said earlier.

he is a haunted house owner, which makes me wonder why he didn't put this up where he would put up his haunted house.

Upvote 0