A sheriff hopeful admitted in an ad that he wore blackface. He’s not apologizing.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A sheriff hopeful admitted in an ad that he wore blackface. He’s not apologizing.
A South Carolina sheriff candidate is fessing up to something that has tarnished many politicians: sporting blackface.

Craig Stivender, 36, released a campaign ad Tuesday in which he outlines the importance of transparency.
Sitting in a rocking chair and looking directly in the camera, Stivender revealed that he received a ticket as a 16-year-old for not having a driver’s license and that he is married for the second time. He also said he’s lost his temper at work as a police officer and that he was reprimanded for his actions. He even admits to being responsible for some fender benders.

But the most shocking disclosure was his admission that he wore blackface 10 years ago at a law enforcement Halloween party. The video included an image of Stivender with darkened skin in a turquoise shirt, with studs in his ear and a gold chain around his neck. He was standing next to a black woman.

No need to apologize, your campaign ad is comedy gold. :D

A white male running for sheriff in South Carolina wore blackface when he was younger. I know most probably do not wear blackface, but it is hardly surprising... tell us something surprising?

"As a sixteen-year-old I received a ticket for not having my driver's license in my possession."

Okay, that's too much!

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,442.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
An honest question, it is really that important that everyone apologizes for things said and done in the past for them to be accepted in the present?

How far back should anyone be expected to apologize for? The amount of things I said during my younger years that would be unacceptable today are immeasurable.

So should I start recalling all the things and apologize to each and every individual that might take offence before my life can continue? How long before something is considered bygone?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

A white male running for sheriff in South Carolina wore blackface when he was younger. I know most probably do not wear blackface, but it is hardly surprising... tell us something surprising?

"As a sixteen-year-old I received a ticket for not having my driver's license in my possession."

Okay, that's too much!
If he was self-identifying as black at that time & running as a leftist on the platform of transracial fluidity, he's a shoe-in!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
An honest question, it is really that important that everyone apologizes for things said and done in the past for them to be accepted in the present?

How far back should anyone be expected to apologize for? The amount of things I said during my younger years that would be unacceptable today are immeasurable.

So should I start recalling all the things and apologize to each and every individual that might take offence before my life can continue? How long ago before something is considered bygones?
This is someone running to be Sheriff, so anything that reflects his judgement, possible biases/beliefs or lack thereoff Is of interest.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So should I start recalling all the things and apologize to each and every individual that might take offence before my life can continue? How long before something is considered bygone?
if you’re running for public office and others have pictures or other evidence. I’d apologise. That at least let’s others who don’t know you personally, know that you wont continue to act like a insensitive jerk

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,442.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This is someone running to be Sheriff, so anything that reflects his judgement, possible biases/beliefs or lack thereoff Is of interest.

What I meant is in general not in reference to the OP. I have said many racist things in the past although unrecorded. So now can I not be say a doctor for fear that I might not treat people equally? Or a police, a fireman, a lawyer for the same reason.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,442.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
if you’re running for public office and others have pictures or other evidence. I’d apologise. That at least let’s others who don’t know you personally, know that you wont continue to act like a insensitive jerk

Normally I would agree with you on this point. But given the rise of "wokeness" recently, I have my doubt that bringing up a man's past is about seeking clarification but more to tearing an individual down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think the man's past in this case is important despite me laughing at his ridiculous costume and comical campaign ad. He went to a law enforcement party in blackface and it was seen as acceptable. That tells you a lot more about the character of that police department than it does about him.

As for questions about how far back? During the 2016 election, there were threads about Hillary Clinton supposedly laughing about getting a child rapist off for a crime. Why is it okay to talk about her past, but not the actions of others?

The thing about these guys in blackface is that none of these people are the same age as Al Jolson, so they are neither a product of their time nor ignorant of the racism of blackface. Their birth years are closer to 1986 than 1886.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have always found it unbelievable that anyone can run for sheriff even without any legal, forensic or police training whatsoever. But this guy apparently has some cosmetic training.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,442.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think the man's past in this case is important despite me laughing at his ridiculous costume and comical campaign ad. He went to a law enforcement party in blackface and it was seen as acceptable. That tells you a lot more about the character of that police department than it does about him.

As for questions about how far back? During the 2016 election, there were threads about Hillary Clinton supposedly laughing about getting a child rapist off for a crime. Why is it okay to talk about her past, but not the actions of others?

The thing about these guys in blackface is that none of these people are the same age as Al Jolson, so they are neither a product of their time nor ignorant of the racism of blackface. Their birth years are closer to 1986 than 1886.

Don't take it the wrong way I don't like racism as much as the next normal guy. People learn and mature. What I know and experienced today are more than yesterday.

You're a Christian on Christian Forums. Have you personally in the past ever said or done anything racist? Is your first post here an apology for being insensitive in the past before being able to continue posting normally?

I sure didn't. Again please do not take this as a personal attack. I'm merely trying to show my point :)

It's my honest opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the thing. Even if apologized for, there is no acceptance in the present or future.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I have always found it unbelievable that anyone can run for sheriff even without any legal, forensic or police training whatsoever. But this guy apparently has some cosmetic training.
I have to give it to him for not only getting his face, but his arms too.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

It is a difficult situation. My parents took me to a minstrel show back the Fifties where the actors wore blackface. I grew up in a nearly 100 percent white community. I didn't even realize the real life issues which surrounded racial issues until the Michael Brown incident in Ferguson.

I now know that it isn't up to me to decide whether I am racist or not. I assume that I better understand the issues and find the state of American society to be deeply flawed on the issue. Am I instinctively not racist in my personal behavior??? I try but my view is entirely different than the view of those who have suffered under the weight of American racism and willingly allow them to decide.

The question that is brought up here is one I've thought about myself. At what point does the past of a person who is struggling to become less and less racist both in intellectual and habitual behavior get to the place he/she can say, "That isn't who I am today" and have it believed?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,442.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That is the thing. Even if apologized for, there is no acceptance in the present or future.

Unfortunately in this day and age I have to concur. Too many people who apologized never got accepted back into society. The concept of forgiveness and moving forward have been lost.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It is a difficult situation. My parents took me to a minstrel show back the Fifties where the actors wore blackface. I grew up in a nearly 100 percent white community. I didn't even realize the real life issues which surrounded racial issues until the Michael Brown incident in Ferguson.

I now know that it isn't up to me to decide whether I am racist or not. I assume that I better understand the issues and find the state of American society to be deeply flawed on the issue. Am I instinctively not racist in my personal behavior??? I try but my view is entirely different than the view of those who have suffered under the weight of American racism and willingly allow them to decide.
I can understand that view for an individual, but not for a police officer at a law enforcement party. Nonetheless, I am less bothered by the actions of the individual and would rather focus on the broader issue of this type of behavior endorsed in a law enforcement setting.

But given his campaign video, I would hope he could look at this past and recognize what is wrong with that behavior and seek to take an antiracist approach to dissolve the conditions where an officer would feel free to wear blackface. For instance, he could talk about his "growth" afterward, like cultural sensitivity training, the importance of creating an open and diverse work environment where people are not insulted based on their race, religion, gender, etc. I don't believe anyone need apologize, changing your behavior and working in an antiracist manner would be more constructive, in my opinion.

Like you said, there is racism seen in society today that is not intentional, so the only real way to show an "apology" is to work to create the conditions where those actions out of ignorance do not occur again.

The question that is brought up here is one I've thought about myself. At what point does the past of a person who is struggling to become less and less racist both in intellectual and habitual behavior get to the place he/she can say, "That isn't who I am today" and have it believed?
I think it's about your actions and whether you're doing thing to dismantle racist institutions in the present. Simply not doing something racist may be okay, but you probably will get more mileage out of actively working against the behavior you were guilty of before.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Okay, that's too much!

It's probably a smart strategy. Ezra Klein has talked a few times about studies (which I'll concede I haven't seen) showing that voters don't so much respond to a politician's wrongdoing as they respond to the remorse and shame expressed by that politician after being caught. If the politician expresses shame, then the voters will look poorly on him; but if he just shrugs it off, then so do the voters. Essentially, voters just wait to be told what to think and then they reinforce that message.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

What did that incident tell you?

I now know that it isn't up to me to decide whether I am racist or not.

Who is it up to?

I assume that I better understand the issues and find the state of American society to be deeply flawed on the issue. Am I instinctively not racist in my personal behavior???

You make a conscious effort not to be racist...don't you?

I try but my view is entirely different than the view of those who have suffered under the weight of American racism and willingly allow them to decide.

Decide what?

Never...some people will always dislike, mistrust, or hate you for dumb reasons.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What did that incident tell you?

Who is it up to?

You make a conscious effort not to be racist...don't you?

Decide what?

Never...some people will always dislike, mistrust, or hate you for dumb reasons.

That incident made me understand how lucky I am not being a person of color in America. It was the beginning of my learning how badly the 'playing field' is tilted in my favor.

I think it is up to those people who have suffered by the racism to decide my 'fate' as a racist. After all, they know far more about the damages and how the damages occurred than I do.

I do make a conscious effort to not be racist. It isn't my conscious that can get me in trouble. It is my unconscious that can cause problems because I'm just not aware enough to grasp the tiny things that also trigger unintended consequences too.

To decide whether I'm progressing satisfactorily.

Of course some people will never accept me despite how much progress I make in this journey. But Trump's fanboys will hate me just for being alive and a Democrat.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That incident made me understand how lucky I am not being a person of color in America.

What a dim view of people of color.

It was the beginning of my learning how badly the 'playing field' is tilted in my favor.

Playing field? Are we locked in some competition of white vs black that I wasn't aware of?

I think it is up to those people who have suffered by the racism to decide my 'fate' as a racist. After all, they know far more about the damages and how the damages occurred than I do.

How? How do they know? How should they decide?

I do make a conscious effort to not be racist.

Well zeph...that's all you can really do. You can't make an "unconscious" or "instinctual" effort to not be racist. Anyone blaming you for "unconscious behavior" is blaming you for things beyond your control.

To decide whether I'm progressing satisfactorily.

Because they have the right to judge you....because of your race?

Of course some people will never accept me despite how much progress I make in this journey. But Trump's fanboys will hate me just for being alive and a Democrat.

Then why would the judgement of such people matter?

Upvote 0