Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll have to retire. At 46, I feel every patient lift over the last nineteen years. Who knows the extent of the damage done to my back?

EMS, one of the most unhealthiest jobs there is. At least that is my opinion.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll have to retire. At 46, I feel every patient lift over the last nineteen years. Who knows the extent of the damage done to my back?

I know what you mean. As the resident manager of an apartment building I have had occasions to help elderly tenants off the floor. It is amazing how much dead weight they have. One lady was in a corner and I couldn't get a good hold on her, so I stuffed some pillows around her and called 911. She wasn't hurt and we both had a good laugh over it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marc b

Nov 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apart from working until you die ; staying single and childless is also great for your finances.

Whatever any of that is smart is debatable.

lol! Well since you have none of those then add to that list not buying a car, a home, tv, anything for yourself. You can buy a house tho if you really want to, but not for yourself. Just buy it for investment and rent it out, while you live in your moms basement until it's paid. Or you can live in one of the smallest room, and rent every room including the basement to others. The rest of your money, you should put into other investments.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol! Well since you have none of those then add to that list not buying a car, a home, tv, anything for yourself. You can buy a house tho if you really want to, but not for yourself. Just buy it for investment and rent it out, while you live in your moms basement until it's paid. Or you can live in one of the smallest room, and rent every room including the basement to others. The rest of your money, you should put into other investments.

Hey, stop stealing my ideas! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

marc b

Nov 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey, stop stealing my ideas! ;)

Hahaha...well here's one you might not have thought of yet.

Back in the 70s, a moneyed family friend told my dad a millionaire friend would sometimes call when a nearby church was serving their fav soup. So they'd put on shaby clothes and line up for a free meal.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hahaha...well here's one you might not have thought of yet.

Back in the 70s, a moneyed family friend told my dad a millionaire friend would sometimes call when a nearby church was serving their fav soup. So they'd put on shaby clothes and line up for a free meal.

I knew a guy who had a large family to feed, who would weigh cartons of eggs to get the heaviest ones.

• Haha
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apart from working until you die ; staying single and childless is also great for your finances.

No debate there. Even if marriage doesn't work out your kids will be the joy of your life, and your best legacy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Do you work out? Muscle tone is the support for lifting.

maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
That's the spirit.

I'm being serious. I am generally working four days a week, thirteen+ hour shifts. When I am not working I have my kids who are too young to be left alone.

I also do not enjoy working out. It's extremely boring.

There is also the fact that all the muscle tone in the world cannot help the fact that we cannot always lift people in the correct position not to do damage to our backs. We have to do some pretty awkward lifts for a myriad of reasons. That wreaks havoc on a back as well. Mostly, it's being twisted one way or the other when lifting.

Many times we're required to lift more than we should. We're supposed to lift up to 200 pounds each for a two man crew. That doesn't include the stretcher weight, only patient weight. So, we're really supposed to lift up to 280 pounds as the stretcher weighs in at 160 pounds.

After 19 years, I don't care who you are, your gonna wreak having on your back even when lifting properly.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm being serious. I am generally working four days a week, thirteen+ hour shifts. When I am not working I have my kids who are too young to be left alone.

I also do not enjoy working out. It's extremely boring.

There is also the fact that all the muscle tone in the world cannot help the fact that we cannot always lift people in the correct position not to do damage to our backs. We have to do some pretty awkward lifts for a myriad of reasons. That wreaks havoc on a back as well. Mostly, it's being twisted one way or the other when lifting.

Many times we're required to lift more than we should. We're supposed to lift up to 200 pounds each for a two man crew. That doesn't include the stretcher weight, only patient weight. So, we're really supposed to lift up to 280 pounds as the stretcher weighs in at 160 pounds.

After 19 years, I don't care who you are, your gonna wreak having on your back even when lifting properly.

It's doesn't sound like you have flattened any of your disks yet.
Intentional working out can be done without changing your daily routines.
The only solution to awkward lifts is core strengthening.
Building flexibility is easier while in bed.
I lifted my wife into her wheelchair daily for 10 years.
I had searing paid that caused me to steal opioid pain meds and mix with caffeine and aspirin for a pain cocktail.
I have no back pain or even discomfort today.

But I wanted to be pain free. That's just me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Regardless of social and family pressures that is a viable lifestyle option. The 'need' to marry and raise a family is a recent development beginning after WW2. Prior to that time it was common for many folks to remain single.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No debate there. Even if marriage doesn't work out your kids will be the joy of your life, and your best legacy.

That depends, lots of kids have brought nothing but heartache to families. If you don't have any of those you got lucky.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0