Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“To you and to the people of God here gathered, I confess the sin and abuse of power which you endured three decades ago at the hand of your bishop. On behalf of the episcopal office which I now occupy, and the wider institution which failed to prevent this abuse, I do repent, acknowledging this injustice and decrying our failure to safeguard the sanctity of the church for you and others who have looked to it with hope and trust. Of your goodness, I ask you to receive this confession, extended with genuine sorrow and a penitent heart.”​

In my understanding of the office of priesthood as one who is there to stand in the gap for others, he could have officially done no less than that.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In my understanding of the office of priesthood as one who is there to stand in the gap for others, he could have officially done no less than that.

Yes, but the point is that "less than that" is what we have typically been offered.

Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There were SO many powerful lines in that piece. But this one moved me the most:

“Sexual assault is an egregious act of humiliation,” she said. “It’s a weapon used to oppress women, and in the church, it’s been used to keep them from their witness. If you humiliate them enough, they won’t dare to speak up.”

Of all the ways men and the devil have sought to keep women from their witness, this one is unspeakable. I'm so grateful for the grace of God in Gayle that would not be denied.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums