A time to keep: The November 1990 edition of Life Magazine.

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
On another forum someone asked the old people what it was like for gay people in the latter part of the 20th Century and when things started to changed.

I'm an old guy and I remember the exact instant things started to change.

Since 1990 Life Magazine has died, been resurrected and died again. And I was a subscriber until it stopped publishing.

I only drag this in here because it's one of the few photographs that makes me sob like a little girl, it actually changed the world's view on AIDS and gay people and it's now considered a "rare" photograph despite the fact that it's estimated at least 1 billion people have seen it. Basically people have forgotten about it in the last 27 years.

It's entitled "The last Breaths of David Kirby". It put a middle class, family values face on gay people. Things were never the same after that.

If you're wondering why it is you have to put up with gay marriage and other gay related stuff, it's because of this photo.

iu

Interestingly it was colorized and used in an advertising campaign by the United Colors of Bentton - a clothing store, with the families permission. There was some blowback from the Catholic Church on this because the Church felt it was to was allusion to depictions of Mary and the Crucified Jesus.

• Informative
Reactions: Genersis

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm incredibly grateful things aren't as crappy as they used to be.
Still feels like there's a huge amount of work to be done.
I figure it's one of those never ending struggle kind of things.

Hey Gen, do me a favor - open a thread on the OBOB polticial forum and explain who's who and what's going on in the UK on Brexit.

I don't know which party is for what or why you guys need a snap election.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hey Gen, do me a favor - open a thread on the OBOB polticial forum and explain who's who and what's going on in the UK on Brexit.

I don't know which party is for what or why you guys need a snap election.
Sure.
I'll see what I can throw together.

Upvote 0