Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mat 1:18 "Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost."

The Bible said:
"Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 1:18).

My Commentary:

Jesus is of the seed of the woman (Genesis 3:15). I believe one of the reasons why Jesus was born of a virgin because sin is passed down by the male seed. For the Scriptures say that in Adam all die (1 Corinthians 15:22); And when Eve bit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil first, their eyes were not opened (to their sin and nakedness) yet. It was not until Adam bit of the forbidden fruit whereby both their eyes were opened (See Genesis 3:6-7). Also, Jesus was separate from sinners, holy, and undefiled.

"For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;" (Hebrews 7:26).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matt 1:19 "Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily."

The Bible said:
"Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." (Matthew 1:19).

My Commentary:

Here we see that Joseph was being just and or righteous for not trying to make Mary a public example of shame out of Mary by what he believed to be a sinful deed on her part (When in reality she was innocent without him knowing). He loved her, and he did not want to shame her. His love for God and her is what made him to do the right thing in this situation so as not to shame her in front of many others.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matt 1:20 "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost."

The Bible said:
"But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 1:20).

My Commentary:

This is not the same "angel of the Lord" that appeared to various OT saints. To learn more about this, check out this thread at CF here.

This angel appeared to Joseph in a dream. This is one possible way also in how the "Magi" may have known about the star of Christ's birth. The "Magi" might have also received a dream by an angel communicating to them to follow a certain star. While Scripture does not say for sure, it is one likely possibility. Some have suggested that they were pagan magicians, but I do not buy that theory. Everything involving Christ's birth was holy and righteous and good. God did not approve of sorcerers in the OT, so it is impossible that they would have been sorcerers (or involved in the dark arts) in any kind of way.

It is interesting that this angel chooses to stress here that Joseph is of the son of David. This is important because while Jesus was not a physical descendant of Joseph, it is interesting that his father in law's line is being stressed as being within the rule of a godly king that was given a special promise by God that His kingdom would last forever.

"He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever." (2 Samuel 7:13).

David's kingdom will be established forever (a promise given to David) by Jesus Christ. One day Jesus will rule as a part of David's kingdom. God's Kingdom ruled none other by Jesus who is GOD.

The angel tells Joseph to fear not to take Mary as his wife. This addresses the problem of the sad conclusion that Joseph had made in divorcing the woman he loves. The angel is explaining that things are not as they appear.

The angel says that child which is conceived in Mary is of the Holy Ghost.

What Joseph seen as a problem was actually the salvation and hope for all of mankind.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matt 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins."

The Bible said:
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." (Matthew 1:21).

He shall be called JESUS because he shall save his people from their sins.

It is interesting that the King James Cambridge Edition (circa 1900) has the words Jesus capitalized (JESUS). I believe this is fitting. An emphasis on the one who would be our Savior. It's beautiful. For who would not want to emphasize the first mention of the name of our Savior?

"Jesus" is an Anglicized form of the Greek name "Yesous" found in the New Testament. Yesous represents the Hebrew Bible name "Yeshua," which occurs as "Jeshua" in English Bibles (Ezra 2:2; Nehemiah 7:7). In Medieval English the "J" was pronounced as a "Y."

full

"Yehoshua"

Yeshua, in turn, is a shortened form of the name Yehoshua ("Joshua" in English Bibles).

"Yehoshua" is a compound name consisting of two elements.

(1) The prefix "Yeho–" is an abbreviation of the Tetragrammaton, God's Four-Letter Name: Yod-He-Vav-He: YHVH. (Modern scholars think the third letter was pronounced as "W." Thus: YHWH, Yahweh.)

full

The 4-Letter Name
The "Name" YHVH is used over 6,800 times in the Hebrew Bible.

In the Hebrew Bible "Yeho-" is a prefix form of God's name.

The second element of the name Yeho–shua is a form of the Hebrew verb yasha which means to deliver, save, or rescue.

Thus, linguistically, the name "Yehoshua—Yeshua—Jesus" conveys the idea that God (YHVH) delivers, saves, rescues — eventually through his servant Messiah, who bears God's name.

The Hebrew Bible word "savior" [moshiah] is also rooted to yasha.

Moshiah is used 9x for God (2 Samuel 22:3; Isaiah 43:3; Isaiah 45:15, Isaiah 45:21; Isaiah 49:26; Isaiah 60:16; Isaiah 63:8; Jeremiah 14:8; Hosea 13:4). It's used 5x for human "deliverers," "rescuers" or "saviors" (Judges 3:9, Judges 3:15; 2 Kings 13:5; Obadiah 1:21; Nehemiah 9:27).

full

This is how the name "Jesus" would have been written in ancient Hebrew documents. The four letters or consonants from right to left are Yod, Shin, Vav, Ayin (Y, SH, OO, A). Jesus is the Greek name for the Hebrew name Joshua or Y'shua which means "The LORD or Yahweh is Salvation".

And this is Jesus's name (or Yeshua's name) in Modern Hebrew:

full

Sources used:
http://www.hebrew-streams.org/frontstuff/jesus-yeshua.html
https://www.bible-history.com/sketches/ancient/jesus-in-hebrew.html

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In the ancient Hebrew, the name of Jesus, or Yeshua has two symbols that each give me certain impressions. While I am sure there are more than one impression a person can get from looking at these symbols, my take on two out of the four symbols is that the third symbol that looks like a three pronged fork reminds me of the burning bush that is described in Exodus 3. The first symbol that looks like a modern day sling shot reminds me of the letter "Y."

When we answer questions in certain surveys, we sometimes put the letter "Y" for a "yes" and a letter "N" for meaning "no." The "Y" here is Yeshua. We are to say "Yes" to "Yeshua" or Jesus in this life.

"For all the promises of God in him are yea [yes], and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us." (2 Corinthians 1:20) (KJV).

"For all the promises of God are “Yes” in Christ. And so through Him, our “Amen” is spoken to the glory of God." (2 Corinthians 1:20) (BSB).

"For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding "Yes!" And through Christ, our "Amen" (which means "Yes") ascends to God for his glory." (2 Corinthians 1:20) (NLT).

What is interesting is that when we praise God, our arms are stretched up to Heaven sometimes. This can be sort of like the letter "Y", as well.

full

Upvote 0