Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Except for helping an escaped slave could result in prison and very large fines. What happens to Waters for encouraging sedition (Which is what she is doing)?
sedition
noun
se·di·tion | \ si-ˈdi-shən
\
Definition of sedition
: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority

I think you'd fine it hard to convict on a charge of sedition. You can just as well argue that in only defending rights that are enumerated, the justices are committing treason because they're rejecting a basic principle of the US. But we should probably all deescalate our rhetoric.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Does the constitution define a "person" currently?
Not that I am aware of. My thought on that is that it never occurred to them that person could ever be defined as any other thing than a human being. Of course, since then, the courts have ruled that businesses do have many of the same rights as natural persons and therefore use the term 'corporate personhood' or something comparable.
Corporate Personhood: Everything You Need to Know

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not that I am aware of. My thought on that is that it never occurred to them that person could ever be defined as any other thing than a human being. Of course, since then, the courts have ruled that businesses do have many of the same rights as natural persons and therefore use the term 'corporate personhood' or something comparable.
Corporate Personhood: Everything You Need to Know
Which is weird.

But arent there other matters in which whats a person would need to be defined or assumed? Like the constitutionally mandated census for instance. If we count all "persons", does a pregnant women count as 1 or 2?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
By that standard, its hard to find anyone who doesn't think some sedition is justified.
Yep, see #125. Thomas Jefferson openly expressed his opinion that resistance to government was a good thing even so far as taking up arms to resist it.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Except for helping an escaped slave could result in prison and very large fines. What happens to Waters for encouraging sedition (Which is what she is doing)?
I don't think abolitionists were prosecuted for sedition for expressing their opinon. If caught harboring a slave they might have been prosecuted, but for saying that slavery was wrong and should be resisted I doubt it. I'm not an expert on 19th Cent legal history, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Which is weird.

But arent there other matters in which whats a person would need to be defined or assumed? Like the constitutionally mandated census for instance. If we count all "persons", does a pregnant women count as 1 or 2?
You could probably do both and simply categorize them differently for different calculations like say projected population growth.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not an expert on 19th Cent legal history, so perhaps I'm wrong.
I am not either but I bet you wouldn't want to say that in 1850's deep south.....unless you like tar, feathers, and rails.......

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Wikipedia summarizes the legal history of sedition on the US: Sedition - Wikipedia. My reading is that only advocating violent overthrow is currently sedition. Attempts have been made to prosecute other things, but they have been rebuffed by the courts.

The 1918 act is pretty scary. It included any criticism of the government. That was even upheld by the Supreme Court. Fortunately it was replaced in 1921 was laws with more limited scope.

If the Wikipedia article is complete, there doesn't seem to have been any law around the time of the Civil War. However I agree that in practice tar and feathers aren't necessarily prevented by the 1st Amendment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You could probably do both and simply categorize them differently for different calculations like say projected population growth.
Why different if they are equally "persons"?

If they are both persons, then the census should count them both fully.

Further, and this gets into state matters, I think, there would need to a some sort of conception certificate to replace the birth certificate - for all the reasons we currently need birth certificates if we're talking about real "persons". And also death certificates for miscarriage - to rule out homicide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Further, and this gets into state matters, I think, there would need to a some sort of conception certificate to replace the birth certificate - for all the reasons we currently need birth certificates. And also death certificates for miscarriage - to rule out homicide.
It will be interesting to see how the medical profession reacts. There's already been at least one prosecution because hospital staff reported a miscarriage. If that happens a lot, it will have obvious effects on patients' willingness to get medical care.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A Democratic leader calls for the public to disregard one of the three branches of government is a form of treason, is it not?

Co-Equal branches.
I'd like to see the reaction of some in Congress if Justice Thomas were to say, "To heck with the House and Senate! We're going to ignore them and overturn whatever laws they pass!"

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Well, how old would it be? Male or female? Race/ethnicity? All questions on census forms.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, how old would it be? Male or female? Race/ethnicity? All questions on census forms.
Exactly. All relevant questions that would emerge from the designation "person". But really, those are easy to deal with compared to the other things I mentioned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Easy how?
"compared to".

Ethnicity box can be checked just as easily before birth as the day after. Same with sex.

But the conception certificate and pre natal death certificates. Thats gonna be interesting.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"compared to".

Ethnicity box can be checked just as easily before birth as the day after. Same with sex.

But the conception certificate and pre natal death certificates. Thats gonna be interesting.

Can you please explain how that connects with the topic of the thread.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟606,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How?.....assuming the woman doesn't want to know (especially about the sex). How can it be checked easily before birth? Sex there are only 2 ways I know of; ethnicity there is only one....again that I know of......

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,313.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
A Democratic leader calls for the public to disregard one of the three branches of government is a form of treason, is it not?

Not if you read the constitution.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

Levying War as Treason | Constitution Annotated | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0