• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

A story easy enough to tell - where creationists and atheists can agree

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by BobRyan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Looking for an example of a "story easy enough to tell" that everyone will agree "is just a story".

==================

Imagine if you will that "once upon a time" there were "arm humans" composed only of arms, and "Leg humans" composed only of legs and "Torso humans" composed only of human head and torso.

And suppose those individuals got together and started forming fully formed humans as we know them today, the result being the humans that we see today.

And we note that similarities are there - that the same sort of human skin can be found arm/lets/torso. We also note that the DNA in the cells of legs/arms and torso is sufficient to reproduce an entire human.
    ==================

regardless of the level of detail in story telling that I add to the story above -- it is pretty obvious that both atheists and creationists will view it as a "story easy enough to tell" and would doubt that it is to be taken seriously beyond "just a story".

I could even add "symbiosis" to the end of the story and it would not make it any more believable.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    So then the existence of "stories easy enough to tell" is hard to deny.

3. Nithavela

Nithavela Touch Fluffy Tail

+13,796
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    I needed to find incredibly easy "basics" so we can start off with agreement between Creationists and Atheists.

So this one is super easy. :)

If you prefer an example at the next higher level of difficulty - I suggest page 1 on this thread -- 2020 #1

5. driewerf

driewerf a day at the Zoo

+1,046
    Atheist
    Married
    upload_2021-1-19_21-10-23.jpeg

Just like the vanishing point of railtracks, there must be a point to this thread. But it keeps vanishing.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+11,389
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    The thread topic is obviously an allusion to eukaryote evolution.

If the intent is to discuss the origins of eukaryotes, why not make that the subject? Why invent a goofy analogy? The analogy serves no purpose.

Further, hypotheses in science aren't "just a story". They are usually based on specific observations and would make testable predictions. So characterizing scientific hypotheses as "just a story" is yet another misrepresentation of science.

Finally, this again has absolutely nothing to do with atheists vs creationists. I'm not sure of the continued reason for presenting this dichotomy, but it's not relevant here.

7. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+16,604
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Of course it would be more believable if there was some evidence which confirmed it and a proven mechanism capable of carrying it out--like the theory of evolution does. Otherwise it is, as you say, just a story--rather like creationism, in fact.

8. VirOptimus

VirOptimus A nihilist who cares.

+3,700
    Atheist
    Married
    Science= description of physical reality.

Every time religion has tried to deny science it has lost.

9. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+16,604
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    Somehow the possibility of embracing science as a description of God's creation seems to escape them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    Christians created almost every major branch of science known to mankind

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    one could 'work on ways' to try to sell the OP story -- given as an example. No doubt on that point.

12. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+5,076
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    ahh yes - someone graciously states the obvious. I do appreciate that more than I thought I would at first. Well played. I had almost given up hope of seeing it posted today.

Is it possible that the story being told about mythical non-existent prokaryote-ish cells hopping inside a prokaryote to engage in a massive saltation-transform into eukaryote is itself a goofy story if one is not an atheist?

It is not observable , it is not repeatable. And there is no biology observation today where 11 or 12 organelles each existing as their own single-cell prokaryote-ish organism (never seen in real life as such), all suddenly pop out of the rocks and jump into a more massive prokaryote to form a eukaryote in pure saltation-miracle-goes here fashion.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  13. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,700
    Agnostic
    Married
    By your logic any historical event cannot be believed. We did not observe the Battle of Waterloo, we cannot repeat it therefore the Battle of Waterloo did not happen.

Just waiting for the "but we have evidence" claim, with a denial that there is evidence for the eukaryote hypothesis....

14. Shemjaza

Shemjaza Regular Member Supporter

+2,609
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    AU-Greens
    If our arms had separate DNA to the rest of our bodies and there were creatures very much like disembodied arms living today who it turns out had DNA similar to our arm DNA... I'd be open to the hypothesis that arms started off as a separate symbiotic creature.

15. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+11,389
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    How were the evolution of eurkayotes hypotheses formed? Do you know?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  16. VirOptimus

VirOptimus A nihilist who cares.

+3,700
    Atheist
    Married
    Thats very debateable.

But it has nothing to do with my post or point.

17. Gene2memE

Gene2memE Newbie

+3,981
    Atheist
    Private
    Well, apart from Physics, Biology, Geography and Geometry (the Greeks), Medicine (either the Greeks, Persians, Egyptians or Chinese - take your pick), Optics, Chemistry, Economics, Sociology, Pharmacology, Meterology and Geology (the Arabs), Surgery and Metallurgy (the Indians), Astronomy and Horology (the Sumerians), Linguistics (the Persians), and various branches of mathematics (too many cultures to name).

Plus, all the other branches I couldn't be bothered to research.

18. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+2,992
    Atheist
    Private
    Gee, what's left? Maybe evolution? (Darwin started out a Christian. Perhaps he remained so long enough to have started his evolutionary theory. What about Huxley? What about the pre-Darwin proto-evolutionists?)

19. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+2,992
    Atheist
    Private
    Clearly you're not very good at analogies. Perhaps you should try discussing the actual science and scientific view and see how that fits or if it is plausible.

My ancestors have had four limbs since we crawled out of the ocean 350 million years ago and differentiated ourselves from the lungfish. So have yours. There are no "leg humans" in our past proposed by science.

20. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+5,962
    Atheist
    That makes subsequent Christian attempts to deny science self-contradictory - or hypocritical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List