• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

A woman's faith

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by KaylaI, Apr 8, 2021 at 2:46 AM.

1. KaylaI

KaylaI New Member

+1
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Hello, I am a new member to the forum but have read the posts for a long time and have found them very useful. I wondered if someone might be able to help me with this. Last week, I was speaking to a Catholic friend who argued that women should not be priests or deacons and he had some very persuasive arguments. He was saying how there were no women disciples and Jesus was a man. I am Christian and a woman and I don't agree with him. I think we
    are all God's children and some of the best guidance I have received has been from women. What at do you think? What would you have said? He is very devout and was able to quote a lot of scripture and although I don't think I agree with him, it was difficult for me to express my thoughts. Really interested to see what people think.:help:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. longwait

longwait Well-Known Member

+707
    Christian
    Married
    Hello! Welcome to the forum. Where I come from there are no female priests or pastors so I felt really weird seeing them in western countries. But now I got used to it.

3. adderbolt

adderbolt Member

+126
    United States
    Reformed
    Divorced
    Women are more likely to see the value of a local church. Women are more intelligent and better able to express ideas of faith and doctrine. But what does God's word instruct as to the gender of pastors and elders? After all that is the key to this 'locked door' ...

4. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+2,898
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I am not aware of any Scripture that specifically states that a woman cannot be a priest or pastor. I would be interested to know what Scriptures he quoted. It is true that Jesus was a man and His disciples were male but there were female judges in the O.T. Mary Magdalen was a follower of Jesus and went on to have a ministry in France. The only issue I ever had with a woman priest was because she insisted on people calling her father. I have no idea what denomination she was but she did dress in traditional priest garb.

5. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+6,544
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Welcome. :)

I don't think the idea that Jesus had no women disciples holds up. When Mary sat at Jesus's feet, while Martha was busy getting things ready, she was clearly functioning as a disciple. She was learning from the Teacher, which Jesus said was the better part. Jesus had a number of women disciples, some of whom supported Jesus and his followers. Jesus had more than just twelve disciples (for instance, he sends out seventy in Luke's gospel). John's gospel doesn't even name the 12 (unlike the synoptics).

"Soon afterwards he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God. The twelve were with him, as well as some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary, called Magdalene, from whom seven demons had gone out, and Joanna, the wife of Herod’s steward Chuza, and Susanna, and many others, who provided for them out of their resources." Luke 8:1-3

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 7:07 AM
  6. NomNomPizza

NomNomPizza Active Member

+110
    Poland
    Christian
    Private
    Yea women are forbidden to have any authority over men and to even speak or teach in church , they can teach younger women after church service.

1)
    9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

2)A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

7. KaylaI

KaylaI New Member

+1
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you, everyone. These are all really interesting points and have given me a lot to think about. :idea::amen::clap: