Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In Bible study and Christian theology I have three basic rules. The Scriptures are foundational, doctrine is essential and simplicity is the prize. Theology, the core element of Biblical revelation, is what you call existential. In other words the key are the principles that run throughout Scripture, worship and reality. The reality of God, his divine attributes and eternal nature (Rom. 1:18-22; Psalm 19:1-4) is a self-evident fact, never argued for in Scripture or as a matter of faith. This is called God's natural revelation, there is also a special revelation made through prophets, priests, apostles and ultimately the final revelation is found in Christ (Col. 3:1-4)

The last book of the Bible is a special revelation made to the church to show us God's judgment at the end of the age. I'm not here to defend my theology or some hermeneutic, a literal, futuristic fulfillment of predictive prophecy is assumed a priori, (without prior) and not open for debate. I have no intention of going verse by verse but if there is a passage someone might want to look more closely at I would be very interested.

That said I want to tell you this story, the narrative of things from a future that is closer then we think. This is the scenario as I understand it. I contend that Revelations is one of the most misunderstood books in Scripture and we have endless expositions of well meaning expositors galore. I want to take you on a journey, a frightening and terrifying epic battle between God and the armies of the Antichrist. I specifically want to introduce you to the people of the Tribulation that oppose the Antichrist and witness to the people of earth at that time. These are the tribulation saints, they are both Jew and Gentile, young and old, rich and poor. They are not unlike the Old Testament saints or the body of New Testament believers that came before them.

I'm going to assume the reader is familiar with the basis for the tribulation period being 7 years (Daniel 9:24,25; Rev. 11:2,3). Further more I'm going to assume you understand the doctrine of the resurrection of the church and the rapture, 'translation', of believers at the end of the return of Christ (1 Thess. 4:17). I'm not concerned when the rapture will occur or what specialized theology (dispensational or covenant), you happen to subscribe to. The author of the original scroll was the Apostle John who Pastured the church in Ephesus and finished his ministry in old age as an elder. Finally I will assume the reader is familiar with the ominous warning not to add to or take away from the prophecy of this book (Rev. 22:18,19).

That said, John wrote this in Greek but the imagery is profoundly Levitical. The opening scene of Jesus and the 7 pronged lampstand, aka the Menorah, is of Christ as our faithful High Priest tending to the only light in the Holy Place. A six foot tall, olive oil filled, light bearing symbol of the church being the proverbial lamp that cannot be hid. His rebuke to some of the churches of Asia Minor while harsh, is just a part of the discipline God necessarily applies to his ministers of the gospel. Before the opening of the seals of the scroll the lampstand, that symbolizes these churches, is blazing before the throne. The Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world is found worthy to open this scroll, and with the opening of the first seal God's final revelation, the tribulation period, is underway.

First let me introduce you to our beloved spiritual ancestors, who seeded so many churches in Asia Minor. Let's say John has returned from his exile in Patmos, a small mining colony in the Aegean Sea, about 50 miles from Ephesus. Under his arm he is carrying a scroll, dressed in little more the rags, we greet him as he departs the ship. We take him to the church and he reads it to the church at Ephesus, with tears of joy and celebration John tells you and I we are to take six copies of the scroll to each of the other seven churches.

Starting north we will follow the Roman road through Asia Minor, stopping at Smyna, that has had all their worldly possessions seized but are living in the outlying areas in the more rural areas surrounding the city. The pressing further north, we come to Pergamum, the capitol of Asia Minor where the Roman Governor resides. Heading east and then south we find ourselves in a smaller city on an important waterway and see a church in tears and the Lord's words are read and they take the stinging rebuke for their backslide into pagan practices. Continuing eastward to Sardis it's an uphill climb as we approach the great fortified walls of that city. In Philadelphia we see the marathon ministry of a church exhausted but disciplined church that greatly rejoices that their hard work will finally yield an open door and unparalleled ministry opportunity. In Laodicia we encounter a wealthy body of believers who had worked to plant the seeds of ministry in Colossae. Dismayed and contrite they thank us for the scroll and send us on our way back west to Ephesus.

That's the background with more to come. I'll wait and see if there is any interest in a further exposition of the text.

Grace and peace,
Mark

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The last book of the Bible is a special revelation made to the church to show us God's judgment at the end of the age.
the last book of the bible is not about the second coming -
it is about the first coming -
written by john the baptist to prepare the way -
later updated by the apostle to deal with the followers of the baptist in ephesus

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
the last book of the bible is not about the second coming -
it is about the first coming -
written by john the baptist to prepare the way -
later updated by the apostle to deal with the followers of the baptist in ephesus
No it's not about the first coming, John the baptist has nothing to do with it and I think you just made that up off the top of your head

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No it's not about the first coming, John the baptist has nothing to do with it and I think you just made that up off the top of your head
I have been researching this for over 20 years and I am aware of all the waco views

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been researching this for over 20 years and I am aware of all the waco views
So you decide to invent a new one? The Apostle John wrote the Revelation (Revelations). Revelations is not a difficult book, the problem is people can complicate a tuna salad sandwich. My view of Revelations is pretty straight forward, seals at the beginning (Rev. ch. 1-7). Trumpets in the middle (Rev. ch. 8-14), vials of wrath toward the end (Rev. ch. 15-21). Of course there are a lot of other things going on obviously, but that's a general outline. Toward the end of the Trumpet blasts the two witnesses finish their testimony in Jerusalem that ends after 3 1/2 years. Between the seals and the Trumpets, the Trumpets and the Vials are considerable periods of time. During those times it's all conquest and plunder

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums