Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"Objection stated: Probably the most obvious objection, and a very common one, is that the word “covenant” is nowhere to be found in the first two chapters of Genesis. In fact, the Hebrew word for covenant does not occur in the book of Genesis until chapter 6. These observations lead to the conclusion, so goes the objection, that there is no covenant in the Bible until Genesis 6. The covenant of works, then, is unbiblical and absolutely lacks biblical evidence.[1] It is an extra-biblical, human construct imposed on the Bible to justify one’s theological system, which obviously needs re-casting. The covenant of works has human origins, not divine. It is man’s theology, not God’s. Put in the form of a question, this objection can be stated as follows: How can there be a covenant in Genesis 2 if Moses does not say so?"

The answer is here: A Typical Objection to the Covenant of Works

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I think the people who reject the covenant of works most adamantly are the new IFB. They need to in order to protect these so called "Soul winning" operations they undertake. The IFB admit the majority of the people who are allegedly saved will not continue in a walk with God being sanctified and glorification, so they take the position zero conformity is ever needed after a born again experience. Just say a prayer and continue living in the mire of the world without repentance or God I guess is their view.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think the people who reject the covenant of works most adamantly are the new IFB. They need to in order to protect these so called "Soul winning" operations they undertake. The IFB admit the majority of the people who are allegedly saved will not continue in a walk with God being sanctified and glorification, so they take the position zero conformity is ever needed after a born again experience. Just say a prayer and continue living in the mire of the world without repentance or God I guess is their view.
Yes, the easy-believism / Lordship salvation issue comes into play. IFB's also deny the active obedience of Christ's righteousness making the Law Jesus lived perfectly of no consequence whatsoever.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the easy-believism / Lordship salvation issue comes into play. IFB's also deny the active obedience of Christ's righteousness making the Law Jesus lived perfectly of no consequence whatsoever.

So much that could be said about that group. I won't send your thread off the rails. :)

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So much that could be said about that group. I won't send your thread off the rails. :)
I think it's the natural conclusion of their rejection of the covenant of works = antinomianism.

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Definition of antinomian

1: one who holds that under the gospel dispensation of grace (see GRACE entry 1 sense 1a) the moral law is of no use or obligation because faith alone is necessary to salvation
2: one who rejects a socially established morality...
Are antinomians saved apart from their disobedience?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Definition of antinomian

1: one who holds that under the gospel dispensation of grace (see GRACE entry 1 sense 1a) the moral law is of no use or obligation because faith alone is necessary to salvation
2: one who rejects a socially established morality...
Are antinomians saved apart from their disobedience?

Websters 1828:

ANTINO'MIAN, adjective [Gr. against, and law.] Against law; pertaining to the Antinomians.

ANTINO'MIAN, noun One of a sect who maintain, that, under the gospel dispensation, the law is of no use or obligation; or who hold doctrines which supersede the necessity of good works and a virtuous life. This sect originated with John Agricola about the year 1538. (end quote)

A true antinomian cannot be saved because they lack conviction of sin, live in it and repent now. They do not have the new covenant circumcision of the heart, "I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."

"Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

"Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." "For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not be partakers with them."

That all stated no true Christian can be a true antinomian because the new covenant of grace writes of the Law of God on their hearts (Jer. 31). They can be theologically antinomian if they deny the Law but live, practically, according to it. "Although true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned,13 yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly,"

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0