Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Let me put it this way...if you are out to please yourself...it is wrong. In sex, even though it feels good, it (the feeling good) should not be your motivation. Your motivation should be to love your wife or husband even in such an intimate physical act.
Hmmm.
The Oxford dictionary seems to have a VERY restricted concept of lust - there is such a thing as blood-lust, and sexual-lust is generally counted as just one form of lust.
It is possible that ... masturbation as a means of release at a time when the spouse is not really able to meet the desire would meet requirement. It would then be undertaken as a matter of consideration, I would think.

Hmmm...I think that masturbation is wrong, but I'm not going to say that I haven't done it before (we all have hormones). There is a bit of lust (as far as sexual desire) in sex, but it isn't about pleasing yourself (or at least it shouldn't be), but rather about pleasing your spouse. When you touch...who are you pleasing other than yourself?
Hmmm. Pleasing your spouse could be an aim of masturbation - some spouses get a lot of pleasure out of watching.

Upvote 0

Warrior4Jah

Conservative on a mission
Jun 26, 2002
Ohio!!!! YAY!
Visit site
✟692.00
Well isnt this interesting! Its lust so its wrong. Are you telling me youve never in your life walked down the street, saw a good looking girl and got "impure" thoughts? Are you telling me youve never in your life flipped through the channels, saw an attractive lady and began to get a hint of "impure" thoughts? I could go on and on of with 1000 situations in which a man would get "impure" thoughts. Ya wanna know why? Because sex is all men evr think about! All of thsi could be considered as lust. When I was in class one day a girl walked by, I leaned over to my freind and he told me "Check her out" and I just nodded in agreement. Uh oh! Better zip on down to the pastor, I gotta be saved! Looks like im gonna be goin to church on a daily basis from now on.

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by seebs
I don't think there's a clear teaching here; masturbation is something that comes in and out of social fashion. Indeed, some of the verses used today to condemn homosexuals were, at one time, generally felt to condemn masturbation. (To say that the original text is vague is a polite understatement.)

The closest we have to a clear condemnation is probably the story of Onan - which, so far as I can tell, could just as easily refer to coitus interruptus, and in which the *sin* is disobedience of a direct order.

I think that, like any other sexual activity, it's context and intent that allows us to judge whether or not it's sinful. Intercourse isn't "sinful" or "not sinful" in a vacuum; I don't see why anything else should be.

Note that not all sexual desire is lust; they are distinct concepts, just as not all sense of accomplishment is pride. Sin isn't about a checklist of verbs; it's about your attitude and relationship with God.

Seebs, as usual your replies are well-thought out and show an intelligent grasp of scripture. Keep it up.

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by seebs

This is a mote/beam situation. Contrary to popular belief, God does not kill a kitten every time someone masturbates. On the other hand, every time someone dies of starvation, a person just died.

Where should our priorities be?

Dude you rock. I love your answers.

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie
Scripture tells us to do all things in moderation.

Quite frankly, many of the posts in this thread, remind me of the way the Pharisees used to debate the OT.

You're making salvation out to be something that is FAR from grace.

You are giving men and women burdens too heavy too bear, and not lifting a finger to help them.

NOW, who's being ungodly?

Christina

Ahhh! What a breath of fresh air! Bless you!

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by Kelier
Masturbation is a type of sexual immorality. Paul said it would be better to marry than to burn with passion.

Right. He said it would be better to marry than to burn with passion.

He didn't say it would be better to marry than to touch.

If he had meant to say "touch", he would have said "touch!"

Upvote 0

mambutuu

Jun 30, 2002
Visit site
✟317.00
Originally posted by Xenagon
People,

BTW if anyone who knows me and is reading this, please keep this information to yourselves of just don't read it as it makes me nervous to talk and even write about it.

I'm 16 and I admit I have a problem with masturbation. I Started age 13 and have been this was ever since. Since I became a christian, or would like to think so, I began to think about my actions and what it was doing to me spiritually and where it would get me in the end. With God in Heaven or with Satan in hell.

When I thought these things and still performed these acts, I knew then I had a problem. It scares me to death sometimes to think that if I don't get my life right with God, sooner or later come Judgment Day, my head may be on the chopping block (figure of speech).

I've prayed many times and attempted fasts. However none have prevailed. I continue to try and rid myself of this addiction even now.

Please, if you have any feed back from my post please respond.

Just go one day aat a time. As the israelites gathered manna on a daily basis, so you should gather strength from God each morning to face the temptation of THAT DAY.

If you fail, then try again the next day. God loves you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by mambutuu

Well, if God allows attorneys to represent people at the Great White Throne Judgement, you will be much in demand.  Your "interpretation" of the Scriptures puts you on this "Dream Team".

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others

And how exactly would you define "burn with passion"? Masturbation is the intentional arousal of self through lust. Are you telling me that adulterous thoughts do not fulfill this purpose? And remember, all sin begins as unholy thought. To intentionally "burn with passion" is the first step toward masturbation, it's ultimate goal.

see above

If he had meant to say "trinity", he would have said "trinity"! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, if God allows attorneys to represent people at the Great White Throne Judgement, you will be much in demand.  Your "interpretation" of the Scriptures puts you on this "Dream Team".

Had God written to anything like the clarity required of legal documents, there would not be a million seperate sects of Christianity arguing over virtually every point imaginable.

Gerry:

Now HERE is an incredible MIRACLE. ONE WOMAN in Canada knows EVERY 16 year old male!!! Then I guess there IS a Santa Clause! lololol!!!

You do know there are actual statistics on masturbation, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  Why? When did they hand sociologists math degrees? If I wanted a relevant opinion on statistics, I'd go ask a statistician.

Yes, it's quite possible to skew statistics. But anyone with a decent knowledge of math and decent information on the set in question can determine how reliable they are.

And, after all, no one asked the respondants if they felt it was moral, immoral, good, bad, yellow or green. Only if they did it.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, does the Bible say "do not kill"?

I think so.

So why are there still christian soldiers out there?

Does the Bible say "do not touch"?

I can´t find this line.

So why don´t you try to agree on the important issues first?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
What if a person can't fnd[sp] anyone to marry them?

Then the individual should pray for purity and perseverance in the fruit of the spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22, NASB, bolding mine

In analogy, what if a married couple has "irreconcilable differences"? Divorce certificates were given. But did Jesus condone such activity? NO!!!

They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE AND SEND her AWAY?" He said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way. - Matthew 19:7-8, NASB, bolding mine

Upvote 0

MajorJesusFreak

CHRISTIAN METAL NEVER DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by DaveKerwin
Official Veiw:

Masturbation is wrong. If a person can think non-sexual thought while masturbating, then they are non-human. When a person masturbates, its lust, just admit it. Therefore, it is wrong!!

Any Christian who is serious about their faith will avoid such an act. But being a man, its not an easy thing. But what counts is your efforts and repentance when you do sin.

Side note: Thinking about your spouse sexually cannot be wrong. So married folk can do what they please, assuming they got their spouse on their mind.

I do not believe masturbation is wrong in and of itself, though lustfull thoughts about someone your not maried to is.  I, however need only think about the enjoyment of masturbation to get aroused.  I DON"T use lustfull thoughts.  Infact, releaving myself KEEPS me from having impure thoughts!  I must admit though, the main reason I do it is because it is very enjoyable.

Upvote 0