Not open for further replies.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
On a traditionalist message board, a few of the members did not have very endearing things to say about Opus Dei. One posted this link;

http://www.odan.org/index.htm

I was curious to get your input on this website, particularly from the Opus Dei members here.

Thank you,

-Davide

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, these http://www.odan.org/testimonies_and_writings.htm are all testimonies from ex members. Folks tend to discount ex members since they left, but many of them are our catholic brothers and sisters, but find Opus Dei problematic to their faith and explain why that is in their stories.

Upvote 0

NDIrish

Senior Veteran
Oct 8, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟13,979.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The attacks like these are difficult to address in any meaningful way. It's a lot like when ex-Catholics bash the faith, "based on their experience". What can you say to that? You can show them what the Catholic Church really teaches, etc...but you always get "Yeah, well Fr. So-and-so did X and Y..."

Opus Dei is not for everyone, that's for sure. I think John Allen's book treated this topic fairly.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
The attacks like these are difficult to address in any meaningful way. It's a lot like when ex-Catholics bash the faith, "based on their experience". What can you say to that? You can show them what the Catholic Church really teaches, etc...but you always get "Yeah, well Fr. So-and-so did X and Y..."

Opus Dei is not for everyone, that's for sure. I think John Allen's book treated this topic fairly.

That was my inclination as well. They post 3 or 4 testimonies from ex members. But anyone with an axe to grind can find 3 or 4 ex members of any organization.

Edit: Upon a closer look at the website, there does not seem to be much merit in the arguments they put forth.

-Davide

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That was my inclination as well. They post 3 or 4 testimonies from ex members. But anyone with an axe to grind can find 3 or 4 ex members of any organization.

Edit: Upon a closer look at the website, there does not seem to be much merit in the arguments they put forth.

-Davide
more than 3-4 -

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Seventeen Years in Opus Dei, by Dennis Dubro U.S.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Deception and Drugs in Opus Dei by Maria, former numerary, Venezuela[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My Basic Human Rights Were Violated by former numerary assistant, Europe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Making Modern-Day Martyrs using Medieval Methods," by Sharon Clasen, former numerary. While many Catholic religious organizations now question whether corporal mortification brings a person closer to God, the lay organization Opus Dei embraces corporal mortification in their program of making modern-day martyrs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]What is Opus Dei? The Alternative Version[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] by M.Miki, former male numerary, Brazil, São Paulo.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Whips, Spiked Garters and Bloodshed...My Terrifying Life in Ruth Kelly's Religious Sect," by John Roche, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Mail on Sunday, UK, January 23, 2005. A former member tells how a lust for power drives the secretive Catholic organisation Opus Dei.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A Family Intervention, by Dianne R. DiNicola[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], mother of former numerary, U.S. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Inner World of Opus Dei [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Dr. John Roche, Linacre College, Oxford, U.K. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More testimonies in English, 20 responses to Franz Schaefer's website Unofficial Opus Dei from people who had negative experiences with Opus Dei.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More testimonies in Spanish The Opus Libros website contains over 500 testimonies and books written by former numerary members of Opus Dei and others.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More testimonies in Portuguese The new website Opus Dei of Brazil has over 17 testimonies and links in Portuguese.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More testimonies in French from website "Don't let yourself be trapped by sects." 4 testimonies in French, including a 1995 press conference with Maria Carmen del Tapia with 5 more testimonies.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A traditionalist attack on Opus Dei

Are they traditionalists? The founders of the forum seem to be allied with some liberal factions in and outside of the church. Is what we are seeing a conflict between Jesuits and Opus Dei? Between Liberation theology, social justice, politcal action Catholics and an order which stresses sacramental life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, I think the group probably has good and bad aspects, and perhaps the structure is somehow open to abuse by some of its members. Still, a priest I enjoyed reading his thoughts before I converted - John McCloskey ( his writeup on Opus Dei at Catholicity) - would seem to be evidence that there are some fruits of membership.

I am pretty sure Opus Dei wouldn't want me, so I'm not currently worried about being abused by them, lol.

Marcia

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I think the group probably has good and bad aspects, and perhaps the structure is somehow open to abuse by some of its members. Still, a priest I enjoyed reading his thoughts before I converted - John McCloskey ( his writeup on Opus Dei at Catholicity) - would seem to be evidence that there are some fruits of membership.

I am pretty sure Opus Dei wouldn't want me, so I'm not currently worried about being abused by them, lol.

Marcia
Marcia, I also enjoy Fr McCloskey - great guy! I'm sure OD would want you - they want everyone. They only stopped trying to recruit me after I made crystal clear that I wasn't interested in joining. I also pointed out that they should spend as much time trying to make nonbelievers into catholics as they do trying to get me into OD (I said that because I know the guys well, and they don't evangelize anything but OD) :p. I still get emails from a priest about every single day of recollection in my area...

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
One of the biggest objections to Opus Dei is the idea of corporeal mortification. We are not for this world, we are building up treasures for the next world, we need to remember this and corporeal mortification is a good reminder of that. I am interested in Opus Dei and might join up after college.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.