Aug 27, 2014
✟428,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This just popped up in my "Recommended videos" on YouTube, and so I'm still listening to it for the first time as I put up my groceries and, oh my goodness...there is a part where she says she was doing so much to try to get God to like her...I had to stop what I was doing and brace myself for a second. How very sad! I feel for her and all who are trapped in this web of 'toxic perfectionism' that is apparently something of a hallmark of the Mormon religion (their leaders have thankfully begun to address it in some talks, in their own way, but it still persists in the culture, if this woman's story is anything to go by). I'm glad she got out of it, and I'm thankful that she is willing to share her story like this. I know our resident Mormons will have their own thoughts on her experience, should they choose to respond, but I hope everyone can appreciate what she has to say regardless of whether or not they themselves had a different experience.

This, by the way, is where I feel the danger in what would be popularly called by our Protestant friends "works-based salvation" lies. A case like hers is a very good illustration of it: she gets the message (rightly or wrongly, according to Mormonism itself; I'm not posting this to argue whether or not it should be this way -- I think it's pretty obvious it shouldn't, and I highly doubt our Mormon friends would disagree with that conclusion -- only as a warning that this is what can happen due to that kind of soteriology) from the Mormon religion and culture that she has to do all of this 'stuff' to be 'perfect' and to be accepted, not just before her fellow Mormons but even before God. It is not surprise that it leads to where it lead, which is out of the Mormon religion and away from all of that. We simply cannot perfect ourselves (that's what Pelagianism was about, and why it was rightly condemned). Only God can perfect us, and our part in this process is to come before Him in sincere supplication that He may forgive us our sins, may transform us and renew us and lift us up from the depths of sin, that He may perfect what we lack, for He tells us that His strength is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:8-10), just as He told us that He is not impressed with what we can do in first place (Psalm 147/148: "His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man"), because He has no need of our own achievements and sacrifices. The sacrifice to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart He will not despise. (Psalm 51)

Just some thoughts. I hope everyone will meditate upon the scriptures concerning this, and take from the video what they can.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This just popped up in my "Recommended videos" on YouTube, and so I'm still listening to it for the first time as I put up my groceries and, oh my goodness...there is a part where she says she was doing so much to try to get God to like her...I had to stop what I was doing and brace myself for a second. How very sad! I feel for her and all who are trapped in this web of 'toxic perfectionism' that is apparently something of a hallmark of the Mormon religion (their leaders have thankfully begun to address it in some talks, in their own way, but it still persists in the culture, if this woman's story is anything to go by). I'm glad she got out of it, and I'm thankful that she is willing to share her story like this. I know our resident Mormons will have their own thoughts on her experience, should they choose to respond, but I hope everyone can appreciate what she has to say regardless of whether or not they themselves had a different experience.

This, by the way, is where I feel the danger in what would be popularly called by our Protestant friends "works-based salvation" lies. A case like hers is a very good illustration of it: she gets the message (rightly or wrongly, according to Mormonism itself; I'm not posting this to argue whether or not it should be this way -- I think it's pretty obvious it shouldn't, and I highly doubt our Mormon friends would disagree with that conclusion -- only as a warning that this is what can happen due to that kind of soteriology) from the Mormon religion and culture that she has to do all of this 'stuff' to be 'perfect' and to be accepted, not just before her fellow Mormons but even before God. It is not surprise that it leads to where it lead, which is out of the Mormon religion and away from all of that. We simply cannot perfect ourselves (that's what Pelagianism was about, and why it was rightly condemned). Only God can perfect us, and our part in this process is to come before Him in sincere supplication that He may forgive us our sins, may transform us and renew us and lift us up from the depths of sin, that He may perfect what we lack, for He tells us that His strength is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:8-10), just as He told us that He is not impressed with what we can do in first place (Psalm 147/148: "His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man"), because He has no need of our own achievements and sacrifices. The sacrifice to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart He will not despise. (Psalm 51)

Just some thoughts. I hope everyone will meditate upon the scriptures concerning this, and take from the video what they can.
I wonder if the rich man felt the same way when Jesus said:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:21 - 22)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Some find it too hard follow Jesus.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
(New Testament | John 6:60 - 66)

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 ¶ From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder if the rich man felt the same way when Jesus said:

(New Testament | Matthew 19:21 - 22)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Some find it too hard follow Jesus.

Jesus isn't here to follow. So I'm not sure that verse is currently applicable. In other words, you're not going to be perfect without Jesus in person guiding you. That's how I understand that verse.

Upvote 0