Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
So what is A true church is a bit different than what is THE True church?
I guess we got off on the wrong foot?
ThatBrian feel free to comment?
The True Church is defined in several places in Scripture. Scripturally, the following statements must be true about the true Church:

1. It is built on the rock of what Peter confessed in Matthew 16.
2. It does not fail, also based on Matthew 16
3. It is the Pillar and Ground of the Truth, Vis-a-vis I Timothy 3:15
4. It is united in dogmatic Faith, teaching only one gospel, vis-a-vis Ephesians 3

The Church was not a nebulous idea in the Scriptures, but a concrete and definable construct designed by God and given to man in the upper room on Pentecost following the Ascension of Christ.
These wishy washy concepts of an "invisible church" avoid the topic of the lack of unity by saying that there is a fundamental Christianity that is supposedly accepted by all Protestants, which is obviously not really true. The only unity among Protestant denominations is a facade, thinly veiled attempts to disguise the deep-rooted dogmatic division on even the most basic dogmas, such as salvation. I'm not going to get into the debate of which is which, but the same God that saves based on free will and the response of a choice-enabled man is not the same as the God that saves based on what amounts to the lottery, but is really Hellenistic Fate doctrine shoe-horned into the gospel.

These two descriptions of God are contra-indicators of each other, for one cannot be the true God if the other is the true God. God either saves by election or by honoring the free will of mankind. He cannot be both.

This is why I would go with the ancient definition of the Church as an organism. It has organization, as every body has, but its head is Christ, as you have said earlier.

Now, you will never find a parish that is perfect, except for one that is empty of all people. The moment you or I walk into the Church building, we make that gathering an imperfect gathering. It is a hospital for the sin-sick, and not a museum for the Saints. You will expect to see people and even clergy making horrible mistakes and even falling into despicable heresies. But that is what is to be expected when men are part of anything, which is why the Church has a Head, which is Christ. He is in sovereign control, guiding the Church into all truth through the Spirit. On the individual level, there are many faults, but the proverb of Solomon reminds us that in a multitude of counsel, wisdom will be found, and when that counsel is established and curated by the Son of God, that wisdom will be infinite in nature, just as its Source is infinite in nature.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The True Church is defined in several places in Scripture. Scripturally, the following statements must be true about the true Church:

1. It is built on the rock of what Peter confessed in Matthew 16.
2. It does not fail, also based on Matthew 16
3. It is the Pillar and Ground of the Truth, Vis-a-vis I Timothy 3:15
4. It is united in dogmatic Faith, teaching only one gospel, vis-a-vis Ephesians 3

The Church was not a nebulous idea in the Scriptures, but a concrete and definable construct designed by God and given to man in the upper room on Pentecost following the Ascension of Christ.
These wishy washy concepts of an "invisible church" avoid the topic of the lack of unity by saying that there is a fundamental Christianity that is supposedly accepted by all Protestants, which is obviously not really true. The only unity among Protestant denominations is a facade, thinly veiled attempts to disguise the deep-rooted dogmatic division on even the most basic dogmas, such as salvation. I'm not going to get into the debate of which is which, but the same God that saves based on free will and the response of a choice-enabled man is not the same as the God that saves based on what amounts to the lottery, but is really Hellenistic Fate doctrine shoe-horned into the gospel.

These two descriptions of God are contra-indicators of each other, for one cannot be the true God if the other is the true God. God either saves by election or by honoring the free will of mankind. He cannot be both.

This is why I would go with the ancient definition of the Church as an organism. It has organization, as every body has, but its head is Christ, as you have said earlier.

Now, you will never find a parish that is perfect, except for one that is empty of all people. The moment you or I walk into the Church building, we make that gathering an imperfect gathering. It is a hospital for the sin-sick, and not a museum for the Saints. You will expect to see people and even clergy making horrible mistakes and even falling into despicable heresies. But that is what is to be expected when men are part of anything, which is why the Church has a Head, which is Christ. He is in sovereign control, guiding the Church into all truth through the Spirit. On the individual level, there are many faults, but the proverb of Solomon reminds us that in a multitude of counsel, wisdom will be found, and when that counsel is established and curated by the Son of God, that wisdom will be infinite in nature, just as its Source is infinite in nature.

If I could "like" this multiple times, I would.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
true people is true church. all the higher life is true church. every good thing is eternal and is the body of Christ.

physical reality is only an outer layer, like seeing the surface of the ocean. reality is spirit and there are many souls. heavenly life is church and hell is blind to true life. this world is a stage for heaven to watch and a place for souls to be saved, to grow, and to rejoice.

religion is nothing more than life with God and to exist in reality and to be aware of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is strong Biblical support for several different models of church (congregational, presbyterian [lower case], and so on. (Much has been written on this already.) You can't identify a real church from a false one based on how its earthly leadership is organized. You can't even identify one based on what it professes or believes, because everyone is individually accountable to God for their own sins.

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. (Ephesians 2:19-20, NIV)

The church was built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, but that really has nothing to do with who belongs to Jesus' church, because it is God who decides who belongs to the church, not the church. We will all face God for judgment. Scripture has a large amount to say who Jesus Christ accepts. We often refer to it as the requirements for salvation.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,884.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll borrow words from another........

I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine."

Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,194.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'll borrow words from another........

I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine."

It looks to me that you are describing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to a T.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.