• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

A simple fix for the Transgender issue.

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Ken-1122, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    How about if we just don’t address it? When referring to men vs women, when deciding which public restroom or shower facility to use, when unsure to call someone a ma'am or sir, instead of assuming gender, why not just assume sex? The difference? Sex refers to biology, (XX vs XY chromosomes, sex organs, etc) where as gender refers to perceived social roles based on sex.

When I speak to people, if I use the pronoun he or she, I’m referring to their sex not their gender. I’m making an assumption of their biology, not whatever confusion they might have going on inside of their heads. If a biological woman identifies as a man, she shouldn’t assume I am addressing her identification when I call her she, this woman should assume I am referring to her biology.

Does this make sense? Your thoughts?

Ken

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+5,129
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Sex chromosomes and sex organs don't always align. Which are you proposing to go with? How will you determine the sex of the person in question, whichever you choose?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This isn't really at the crux of the transgender issue though, is it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I don't think that gender and sex can meaningfully be separated. "Gender" is really something related to grammar and syntax. Verbs, nouns, and adjectives have gender. But the concept is really not very useful when applied to human beings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. sfs

sfs Senior Member

+5,129
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    No, but the questions I raised do seem to be issues with the OP's proposal, which I take to be the subject of this thread.

6. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Strikes me as the tail wagging the dog. These very rare scenarios are not a good template for determining how we should think about the vast majority of people and cases.

7. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    In the extremely rare situation that chromosomes and sex organs do not align? An exception can be made for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    No; the people with that extremely rare condition are not the ones pushing the gender identification issue.

9. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    So you agree with me?

10. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I don't think that will satisfy the people pushing this issue. I'm all for dropping the concept of gender altogether because I don't think it's useful. But the concept of gender is incredibly important for these people.

11. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,458
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I don't think this kind of distinction is going to be helpful. There is evidence that it really matters to transgender folks to be treated as their identified gender. The kind of explanation given in the OP is going to look like making excuses for not doing so.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,458
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Is this like stopping marriage licenses because gays can get married?

13. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    So you agree with me?

14. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    No.

15. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    When dealing with strangers, how is that different? A couple weeks ago someone died in the hospital; a biological woman who identifies as a man went to the hospital with stomach issues. She listed her sex as male so they did not do a pregnancy test on her (which would have shown her problem) and instead did tests that would be done on a man and the person died as a result.
    Other than when biology is important, I don’t see how men and women should be treated differently, do you?

16. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    I'm not really looking to satisfy people looking for something to complain about, I'm looking to fix the issue, and when you take the subjective perceptions out of the picture, it seems to fix the issue IMO

17. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    The issue is that people are not satisfied identifying with their biological sex.

18. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+529
    Atheist
    Private
    Their sex is who they are whether they like it or not.

19. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    They're not satisfied with that. They need you to recognize them as whatever they identify with. Nothing less will do.

20. Tree of Life

+5,543
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I agree. But the issue is that they do not agree.