A shameful part of my sexuality, regarding Confession

Sanctus Est

Sep 11, 2015
✟7,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Hello to everyone who is reading me. I just wanted to ask a question regarding a shameful act of my sexuality that happened when I was 14 years old, when I discovered the acts of masturbation (I didn't know it was a sin because I considered myself an atheist back then, I know, I was stupid...) I lusted and masturbated over my dog and I tried to put him in sexual acts with me (I know it is shameful what I am saying), but it ended up just in masturbation after alll and I don't know if I received God's forgiveness for that. When I confessed to my confessor I said: "I want to beg God's forgiveness for every sexual perversion I made in my life, knowing it and not knowing it" and after that, I made no other sexual perversion (besides masturbation but I confessed that too), was my sin forgiven? I also didn't want to charge my confessor with too many details because it is not productive at all.

What do you guys think? I couldn't have said to my confessor it was zoofilia since the sexual intercourse didn't happen at all, ever, it was just masturbation, and I already asked forgiveness for "every sexual perversion I made in my life", do you think I am forgiven?

I did not post this in the "Sexuality" subforum since this regards the Sacrament of Confession and a priest, so it is better for it to be here. I posted this on the Catholic forum too, but since you Orthodox also have valid confession and valid orders and you confess to a priest, I want to know your opinion on the subject too.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would talk to my priest about it. I am not familiar with Catholic confession and I have not had this particular issue, but I have found it to be important to especially discuss things that are shameful to me with my priest if they are still heavy on my heart. That's not saying that it wasn't forgiven - that's not my place to say, but the priest is there to help you in your spiritual welfare. They have heard many many sins of all kinds I am sure - and the main thing is the desire to turn away from sin. Your spiritual father or priest can help you in that process, no matter what the problem is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am studying for becoming a priest so I will post here my opinion. Of course, the best will be to talk this to your priest, not that the sin hasn't been forgiven but as I see this disturbs you you should do it. Secondly, what you did was a sexual perversion, in my opinion, and since you confessed that "I want to beg God's forgiveness for every sexual perversion I made in my life, knowing it and not knowing it" (and you didn't know it was a sin when doing it) that sin is cleansed from you, after all, it was the sin of masturbation, not the sin of inappropriate behavior with animals, and you confessed both masturbation and sexual perversions, so I think you are ok.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What everyone else said - talk to your priest.

I would say anytime one has doubts about being forgiven, or lingering issues, it is appropriate to talk to your priest. Maybe not necessarily in the context of confession, but make an appointment to talk, with the request that if necessary, you may need confession as a result of your conversation, so the priest has time and ability to do both.

That's what I would think regarding any question like this, regardless of the details, which I agree are not something we need to know about. Though having "confessed publicly" perhaps it should be easier to discuss with your priest. You can always do so using generalities, and only give more info if he asks.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Go to Confession and talk to your priest. The Church is a hospital for sinners, and the priest is like a doctor who can prescribe medicine to heal you. I'm sure the preist has heard everything in his lifetime, don't worry about Confession at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Go to an Orthodox parish, seek out a priest, become a catechumen, convert to Holy Orthodoxy, and receive the FULL power of the sacramental life that will engulf your soul in transformation and joy, complete with the spiritual weaponry to do battle with Satan. As a Catholic right now you have a spiritual pistol or two, come to Orthodoxy where you'll be given the whole armory!

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

myarogancewasblottedout

Oct 6, 2015
✟15,694.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
if you want to stop addiction to masturbation, don't spill your seed out of your body.
http://biblehub.com/john/7-38.htm
Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. 38"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" 39But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
read the last page. it is hard, you have to stop being a son of devil and become a son of God according to http://www.biblehub.com/1_john/1.htm
i suggest telling your evidence of God, to your highest authority.
http://www.biblehub.com/james/4.htm

in fact, if you know what space and time is? what is 2 dimensional? have a look at 2nd occurance of God saying "it was good" in http://www.biblehub.com/kjv/genesis/1.htm or that time is 4th dimension? 6th dimension is ability to plan your future as multiple points in time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank to all of you for your answers. I will tell my priest on my next confession about the guilt I am feeling, but how can I overcome the shame for this terrible acts?
By hating the sin and determining never to do it ever again.
Some shame will remain, as a reminder, but gratitude for God's love and mercy, which is greater than our sins, will overshadow it, and what shame remains will help keep you humble.

You're not alone.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan is clever....

He uses your shame to keep you OUT of the confessional.
Then after you're forgiven he'll use your doubt to make sure you keep wondering if you're "really" forgiven?

Go to confession then visit an Orthodox parish, become a catechumen, and convert, brother!! If you want a confession that will change your life for good and get you into a relationship with a spiritual father, Orthodoxy....

No, I meant the shame of confessing something like this to my priest...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, I meant the shame of confessing something like this to my priest...

because there is no shame that is above what any of the rest of us do. we are all sinners. you are not a bad person that broke some cosmic law, you are a sick person in need of God's healing (just like me). confession is the medicine.

Upvote 0

Sanctus Est

Sep 11, 2015
✟7,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Well I finally talked to my confessor and he said that regarding lust there is no point in getting into details so much so it is well enough that I said "Forgive me for every sexual perversion I commited" since that is what they were (the sin I mentioned and others).

Anyway, it is zoofilia if penetration didn't happen? I think not, and since I do not have sexual attraction for animals (I don't even like animals at all) and that try was just out of curiosity when I was 14yo, I think it is very well cleansed as my confessor said.

Thank you all for your help, friends!

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that stating it as you have would "cover" the issue as regards to forgiveness. I admit that I don't know Catholic theology, but in the Orthodox Church, we confess to Christ, and the priest is there as a witness. I once confessed something that I didn't want to get into details (I didn't think that would be healthy for either me or the priest, nor necessary) but my confession sounded very vague. I stopped and asked my confessor if that was sufficient, and he said that it wasn't supposed to be for him, and that if I felt I had confessed it sufficiently to God, then it was enough.

It is enough to say, "I broke the fast and also committed the sin of gluttony" ... one does not need to say "I ate four hot dogs and I put cheese on three of them, with a large chocolate shake, and half an hour later drank wine and had meatballs and cheese at an office reception."

Sins committed long in the past only need forgiveness, I think. The purpose of details in confession are to bring out things that KEEP us sinning, and let our confessor counsel us. If it was a sin long ago, no longer tempting us, not repeated, then I am very sure my own confessor would say that it is best to confess it as needed and receive absolution, but do NOT dwell on it or discuss it unnecessarily. To do so can actually lead to further temptation. We have had this exact discussion so I know that is what he would say.

At the end of our confession, we are told to "Go in peace" and to "have no further concern" over the sins we are absolved of. If there is no further temptation, it belongs out of your life forever now.

But of course any concerns should be discussed with YOUR priest. But when he says to leave it, then you should. Having it still go on in your mind is possibly an attempt by the enemy to drag you into various problems that could be caused by dwelling on it. Again, my priest friends would say - cross yourself, say the Jesus prayer, use holy water - and those things should stop.

Reactions: Wryetui
Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that stating it as you have would "cover" the issue as regards to forgiveness. I admit that I don't know Catholic theology, but in the Orthodox Church, we confess to Christ, and the priest is there as a witness. I once confessed something that I didn't want to get into details (I didn't think that would be healthy for either me or the priest, nor necessary) but my confession sounded very vague. I stopped and asked my confessor if that was sufficient, and he said that it wasn't supposed to be for him, and that if I felt I had confessed it sufficiently to God, then it was enough.

It is enough to say, "I broke the fast and also committed the sin of gluttony" ... one does not need to say "I ate four hot dogs and I put cheese on three of them, with a large chocolate shake, and half an hour later drank wine and had meatballs and cheese at an office reception."

Sins committed long in the past only need forgiveness, I think. The purpose of details in confession are to bring out things that KEEP us sinning, and let our confessor counsel us. If it was a sin long ago, no longer tempting us, not repeated, then I am very sure my own confessor would say that it is best to confess it as needed and receive absolution, but do NOT dwell on it or discuss it unnecessarily. To do so can actually lead to further temptation. We have had this exact discussion so I know that is what he would say.

At the end of our confession, we are told to "Go in peace" and to "have no further concern" over the sins we are absolved of. If there is no further temptation, it belongs out of your life forever now.

But of course any concerns should be discussed with YOUR priest. But when he says to leave it, then you should. Having it still go on in your mind is possibly an attempt by the enemy to drag you into various problems that could be caused by dwelling on it. Again, my priest friends would say - cross yourself, say the Jesus prayer, use holy water - and those things should stop.
Hear, hear! Amen, sister.

Anyway, the OP said those sins happened in the past, when he was 14yo and they were part of the lust every teenager suffers, sadly, so I believe that if you said the "sexual perversions" part it is well enough. As your confessor said.

Upvote 0