✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sweden Forced to Raise Retirement Age To Pay For Mass Immigration Policy

I read about Sweden regularly and their plight, to me, seems like they bring on themselves a terrific mess with 3rd world migration. I do wonder if their population growth rate is causing the Swedes alarm for their future. Raising the retirement age was probably not expected. We in the US have had it for a few years already. In the case of the US it was probably caused by poor spending choices rather that hordes of migrants coming to be supported by the welfare state.
What is the Christian position on this issue?

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am not a christian scholar so my view is just my own thoughts.

I have a hypocritical viewpoint. If you asked me what I thought of the plight of those in Africa Asia and the Middle east I'd explain my empathy for them and how our wealth should be better shared and how we have a responsibility as developed nations to settle the dispossessed.

Then there's the tribal side of me - the hypocritical me. This is the side that knows deep in my heart that we in the developed world rely heavily on the suffering of others in order that we live more comfortably. That we can afford a pair of shoes for a very modest price, relies heavily on the fact that somewhere in the world someone is paid next to nothing for making those shoes. I would want to help migrants but know I would have some social concerns if my country was flooded by those immigrants - not because I am concerned about the immigrants behaviours, but because my selfishness would turn my mind to how that mass migration may impact on my personal lifestyle.

That same hypocrisy in me exists in many things including climate change. I am heavily psychologically invested in the science of climate change. Yet I know full well that I will only change my habits to the point where it starts to inconvenience me - and that's where I draw my line as much as Id like to believe Im not like that.

So my answer - most of us are very empathetic and some of us go a long way to provide help; but most of us are also at the end of the day thinking to protect our tribe - our lifestyle.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am not a christian scholar so my view is just my own thoughts.

I have a hypocritical viewpoint. If you asked me what I thought of the plight of those in Africa Asia and the Middle east I'd explain my empathy for them and how our wealth should be better shared and how we have a responsibility as developed nations to settle the dispossessed.

Then there's the tribal side of me - the hypocritical me. This is the side that knows deep in my heart that we in the developed world rely heavily on the suffering of others in order that we live more comfortably. That we can afford a pair of shoes for a very modest price, relies heavily on the fact that somewhere in the world someone is paid next to nothing for making those shoes. I would want to help migrants but know I would have some social concerns if my country was flooded by those immigrants - not because I am concerned about the immigrants behaviours, but because my selfishness would turn my mind to how that mass migration may impact on my personal lifestyle.

That same hypocrisy in me exists in many things including climate change. I am heavily psychologically invested in the science of climate change. Yet I know full well that I will only change my habits to the point where it starts to inconvenience me - and that's where I draw my line as much as Id like to believe Im not like that.

So my answer - most of us are very empathetic and some of us go a long way to provide help; but most of us are also at the end of the day thinking to protect our tribe - our lifestyle.
Your answer was very well put -- to some extent, I find myself in the quandry you describe.

Upvote 0