Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Monday 11-18-19, Cheshvan 20, 5780 2nd. day of the weekly cycle, 57th. Fall day,

The story of the woman taken in adultery (John Eight:1-11) is one of the most popular and widely cited gospel stories today, yet this was not always so.

th

John Eight:1-11 King James Version (KJV)

A Woman Is Caught In Adultery:

1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Love always, Walter and Debbie

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
She was blessed to have her sin not held against her.

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never ...
Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him."
Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him." Berean Literal Bible blessed is the man against whom the Lord will never reckon sin."

Interesting account of the woman too,
hardly ever accepted , believed, and lived by Christians.

Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Upvote 0

Walter and Deborah

Feb 10, 2015
U.S.A.
Visit site
✟189,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is also symbolic of the gospel & why Jesus came, that anyone who commits sin & breaks God's Law will receive the punishment of death. Mercifully Jesus steps in , stops her accusers and the woman is saved from receiving the penalty for her sin. Jesus tells her to go and repent...it foreshadows the gospel.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you have been paying attention to more recent translations of the Gospel of John, you will have noticed that John 7:53 - 8:11—the story of the woman caught in adultery of whom Jesus says, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her”—has been getting some interesting treatment by the scholars. The evidence that it was not an original part of this gospel is clear. The verses are absent from a wide array of early and diverse witnesses (papyrus 66, papyrus 75, A [Codex Sinaiticus], B [Codex Vaticanus] and a host of others), and there is evidence that some manuscripts of John place these verses after John 7:36, some after John 7;52, some after John 21:25, and one manuscript even has it in the Gospel of Luke after Luke 21:38.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some people just must argue no matter what.

If I am your "some people", I was not looking for an argument just stating some interesting facts that bear on the verses in question. Take it or leave it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see Jesus telling her that.

He tells her go and sin no more.

She already, apparently, "turned to God" (the Father and/or Jesus), willingly.

Mmmm not sure about that...

She was bought to Him against her will and likely in great shame...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Mmmm not sure about that...

She was bought to Him against her will and likely in great shame...

From the context, maybe unknown for sure, would she be relieved to be forgiven?

Did she obey Jesus ? Hopefully she did, just as hopefully everyone else reading would also obey Jesus, but He does not verify she or anyone does - does He? (at that time anyway)... He simply warns what will or may happen if she (or another reading?) sins again.... becoming worse than before , eh?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the context, maybe unknown for sure, would she be relieved to be forgiven?

She would have been totally blown away - she was facing painful execution.

My guess is she would have been so overcome by the Love of Jesus and so impacted that 'go and sin no more' would have been heeded to the max.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The covenant that Moses' people agreed upon with God commands that adulterers be put to death-- both the man and the woman --no excuses and no exceptions.

Lev 20:10 . . And the man that commits adultery with another man's wife, even he that commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

However, the covenant requires the testimony of a minimum of at least two witnesses in capital cases.

Deut 17:6-7 . . At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death. The hands of the witnesses shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So thou shalt put the evil away from among you.

As it turned out; every one of the witnesses against the woman disqualified themselves.

John 8:6-9 . . Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them: He among you without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.

. . . Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.

Consequently; the accusation was dropped.

John 8:10-11 . . Jesus said to her: Woman, where are they? Does no one condemn you? And she said: No one, sir. And Jesus said: Neither do I condemn you

Christ had to let her go because he wasn't a legitimate witness; but even had he been, the covenant requires that defendants be freed sans a minimum of two witnesses in capital cases.

FAQ: What do you suppose Jesus wrote on the ground with his finger?

A: I suspect it was the names of girlfriends with whom the woman's accusers had committed adultery and thought no one knew about.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the entire scenario was staged and fake and was used to try to trick Christ into making the wrong judgment. That's something they did to Christ often to try to show his judgment was wrong or against Jewish law. I don't believe the woman was caught in adultery, and she wasn't in danger of being stoned. They were just testing Christ and I think he knew it from the beginning.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the entire scenario was staged and fake and was used to try to trick Christ into making the wrong judgment. That's something they did to Christ often to try to show his judgment was wrong or against Jewish law. I don't believe the woman was caught in adultery, and she wasn't in danger of being stoned. They were just testing Christ and I think he knew it from the beginning.

So you think nobody cast a stone because they knew she was innocent?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So you think nobody cast a stone because they knew she was innocent?

Ultimately, yes.

Joh 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

They are leaving out that the witnesses of her supposed act of adultery are supposed to be present, as is the man she supposedly committed adultery with.

Deu_17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

These are the first clues that this entire thing is not proper. If she had actually been caught in adultery and had proper witnesses then the law did say she should be stoned.

Joh 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

The tempting means there is something not legal or proper in all of this and I suggest it was all staged and fake. There was no woman caught in adultery and definitely no man present that was caught in adultery with her. They simply wanted him to convict her without the proper evidence of guilt and they would be able to use that against him.

Lev 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

The man committing this supposed adultery wasn't there with the accused woman. Declaring the woman to be guilty and stoned but no man whom she committed the sin with means she cannot be legally convicted by herself. That would be a breach of the law and against the law itself. If Christ said she was guilty and to stone her, he would be in error since the man would have to be present and convicted as well.

No death sentence can be pronounced without at least two witnesses and there were none presented in the scenario. There is no such thing as a one person act of adultery. Not guilty is the only correct answer possible.

Upvote 0