• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A sound mind, is different from a "sane" mind - we want our minds to be "sound" not just sane?

To keep my sanity, I...

• ...practice mindfulness

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ...read books or scripture

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • ...make art

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...walk or exercise

• ...write (including stories or poetry)

• ...pray or talk with a trusted friend

• ...sing

• ...play games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I just wanted to make something clear, that I have struggled with a long time: there is a difference between a "sane" mind and a sound mind. A sane mind is a mind that has specific thoughts, that make specific kinds of impressions on the mind - for example, you might think "that pink dress is unusual", that's sanity: you are making an observation about a pink dress and you are thinking a thought that reflects what you see.

Then there is a sound mind. A sound mind is a mind that has a general type of thought, the specific thought is not relevant, as much as thoughts in general having an influence on each other. For example, you might see the pink dress and be satisfied that you like pink dresses, that pink dresses suit the current kind of weather and that pink looks good at times like this - none of these things are a specific thought about that dress, but rather its pinkishness.

Sanity, tells you that you might do something about the pink dress (like comment on it); soundness gives you are sense about what makes the pink dress important. The same goes for being sane or of a sound mind, in general - you can be sane for a moment, but sound for a lifetime. This is because our minds are tools, that we need to both sharpen, and use. If we develop power over this, we can reach a point, where our thoughts do not vex us and our expectations not be too long coming.

My personal experience with this, is that the mind needs to be settled every day. I meditate for at least forty minutes, every morning - if I did not, I would not know what sanity or soundness was at all (or if I did know what they were, I would know that I do not have them). The point is, as much as you meditate, being acutely sane is only one step. Realistically, you should be able to cover a few steps of sanity, and from that cultivate a presence of mind, that supports like a foundation, your soundness of mind. If you have soundness of mind, your thoughts will follow after.

May you be blessed in your understanding of this simple truth and may your practice of stillness reveal God to you. Blessed be the one who comes in the Name of the Lord!

• Informative
Reactions: Unqualified

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So I just wanted to make something clear, that I have struggled with a long time: there is a difference between a "sane" mind and a sound mind. A sane mind is a mind that has specific thoughts, that make specific kinds of impressions on the mind - for example, you might think "that pink dress is unusual", that's sanity: you are making an observation about a pink dress and you are thinking a thought that reflects what you see.

Then there is a sound mind. A sound mind is a mind that has a general type of thought, the specific thought is not relevant, as much as thoughts in general having an influence on each other. For example, you might see the pink dress and be satisfied that you like pink dresses, that pink dresses suit the current kind of weather and that pink looks good at times like this - none of these things are a specific thought about that dress, but rather its pinkishness.

Sanity, tells you that you might do something about the pink dress (like comment on it); soundness gives you are sense about what makes the pink dress important. The same goes for being sane or of a sound mind, in general - you can be sane for a moment, but sound for a lifetime. This is because our minds are tools, that we need to both sharpen, and use. If we develop power over this, we can reach a point, where our thoughts do not vex us and our expectations not be too long coming.

My personal experience with this, is that the mind needs to be settled every day. I meditate for at least forty minutes, every morning - if I did not, I would not know what sanity or soundness was at all (or if I did know what they were, I would know that I do not have them). The point is, as much as you meditate, being acutely sane is only one step. Realistically, you should be able to cover a few steps of sanity, and from that cultivate a presence of mind, that supports like a foundation, your soundness of mind. If you have soundness of mind, your thoughts will follow after.

May you be blessed in your understanding of this simple truth and may your practice of stillness reveal God to you. Blessed be the one who comes in the Name of the Lord!
As adjectives the difference between sound and sane
is that sound is healthy while sane is being in a healthy condition; not deranged; acting rationally; -- regarding the mind.

Upvote 0