Apr 6, 2017
Boise, ID, USA
✟20,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A serious question to liberals...

Hi everybody. I want you to know that I am a strict Christian conservative who holds on to strict Christian values and teachings. I believe in the literal 6-day creation, as was documented in the Bible. I believe homosexuality is wrong. I believe anyone and anything outside of the Christian faith is a false path. That means Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and everything else, are wrong and should be avoided.

My values are set in stone and that will never change...

I honestly, truly, and sincerely want to ask to you liberals... Where do you get your beliefs from? Me, personally, I get my beliefs from intelligent religious people and scripture. If an intelligent Christian tells me that X is wrong and Y is right, I will believe him/her because I have a good reason to (He's a CHRISTIAN and he's INTELLIGENT.).

But what about you? Why do you believe that there is more than one path to God? Why should abortion be legal? Why advocate same-sex marriage? Why why why?

I'm skeptical, but I'm also very curious...

Thanks for your thoughts.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what about you?

I am an intelligent Christian who is also a liberal/progressive Christian. I am so because that is the only way I have found to maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity.

Why do you believe that there is more than one path to God?

Because I have met people of other faiths whose connection to God is unmistakable and radiant.

Why should abortion be legal?

I believe that abortion should be legal, it should be safe, it should be available and it should be the woman’s informed choice but most important of all --- it should be rare.

Why advocate same-sex marriage?

Justice.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I am an intelligent Christian who is also a liberal/progressive Christian. I am so because that is the only way I have found to maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity.

Because I have met people of other faiths whose connection to God is unmistakable and radiant.

I believe that abortion should be legal, it should be safe, it should be available and it should be the woman’s informed choice but most important of all --- it should be rare.

Justice.

If you're able to lower the death count from 50 per cent for the participants of abortions I'll be willing to reconsider my position, but until then you're advocating for murder.

Have you made a God in your own image then? If Christ says no-one comes to the father except through him then how can you say otherwise without making your own Christ?

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
A lot of the beliefs of Christian Liberals comes from the power of human reasoning that God gave to all of us. I normally do not like labels and I a probably more of a Moderate than I am a Liberal or a Conservative. I am opposed to drinking alcohol, though not on religious grounds, but because it is a social evil and tied in with spousal abuse, sex abuse, child abuse, car accident deaths, etc. I have mixed feelings about gay marriage. Personally, it makes me uncomfortable, but I do not mind society allowing gays to marry. I am against abortion, but there is no going back, my friends. The Supreme Court's Rowe vs. Wade decision is almost certainly here to stay. The death penalty is against what the Gospels teach, in my view, and I have been opposed to it for as long as I can remember. Jesus commanded us to help the poor and I suspect that most Christians probably fail this test in a big way. I try hard to meet this command of the Lord. The biggest single area in which I could be called a Liberal is in terms of salvation. I do not deny that Hell is a real possibility, though I believe that it is probably reserved for the worst of the worst. Sorry, but I cannot accept the doctrine that only Christians will make it to Heaven and that all Jews, Muslims, and others will be damned to Hell. Such a doctrine runs contrary to the concept of a loving God.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi everybody. I want you to know that I am a strict Christian conservative who holds on to strict Christian values and teachings. I believe in the literal 6-day creation, as was documented in the Bible. I believe homosexuality is wrong. I believe anyone and anything outside of the Christian faith is a false path. That means Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and everything else, are wrong and should be avoided.

I honestly, truly, and sincerely want to ask to you liberals... Where do you get your beliefs from? Me, personally, I get my beliefs from intelligent religious people and scripture. If an intelligent Christian tells me that X is wrong and Y is right, I will believe him/her because I have a good reason to (He's a CHRISTIAN and he's INTELLIGENT.).

But what about you? Why do you believe that there is more than one path to God? Why should abortion be legal? Why advocate same-sex marriage? Why why why?

If an intelligent Christian tells me that X is wrong and Y is right, I will believe him/her because I have a good reason to (He's a CHRISTIAN and he's INTELLIGENT.).
So I guess your saying we're not Christians, and we're stupid, since we're not narrow minded and prejudice like you.

I listen to the bible 11 times a year, and have been doing so 35 years, maybe you ought to try it, it makes you less narrow minded.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I am not sure that all "liberal" Christians believe as you say they do. But that is not my main point in this post.

I suspect that many so-called "liberals" are reacting to what they (and I am one of them) see as an entirely wonky package of beliefs held by the conservatives - support of Donald Trump, militarism, embrace of guns, etc.

This is not a defence of liberals holding these views, it is more of an attempt to offer an explanation.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I would have a similar answer, from the Bible and from intelligent Christians. Yet I consider myself progressive/liberal. Like Jack, this is the only way I know how to uphold my spiritual and intellectual integrity.

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

jovanovic

Jun 13, 2017
malmö
✟9,951.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the problem with conservatism is that it opresses people, i can not stand behind that.

Yes being gay, pro-abortion etc its a sin, but we can not force people to follow the strict rules of our religion or be mean to them.

Yes all other religions is wrong but i dont agree with that "islam is evil" that conservatives are saying.

conservatism also have a tendacy to be racist, against immigration, be on the richs people side, liberals are anti-racist, pro immigration and on the poor peoples side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm definitely not a liberal. However, I take issue with your interpretation of what it means to be a bona-fide Christian. I cannot now and will never get my beliefs from intelligent religious persons. Christianity is clearly not based upon intelligence (my mind, my mental) and religion (which Christianity is not and never has been). Christianity is based IN and OF our Savior, Jesus, Romans 10:8-13. There is no other argument, no other plea. His death, burial and resurrection sing out across the halls of Heaven and in my life, and the life of every authentic Christian Believer. Salvation is by Grace through Faith, the GIFT of God, lest intelligence / religion boast.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the problem with conservatism is that it opresses people, i can not stand behind that.

Yes being gay, pro-abortion etc its a sin, but we can not force people to follow the strict rules of our religion or be mean to them.

Yes all other religions is wrong but i dont agree with that "islam is evil" that conservatives are saying.

conservatism also have a tendacy to be racist, against immigration, be on the richs people side, liberals are anti-racist, pro immigration and on the poor peoples side.
How is that working out in Sweden?

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be a liberally progressive Christian is to be a spiritually dead Christian.

Basically, let's throw out all the rules because who cares, for the sake of social acceptance.
I don't care if people burn.
Anybody like this, needs a serious bible study.

Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
liberals are anti-racist, pro immigration and on the poor peoples side.
animated-laughing-image-0175.gif

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
To be a liberally progressive Christian is to be a spiritually dead Christian.

Basically, let's throw out all the rules because who cares, for the sake of social acceptance.
I don't care if people burn.
Anybody like this, needs a serious bible study.

You're very wrong about our motivations. Social approval is about the last thing I care about.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you made a God in your own image then? If Christ says no-one comes to the father except through him then how can you say otherwise without making your own Christ?

To some extent at least, all of us invent our own image of God or our own Christ. Certainly Paul and Mark and Matthew and Luke and John have each invented their own images of God and of the Christ. I look to all of them for wisdom and insight and then draw my own conclusions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.