Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
michabo said:
But Protestants came from Catholics, so Protestants must be more advanced! It makes no sense for there to still be Catholics!

no- we are not more advanced- just have a different way of practicing our faith.

No, I will not give out my personal info- but thanks for the warning. There are people out there who have nothing better to do than to try to put others down. In my 7 years of education, in which I had numerous psychology classes, I have learned that this is always an attempt to cover up feelings of worthlessness and inferiority. Perhaps you should seek the help of a therapist or maybe go out of your box and actually go to church. Jesus has the power to take away feeling of
inferiority. I will pray for you.:)

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
heatherwayno said:
Yes- I do actual teaching- just don't get to pick what I want to teach- I teach what the teacher tells me too. Also, I get bumped around to different grades. I was a sub for 4 years and taught alot of science then as well.
It amazes me that the only thing you have to contribute to this conversation is not an answer or defense, but only you trying to question my credentials. That in turn, makes you look uneducated- not me- nor will I lose sleep over the fact that people here have nothing better to do than pick out my spelling and grammar mistakes. Stop trying to make me feel inferior- becuase you won't do it- I have a God that I believe has died for me and created me which makes me worthy of more than your criticsm. I was just asking a question and did not say anything negative to anyone here until this point. I guess that is what is to be expected- I am in a thread full of non-christians who feel the need to be nasty instead of how Christians would have handled the situation- with understand and love.

I answered your questions.

Have you anything further to add or did my answers satisfy you?

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, they don't accept the THEORY of evolution. We belive in a young earth creation. Under the right conditions- things can become fossilized in matter of decades. A coal mining helmet was found to be fossilized and the date on it was 1932. I don't know who you have talked to that claims to be a christian and accept evolution but perhaps you should talk to one of them.

Upvote 0

Scell

Jul 14, 2005
PA
✟15,476.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
heatherwayno said:
Yes- I do actual teaching- just don't get to pick what I want to teach- I teach what the teacher tells me too. Also, I get bumped around to different grades. I was a sub for 4 years and taught alot of science then as well.
It amazes me that the only thing you have to contribute to this conversation is not an answer or defense, but only you trying to question my credentials. That in turn, makes you look uneducated- not me- nor will I lose sleep over the fact that people here have nothing better to do than pick out my spelling and grammar mistakes. Stop trying to make me feel inferior- becuase you won't do it- I have a God that I believe has died for me and created me which makes me worthy of more than your criticsm. I was just asking a question and did not say anything negative to anyone here until this point. I guess that is what is to be expected- I am in a thread full of non-christians who feel the need to be nasty instead of how Christians would have handled the situation- with understand and love.

I didn't see anyone being rude here. /shrug

The reason your credentials were questioned was because if you had the proper training to teach science, you would never had to even ask these quetsions.

Being a substitute teacher doesn't qualify you as a science teacher by any means. My ex-wife was a sub for a couple years...she had no formal educational training at all...any college degree will qualify (I'm sure this varies state-by-state and district-by-district, not claiming to know what your locale's requirements are)

Most YECs that post questions here lack the basic understanding of the ToE, which is probably why you're seeing this sort of reaction. It happens all the time because someone wishes to debate something they claim to understand and refute...then proove they don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about (generalization here - not directing this to you or anyone)

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't need anything else from you. I just had a question and all I got was people who were nasty to me. I guess that comes from not knowing God. If you came to one of the Christian forums and asked a question- you would not be treated this way.

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
heatherwayno said:
no, they don't accept the THEORY of evolution. We belive in a young earth creation.
Yes, you are making it clear that it is about belief rather than evidence. Very clear, even.

Under the right conditions- things can become fossilized in matter of decades.
So?

A coal mining helmet was found to be fossilized and the date on it was 1932.
Utter nonsense. You obviously don't even know what a fossil is.

I don't know who you have talked to that claims to be a christian and accept evolution
:wave: :clap: Over here, pick me... pick me.....

but perhaps you should talk to one of them.
They have. :D :groupray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
heatherwayno said:
no- we are not more advanced- just have a different way of practicing our faith.
Precicely.

Our cousin apes are not more or less advanced, they just have a different way of surviving. They have different habitats, different food, different predators, and so have evolved in different directions.

Do you understand that, just because one group splits off from another, that it doesn't mean that either group is more or less able?

Perhaps you should seek the help of a therapist or maybe go out of your box and actually go to church. Jesus has the power to take away feeling of inferiority. I will pray for you.:)
What the...?

I haven't said anything to warrant this reaction.

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
heatherwayno said:
No, I don't need anything else from you. I just had a question and all I got was people who were nasty to me. I guess that comes from not knowing God. If you came to one of the Christian forums and asked a question- you would not be treated this way.
This IS a Christian forum. Would you prefer dealing with me in the Origins forum? That's a Christian-only forum.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
heatherwayno said:
no, they don't accept the THEORY of evolution. We belive in a young earth creation. Under the right conditions- things can become fossilized in matter of decades. A coal mining helmet was found to be fossilized and the date on it was 1932. I don't know who you have talked to that claims to be a christian and accept evolution but perhaps you should talk to one of them.

I think you will find a lot of christians on this site (probably the majority ) who accept the validity of the theory of evolution and an old age for the earth.

As a geologist I can assure you that the coal mining helmet that you claim is fossilised is just covered in precipitated calcium carbonate, you can see a similar phenomena in any limestone cave, and it by no means is evidence for quick fossilisation. Fossilisation is a process where remians of animals or plants are lithified, replaced by rock. I think you'll find that under the CaCO3 there is still a miners helmet.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
This is stupid. I have no need to try to defend myself to you. Sorry for coming here and trying to get a better understand of why you beleive the way that you do. I will leave you all to your angry, negative selves- have a nice afternoon.
So the fact that you are teaching about a subject that you do not understand doesn't matter to you one bit?

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
heatherwayno said:

You raised people's hackles when you claimed to be teaching this subject to students, yet your questions suggest a stark unfamiliarity with the subject. It would be like, oh, a math teacher not knowing the multiplication tables. And since public education and evolution is such an issue, it can be a touchy subject around these parts.

That said, I will try to answer your questions in a civil manner:

If evolutuion is true- and the earth has been around for billions of years and humans have evolved from very primitve beings, why are there still babies born with abnormailities. Beings evolve to adapt and become more advanced than their ancestors. So, evoluiotn has had billions of years to get this right- yet still there are deformalities, people with genetic diseases

It's because of mutations. Mutations (changes to DNA) are necessary to create continual diversity in the gene pool. And while most mutations are neutral in effect, the majority of the remaining ones are harmful rather than helpful. As I believe it was Dawkins who wrote, it's easier to break something than make it better.

That said, based on what data is available on beneficial mutations, they still occur in great enough frequency to allow for continual evolution and adaptation to environmental stresses.

It's basically a trade-off. The mechanism which causes diversity also has the side-effects of causing harm in some instances.

Also, if we evolved from ape like beings- why are they still here?

Because evolution is not a strict ladder-like progression from one species to the next. It's more about diversification and branching, especially if you have populations that split and become genetically isolated. Hence, in our past there would have been diversification of our primate ancestors that results in the various species of primates that we see today. But not all populations of primates would have necessarily evolved into humans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'd like to ask the rest of the posters here to reign it in a bit. People have been overly hostile and rude. I realize that some creationists on this forum do provoke this type of response, but I don't think she is one of them.

Maybe people could be a little more civil and not fuel the "angry evolutionist" stereotype that places like AiG and ICR propogate?

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to say one more thing- I have never claimed to teach an in-depth study on evolution. We teach it as a theory along with the creationilist view. Thank you Pete for answering in a respectful tone. While I still don't agree I was just wondering how someone would respond. I realize that most would respong to my question out of anger- but I am thankful that you did not.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Btw, if you want to know more about evolution, I recommend Berkely's Understanding Evolution pages. Starting with Evolution 101, there's some decent material that should provide a better overview of the theory, it's mechanisms, and so on. There's also subsequent pages on it's relevance to biology and society, some evidence for evolution (barely scratching the surface really), and more.

Even though you may not agree with it, it's a good idea to understand it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.