Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So, biblical repentance is not necessarily from sin. It is a change of mind.
It depends on the context. "Repent" means "turn from," or words to that effect. The Lord turned from the punishment he had planned to dish out. He wants us to turn from our sin.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It depends on the context. "Repent" means "turn from," or words to that effect. The Lord turned from the punishment he had planned to dish out. He wants us to turn from our sin.

I don't know where you came up with the idea that repent means to turn from.

The Greek word μετανοώ (metanoia) consists of two parts - meta, which means to change, and noia, which is the mind. Metanoia means to change the mind.

In English repent does mean a variety of things, but the Bible, strangely enough, was not written in English.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know where you came up with the idea that repent means to turn from.

The Greek word μετανοώ (metanoia) consists of two parts - meta, which means to change, and noia, which is the mind. Metanoia means to change the mind.

In English repent does mean a variety of things, but the Bible, strangely enough, was not written in English.
Definition of REPENT

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Besides it’s hard to turn from sin as I mentioned earlier without bapfism and Holy Ghost reception. If repentance alone did all that then wouldn’t need the rest in acts 2:38. All it does is give you a change so mindset

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"Not everyone who says to Me "Lord, Lord" will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of my Father will enter".

I TImothy 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks. Now we have established that the Biblical Greek word, metanoia, has a different meaning than the English word, repent. Which definition do you think is better?
It doesn't matter. You know what Jesus meant when he said, "Repent." What you didn't understand is what he meant when he said, "for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A question recently came to my mind, and I thought I'd come here to ask it:
If Sola Fide (faith alone) is valid, i.e., all we need is belief in Christ and we'll be saved, then what's up with all the Bible verses about sins being forgiven? There's the story in Luke 7, numerous instances in Paul's letters, all sorts of things about "Your love covers up a multitude of sins", or the closing of James, "Anyone who converts a sinner from his ways covers over a multitude of sins."
If all we need is faith, than why are we worried about doing things to cover over sins? Why would God inspire people to write these things?

I think this anecdote speaks volumes to your question...

Someone share this today: "Had a conversation with a conservative Baptist preacher today about the road to Emmaus. He said, "it's interesting that they were walking with Christ and didn't know it." I was like yeah...you have no idea what you just said about so many people! " M.R.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If Sola Fide (faith alone) is valid, i.e., all we need is belief in Christ and we'll be saved, then what's up with all the Bible verses about sins being forgiven?

Justification by faith: justification means acceptance by God. That is forgiveness. I'm not aware of anyone, either Paul or Protestants following him, who thinks that faith can be separated from repentance. Indeed I'd argue that in Jesus' teaching, we come to faith as a result of repentance.

The real question here is what faith is. I don't think faith means simply believing that Jesus existed, or even that he was raised. I think Paul's idea of faith is essentially the same as Jesus' idea of being a follower. Remember that the Greek word "pistis" (and also faith in older English) includes being faithful.

I would say that faith in Christ is a matter of your direction. When you repent (which really means turn around) you turn around and start following Jesus.

There's sort of difficult balance in defining faith, or being a follower. Paul was arguing with people for whom being a Christian was defined by externals, particularly circumcision. Paul's point was the justification isn't based on any specific cultic action, and not even meeting a specific standard of moral perfection -- since he was convinced that no one could pass a test of being good enough.

And yet, faith is loyalty, and it's hard to claim that we're loyal to Christ if we ignore what he taught. So while there's no checklist, Jesus is also clear that not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" is his follower, but only the ones who actually follow. It may be just giving a cup of water to someone (Mat 10:42), but least our intended direction should be right.

One common Protestant scheme (though not all agree) is to say that God forgives us no matter what we've done (justification), but once he has accepted us, we're accountable for responding to that acceptance. (Jesus' term is bearing fruit.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was preaching to change your mind concerning God and His kingdom. The mindset was (and still is mostly) that God's kingdom is reserved for those who keep the Law; those who don't will never enter it. The fact that Jesus was preaching was that God's kingdom is for sinners (which everyone, including the Law-keepers, is) for He did not come to call the righteous, but sinners. It is really offensive for Law-keepers to hear that the prostitutes and tax collectors will be entering heaven long before they will.

Yes I admit my understanding of the word metanoia was incorrect. I misunderstood my bible study teacher when he explained that metanoia is a change in direction or a turning away. He did mention that it is a change of mind but he emphasized more on change of direction and turning away so I misunderstood thinking that metanoia and repent were more about turning away from sin instead of metanoia meaning a change of mind or way of life. Repent is actually an insufficient translation for metanoia because repent basically means remorse but doesn’t imply a change of someone’s mind, heart, or way of life. Please forgive my mistake. God bless.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes I admit my understanding of the word metanoia was incorrect. I misunderstood my bible study teacher when he explained that metanoia is a change in direction or a turning away. He did mention that it is a change of mind but he emphasized more on change of direction and turning away so I misunderstood thinking that metanoia and repent were more about turning away from sin instead of metanoia meaning a change of mind or way of life. Repent is actually an insufficient translation for metanoia because repent basically means remorse but doesn’t imply a change of someone’s mind, heart, or way of life. Please forgive my mistake. God bless.

Thank you for your repentance (changing your mind). As you know, it is too rare a thing here at CF for anyone, including myself, to admit that they were mistaken. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your repentance (changing your mind). As you know, it is too rare a thing here at CF for anyone, including myself, to admit that they were mistaken. Thanks again.

Your welcome I’d rather be honest and not misleading than be full of pride so much that I can’t admit my mistakes. God bless

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A question recently came to my mind, and I thought I'd come here to ask it:
If Sola Fide (faith alone) is valid, i.e., all we need is belief in Christ and we'll be saved, then what's up with all the Bible verses about sins being forgiven? There's the story in Luke 7, numerous instances in Paul's letters, all sorts of things about "Your love covers up a multitude of sins", or the closing of James, "Anyone who converts a sinner from his ways covers over a multitude of sins."
If all we need is faith, than why are we worried about doing things to cover over sins?
Yes. And notice that every verse without exception in the New Testament speaking of judgment of Christians mentions they are judged for their works, not for their faith.

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are not justified by faith..

We are justified by God.

We are not made perfect by faith..

We are made perfect by God.

We are not saved by faith..

We are saved by God.

If you reject these things as falsehoods, then may the Lord enlighten your understanding.

Upvote 0