A sin to dislike some of God's commands?

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious, is it mentioned in the bible that it is a sin to disagree with some of God's laws? I don't mean by breaking them but rather following them but disliking them anyway.
I would think not. It is more about what we do then what we say. For example, Yeshua (Jesus) tells a parable of the two sons. Both are asked by the Father to do something and one says he will and doesn't do it... the other says he won't but then does it. It was the latter who was commended because even though he said the wrong thing, ultimately he did the correct thing. So not liking a certain commandment is probably not as important not breaking it. But since the commandments define God's character, I would hope we would want to align to His character and that doesn't become an issue. :)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Incidentally... "commandment" is really not a good translation for devarim. That word is better translated as sayings, statements, words... "The 10 Words" is what the Jews call them. Not so much commandments, but statements of fact... when we become a member of the Household of God we don't steal, or kill, or covet (etc.). So a better translation of the 10 commandments... "you will not steal" or "you will not covet." A statement rather than a command.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious, is it mentioned in the bible that it is a sin to disagree with some of God's laws? I don't mean by breaking them but rather following them but disliking them anyway.

I didn't either, some things!

I seem to recall I did not like many parts of this one when I first saw it (not the 2nd time likely either) --

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’
44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..."

!

No, I vaguely think I was feeling like putting the book down, and that was enough! Or maybe it perhaps like I felt -- "I can never get to this level." It's too perfect.

He confirms --

48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

I think I was thinking something like "....wow.... He was really idealistic."

Now I know more, that only through Him can I do these kinds of things, by Him, with His support and strength.

I didn't have to do it just by sheer...personal perfection, being that much of a saint by my own willpower. Instead, He remakes me, changes me, accomplishes in me what I could not do too well on my own for but a moment or two.

You surely don't have to already agree to the most advanced Christian following before you have even been redeemed!

Instead, begin with these! --

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

And this one --

7“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

9“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hello, and welcome to CF. :)

What an interesting question!

The answer depends on how you define sin. Many times people are asking if this is a breaking of God's law. The answer to that one I would say is not really. It's not ideal, and perhaps could indicate a state of the heart one might want to examine more carefully, because there could be an attitude that would be a sin. But that more of an advanced concern, not something a new Christian would be likely to even be aware of. So in that sense, no, it's not breaking any major laws.

We are told to "take up our cross" and follow Christ. To crucify our own flesh/desires. That is seldom a thing one LIKES to do. Even Christ did not relish going to the Cross, but asked if it were possible, that the cup be removed.

If you define sin as "missing the mark" which the goal is perfection in Christ, then yes, it is sin. So are many other things we do continually. We strive by the grace of God to become like Christ, but we know that, being human, we are unlikely to attain such a goal in this life. The fact that we want to and we try is what matters to God.

And finally, if you consider sin as anything that takes you further from God, rather than bringing you closer, then again, it is sin. The irony though is that through examination, truths can be learned and it can in the end be spiritually beneficial and bring one closer to God. Again, that's what really matters, our disposition toward and relationship with God, not whether (or how well) we kept this rule or that one. It's just that flagrantly disregarding some "rules" put us in a much worse spiritual state than others. But this is not one in that category, at least not unless it becomes very severe.

Again, welcome to CF. :)

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’

So according to scripture, one is required to take scripture with more thought than blind application, like ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth’ all day long.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So according to scripture, one is required to take scripture with more thought than blind application, like ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth’ all day long.

heh heh, though no communication is ever perfect, I think you are asking what is it I think is the best way to read and understand well? Perhaps we already agree on much about that, but I'll just list a few of the most key things I needed--
1) That I needed to put aside my prejudices and even my previous ideas about what the passages say, and instead really listen.
2) That I needed to thus read through, fully, from the beginning, as if I was the person being written to. (If someone writes you a letter, you want to read all of it through)
3) That some things won't be clear until one has faith.
4) That even after one has faith, there are still mysteries that are above our understanding, at least some.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i reckon personally that it shows us that loveless spirit still dwell in us for it is sin that hates God's commandments - proving to us fallen ones that only God's commandments are just, right and good in His Spirit of love and not otherwise.

Having said that in my life it also proved to be true that religious rules made up out of God's law are high mountains of Samaria and not to be trusted and they indeed do give a nasty taste in someone's mouth. So if you have a dislike for God's commandment about loving Him then that might well be a hang up about forced religious upbringing or peer pressure to conform to Church dogma's and rules. Or if you hate God's commandment about adultery then that maybe be because some religious person cast their judgments on you or someone else you love and hurt them badly doing that. Such are good reason to dislike God's law when it is used like that. Let me assure you i hate such laws too and so does Jesus!

I believe that the perfect law of God is centered in love and applies only when love is true and not otherwise. Jesus clearly demonstrated this on the cross becoming and Abomination and committing suicide for the good of all those who cannot be truly True in their own right anymore for their truths are to crammed full of lies and to still give them a truthful existence - that is true love and no commandment can be broken - but rather all are fulfilled when we obey true love.

For another example, less extreme but just as valid is the last one; to lie against your neighbour is against God's command right? However lying to save some innocent person's life from evildoers is not only highly honored in God's Word but is rewarded existence in The Truth as a hero!

See what i mean? What law do i need to keep that i dislike? When i love true i am a law unto myself and completely free to do whatever - for i can't sin when i love true - didn't you know that?

God's commandments understood in love bring true freedom no bad things whatsoever!

Praise God for giving us The Law to eat.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God says to "count it all joy"....

...so it isn't the way God wants us to live...

...but sin? No. Believers cannot sin as they are indwelt by the Spirit of God, Who knows no sin.

That's not true. Everyone sins, we just can be forgiven for it.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Believers cannot sin as they are indwelt by the Spirit of God, Who knows no sin.
Of course they can. And do often.

• Prayers
Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not true. Everyone sins, we just can be forgiven for it.

Of course they can. And do often.

Rather than call God a liar, or me quoting His Word, perhaps it would be better posting just to say that you don't believe it.

There are myriad of verses telling the believer that they have no sin. If a believer still has sin, then Christ's death burial and resurrection is of no effect! Jesus the same yesterday today and forever.... died for ALL SIN ... how much of your sin did He die for and remove by His blood? If someone has to continually ask forgiveness for sin, then that's no different than the annual sacrifice of atonement that only COVERED sin for a year: works under the law. Believers are not under the law. The Holy Spirit indwells the believer. We are clothed in Christ's righteousness. Are you believing that His righteousness is clothing you in your sin, a joint indwelling?

If you fall back upon 1 John 1:9 then read the entire first chapter: he is writing WITNESSING to the agnostics... the second chapter he begins, My Little Children where the focus is upon the believer.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are myriad of verses telling the believer that they have no sin.
Almost the entire book of 1 John is talking about believers sinning.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you fall back upon 1 John 1:9 then read the entire first chapter: he is writing WITNESSING to the agnostics... the second chapter he begins, My Little Children where the focus is upon the believer.
1 Jn 1.7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Written to full on believers - NOT agnostics; they would not have read John's writings.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That was interesting, to go back to this familiar chapter, and then try to see it that way. But we are to confess our more noticeable sins here and now to our Father in heaven, you and me, as believers, when the sins are more serious so that they weigh on our conscience. When we do, we are forgiven, and the guilt disappears. Praise God!

For smaller things though, we are to remember what Christ said to us, and how he taught us to pray also in the Lord's Prayer -- that we are forgiven as we forgive others. And in the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant, we learn the reality of this, the fact of it, and the correct fullness -- to forgive from our heart.

Starting in the Lord's Prayer, and continuing --

...12And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,a
but deliver us from the evil one.b

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

It's such a sharp and clear instruction -- we get forgiven if we forgive others from the heart.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
is it mentioned in the bible that it is a sin to disagree with some of God's laws? I don't mean by breaking them but rather following them but disliking them anyway.
How is it possible to not love God's commands if you love God? Who really thinks it's OK to murder someone or destroy their reputation in revenge; or that road rage or drunkenness are desirable habits?

The problem is thinking every command in the Bible purported to be from God is really from God. Certainly it's not a sin to eat pork, and it probably is a sin to circumcise your male children. And certainly it is a sin to abandon your wife and children because they were heathens, but Christians have to justify this because, supposedly, God commanded it. He did not. God doesn't command such things.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is therefore now no condemnation for sins which we have been forgiven of, and Christians must not live in continuing sin ...

But ...

We cannot teach sinless perfection as in meaning that a Christian absolutely never sins. (CF does not acknowledge "sinless perfection" as permissible in theology forums - I point this out to demonstrate that there is a credible source with reason to deny this teaching.) There may be some confusion based on one's definition of "sin" but in the broadest sense, to have the least flash of irritation, the barest root of pride, or to fail to do every single good thing we can - is all sin. If this is what we mean (and all else) - we can never claim anyone to be free from sin.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0