america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Question 1: What is "thy first love," in this verse?

Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have [somewhat] against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
EDIT --
Answer a question, then ask a question of your own... are the rules which should have been stated.

Last edited:

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Question 1: What is "thy first love," in this verse?

Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have [somewhat] against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Most likely God Himself... or His ways. Perhaps both...

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Question 2: Why is Smyrna poor?

Revelation 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and [I know] the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but [are] the synagogue of Satan.

Question 3: What is the blasphemy of the synagogue of Satan?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Revelation 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and [I know] the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but [are] the synagogue of Satan.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 5:3

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven. Matthew 5:3

I agree.

I think they are also literally poor because they have love and compassion for those whose physical condition they share.

James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

By works is your faith made perfect. I believe that this may be the meaning of "thy first love."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Answer Question 1:
First love is that hunger you feel for God the day you become born again which continue unless you apostate like that church did and turned away eyes from Jesus .

Answer Question 2:
Smyrna is poor because she use the wealth gathered in that church for thier own purpose and not for purpose of people in need or purpose of preaching the gospel . You "buy gold" from Jesus by giving your wealth here on earth for the purpose of poor .( Matthew 19:21)

Answer Question 3:
Somebody pretending to be Jew but actually is of the devil ,could be wolf among sheep in church , could be replacement theology .

Question 4.
What is the doctrine of Nicolaitans spoken in Revelation 2:15 ?

Reactions: gomerian
Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Question 4: What is the meaning of "a name that thou livest"?

Revelation 3:1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Question 5: What's in a name?... Philadelphia.

Revelation 3:7-8 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My word, and hast not denied My name."

Questions
6: What is the Key of David in the Old Testament?
7: What do the descriptions of Jesus have to do with each church?
8: How has the church of Brotherly Love kept the word of Jesus?
9: What does "name" mean, in a concordance?
10: How is Revelation an open Book?

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree.

I think they are also literally poor because they have love and compassion for those whose physical condition they share.

James 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

By works is your faith made perfect. I believe that this may be the meaning of "thy first love."
Genesis 39:2 And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.
Material things do not make us rich. God being with us does.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
6: What is the Key of David in the Old Testament?
Isaiah 22:20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
22:21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
22:22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
22:23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house.

A key speaks of authority or an ability to go where you want. This is a clear prophecy about Christ. He has all authority. Matthew 28:19-20
And the name Eliakim is H471 in Strong's concordance, it means "God of raising".

Reactions: gomerian
Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Answer Question 1:
First love is that hunger you feel for God the day you become born again which continue unless you apostate like that church did and turned away eyes from Jesus .

Answer Question 2:
Smyrna is poor because she use the wealth gathered in that church for thier own purpose and not for purpose of people in need or purpose of preaching the gospel . You "buy gold" from Jesus by giving your wealth here on earth for the purpose of poor .( Matthew 19:21)

Answer Question 3:
Somebody pretending to be Jew but actually is of the devil ,could be wolf among sheep in church , could be replacement theology .

Question 4.
What is the doctrine of Nicolaitans spoken in Revelation 2:15 ?

So you see the actions of another Judas within the church of Smyrna? Passing the plate, demanding that they give all they got... only to feather their own nest? Then what is the blasphemy of those fakes? Like Matthew 12:24?

====
I really like your answer to question 3, also. :amen:

====

2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

So... therefore... because of what went before:

2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Make sense? This is the same sin that Jezebel will be thrown onto a bed of harlotry for, and then her name gets changed to Babylon. This is the sin of Babylon: to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

That sin shows up as both spiritual and physical, IMHO... one drives the other, the same way that too much stuff turned into Sodom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 22:20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
22:21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
22:22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
22:23 And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house.

A key speaks of authority or an ability to go where you want. This is a clear prophecy about Christ. He has all authority. Matthew 28:19-20
And the name Eliakim is H471 in Strong's concordance, it means "God of raising".

Yes, I agree. So that means Jesus is God of raising, and the portion of Yah.

Isaiah Chapter 22 - King James Bible With Strong's Dictionary - Bible Software by johnhurt.com

The key means:
"a primitive root; to open wide (literally or figuratively); specifically, to loosen, begin, plough, carve:--appear, break forth, draw (out), let go free, (en-)grave(-n), loose (self), (be, be set) open(-ing), put off, ungird, unstop, have vent."

The house means:
"probably from 'banah'; a house (in the greatest variation of applications, especially family, etc.):--court, daughter, door, + dungeon, family, + forth of, X great as would contain, hangings, home(born), (winter)house(-hold), inside(-ward), palace, place, + prison, + steward, + tablet, temple, web, + within(-out)."

David means:
"from an unused root meaning properly, to boil, i.e. (figuratively) to love; by implication, a love- token, lover, friend; specifically an uncle:--(well-)beloved, father's brother, love, uncle"

Thank you, this is huge !

Upvote 0

gomerian

Apr 29, 2018
america
✟40.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't Isaiah 22:22 match Isaiah 42:6-7 fairly closely?

"I the LORD have called Thee in righteousness, and will hold Thine hand, and will keep Thee, and give Thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, [and] them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."

So... doesn't the Covenant itself mean the Key? In fact, those words are so closely intertwined, that the Covenant is a gift of love from the throne room of the Ancient of Days. The God of Raising and Son of God, to Open Prisons, by Love. Jesus is the Covenant, incarnate.

Revelation 3:7-8 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He that is holy, He that is true, He that hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My word, and hast not denied My name."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do the descriptions of Jesus have to do with each church?
This from Elliott's Commentary for English readers.
These things saith he. . . .--The titles by which Christ is described at the opening of the seven epistles are mainly drawn from Revelation 1. The vision is found to supply features appropriate to the needs of the several churches. The message comes in this epistle from One who "holdeth" firmly in His grasp (a stronger word than "He that hath" of Revelation 1:16), and walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks. The Church at Ephesus needed to remember their Lord as such. The first love had gone out of their religion; there was a tendency to fall into a mechanical faith, strong against heresy, but tolerant of conventionalism. Their temptations did not arise from the prevalence of error, or the bitterness of persecution, but from a disposition to fall backward and again do the dead works of the past. There was not so much need to take heed unto their doctrine, but there was great need that they should take heed unto themselves (1Timothy 4:16). But when there is danger because earnestness in the holy cause is dying out, and the very decorum of religion has become a snare, what more fitting than to be reminded of Him whose hand can strengthen and uphold them, and who walks among the candlesticks, to supply them with the oil of fresh love? (Comp. Zechariah 4:2-3; Matthew 25:3-4.)

Found here.
Revelation 2:1 To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of Him who holds the seven stars in His right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands.
If you go to the other verses in question there will be something else on those.

Upvote 0