A world designed for only half the population.

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is one of the reasons why you need women in power as well as women in the workplace.

As human beings, we have unconscious biases and these sorts of things are pervasive in every aspect of human involvement.

I consider myself very liberal and egalitarian. I believe in equality for all... and even I will have biases towards my race and gender when writing, designing, creating, etc anything...

it is just human nature.

best way to combat this imo is to have all races, genders, etc represented in as many aspects of life and the workplace as possible.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There has been female body armor for quite a bit of time as my Coast Guard unit purchased four sets in 2002.
That is true, but allegedly they are tested for men. That is the point.

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, had not even occurred to me that when testing cars they only test for the safety of men. Stab vests are designed for men , not women. Indeed in the workplace safety research is scuwed towards men.

Given that I'm taller than the average man in the UK than the average man is taller than the average woman I can assure you that most works PPE is just as poorly designed for taller people, and an ill-fitting stabbie that stops at roughly mid-stomach (so nicely protecting the bits with lots of bone under the skin anyway while leaving all the delicate squishy bits of intestine completely unprotected) is probably just as useless as one that's too long to the extent that you can't wear it while driving.

And really don't get me started on the range of one-size-doesn't-fit-all things like safety goggles

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There are far more men employed in dangerous jobs, at least here in the US. Most serious on-the-job accidents involve men.

I did look at this - the UK Health and Safety Executive publishes lists of fatal workplace accidents in their purview (so most workplaces, but excluding air crashes and automotive crashes by delivery drivers).

Of the 145 fatal accidents in England and Wales that happened in that year a whopping three were women (one supervisor in a quarry who was hit by machinery, one paramedic who was hit by a car and a smallholding farmer who was crushed by a heifer).

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So there's physiological differences between men and women that need to be considered here?
Quite obviously. If car safety has been based on using men as the basis for test dummies then something is wrong in regard to safety. In regard to stab vests, would you base one designed to be worn by women on the safety test carried out on men? Or design and safety test with women in mind?

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Quite obviously. If car safety has been based on using men as the basis for test dummies then something is wrong in regard to safety. In regard to stab vests, would you base one designed to be worn by women on the safety test carried out on men? Or design and safety test with women in mind?

Why are you asking me?

Either there's physiological differences between men and women...or there aren't.

If there are, then why does the left insist on trans women competing against women? Do those physiological differences stop mattering?

It's not my issue. It's just hard to follow the rationale of a group that's constantly saying those differences don't exist....or don't matter....then flip around and claim they do exist and matter....

They don't matter here....but they do matter here....but they don't matter here....but they do matter here....you shouldn't even claim they exist in this case....of course they exist in that case though....

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why are you asking me?

Either there's physiological differences between men and women...or there aren't.

If there are, then why does the left insist on trans women competing against women? Do those physiological differences stop mattering?

It's not my issue. It's just hard to follow the rationale of a group that's constantly saying those differences don't exist....or don't matter....then flip around and claim they do exist and matter....

They don't matter here....but they do matter here....but they don't matter here....but they do matter here....you shouldn't even claim they exist in this case....of course they exist in that case though....
And I've posted about transpeople and sports where? Talk about assuming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As I have never denied obviously they do.

Oh joy...

So let's imagine that someone designs a seatbelt for men, and a seatbelt for women, based on those differences...

You're not going to have any issues with that person who was born a man being told they should get a man's seatbelt...even if they believe they're a woman?

What about regulations regarding safety gear? We're basically telling that trans woman they're still a man....right?

• Winner
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh joy...

So let's imagine that someone designs a seatbelt for men, and a seatbelt for women, based on those differences...

You're not going to have any issues with that person who was born a man being told they should get a man's seatbelt...even if they believe they're a woman?

What about regulations regarding safety gear? We're basically telling that trans woman they're still a man....right?
Well I doubt one will see gender specific seat belts, so that's your first failed argument. Think about it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well I doubt one will see gender specific seat belts, so that's your first failed argument. Think about it.

What is this article about then? If it makes no difference whether crash test dummies are based on men or women, why in the world would they test both?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What is this article about then? If it makes no difference whether crash test dummies are based on men or women, why in the world would they test both?
Seriously? Wow talk talk about cognotive bias getting in the way of being able to read English.

Car safety is not just about seat belts. Testing using a better sample of those who use cars would help in developing better car safety.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't think one can compare under-representation of tall people versus women because women are 50% of the society, which is in stark contrast to tall people who are a much smaller percentage of the overall population. It's the same way for left-handed people; we are a much smaller population (~10%), so it's not unreasonable for items to be designed for right-handed people. In the case of women, they are using many of the things that are designed based on male physiology, so it's a disservice to design cars around an exclusively male body. I think one solution is to introduce more models for product design.

Upvote 0