A Starving Stray Puppy Upended ur Mundane, Retired Lives – Finding Purpose after Finding Yiuka

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
During the past 18 months my husband and I have come to know some extraordinary dog people, all because of a homeless puppy we rescued over two years ago in beautiful Costa Rica—a fortuitous encounter that changed our lives.

Yiuka was on the street and near starvation when we found her in January 2019, driving back from a day of hiking near La Tigra.

We passed several free-range dogs, a common sight there, and we started tossing some kibble when I noticed this one destitute puppy visibly struggling to wobble over to the food.

She appeared to be resigned to her fate but, not knowing what to do in the moment, we just drove back to our Airbnb—but we vowed to do something.

With 48 hours remaining until our flight back to Canada, we had to fast track some arrangements. Our host recommended we contact Cristina, a woman who for over 20 years has been singlehandedly caring for injured and abandoned dogs in an idyllic setting outside of town. Despite her imminent move, she agreed to take Yiuka—now we had to go find her.

Continued below.
A Starving Stray Puppy Upended our Mundane, Retired Lives: Finding Purpose After Finding Yiuka