Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fact that individual believers of Israel are the sons of God at this present time along with the believing gentiles does not nullify or void one single covenantal promise he has made to them as a family and a nation and he will keep every promise to them after the church is complete.
But of course He Will!!!!!:cool:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

colo 2:14 Out-rubbing/ex-aleiyaV <1813> (5660) the down/kaq <2596> over/upenantion <5227 US handwriting/ceiro-grafon <5498> to the decrees/dogmasin <1378> , which was hostile to us, and it has taken/hrken <142> out of the midst toward-nailing it to the stauros/stake/stave

Revelation 21:4 and the God shall be out-rubbing/ex-aleiyei <1813> (5692) every tear/dakruon <1144> out of THEIR eyes, and the death shall not be any more, nor sorrow/penqoV <3997>, nor crying/kraugh <2906>, nor shall there be any more pain/ponoV <4192>, that the former-things pass away.'

Upvote 0

Micah68

Discerning
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Visit site
✟9,333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very well said.

Curious still, what would a 'literal' translation of this be :scratch:

Sons of God Are Heirs of Promise
3:23 Now before faith 51 came we were held in custody under the law, being kept as prisoners 52 until the coming faith would be revealed. 3:24 Thus the law had become our guardian 53 until Christ, so that we could be declared righteous 54 by faith. 3:25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. 55 3:26 For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God through faith. 56 3:27 For all of you who 57 were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave 58 nor free, there is neither male nor female 59 – for all of you are one in Christ Jesus. 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, 60 heirs according to the promise.

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mal 3:1 Behold, I send My messenger,And he will prepare the way before Me.
And the Lord, whom you seek,
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the Messenger of the covenant,
In whom you delight.
Behold, He is coming,"
Says the Lord of hosts

Mal 4:4 "Remember the Law of Moses, My servant,
Which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel,
With the statutes and judgments.
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
6 And he will turn
The hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

Now we ask to whom these words were addressed. And we go back to chapter 1 vs 1.
The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

So thus, a literal fulfillment of this prophecy would be to Israel, and Israel alone. And the time of it will be at the millenial reign of Christ. Malachi refers to the Messanger of the Covenant, which all Judea would supposedly recognize as a literal reign of Christ.

Now lets go to the Disciples question concerning this matter.

Matt 17:10 And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?" (Remember, this is just after the transfiguration of Elijah and Moses) 11 Jesus answered and said to them, "Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things. 12 But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands." 13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

In this red part, by the word "Indeed" Jesus confirms and supports both Malachi's promise and prophecy and their disciples beleif in it. He uses the future tense because he is referring directly to the Prophecy in the tense that it was recorded in Malachi. If we were to stop at this sentence, it would appear that Jesus is saying that in the future, Elijah will literally come.

But Jesus says: Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands." 13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

Jesus says, Elijah HAS COME.. the disciples could have thought; in the transfiguration, but Jesus continues: they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. And the disciples understood that Jesus spoke of John the Baptist.

Thus Jesus ascribes a figurative fullfillment of Malachi's prophecy that was clearly to the house of Israel which is also associated with the New Covenant to come to Israel in the Millenial kingdom.

Is Jesus the unbeliever??

We also have the account of the priests and Levites asking about weather or not John was the literal fulfillment (reincarnation) of Elijah that was promised. John denies being the literal reincarnation of Elijah, and at the same time confirms that he is the one to preceed the Lord's coming, using Isaiah 40 rather than Malachi 4 thus confirming that He is the fulfillment of that prophecy.
19 Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?"
20 He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, "I am not the Christ."
21 And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
And he answered, "No."
22 Then they said to him, "Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?"
23He said: "I am

'The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
"Make straight the way of the Lord,"'
as the prophet Isaiah said."
24 Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees.

Notice in verse 24, who these were who sought a literal reincarnated Elijah and did not recognize the 'spirit of Elijah' in John the Baptist. They were of the Pharisees.

Apparently this idea of the expectation of a 'literal fulfillment of Elijah was believed and taught by the Pharisees. Jesus introduce the idea of Elijah as John the Baptist earlier in Matt 11.10 For this (John the Baptist) is [he], of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee; and spoke it plainly 3 verses later in Matt 11:14. And if ye will receive [it], this is Elias, which was for to come.

Notice the important words; If ye will recieve it. What waited for those who did not recieve it or Jesus? A second chance in the Millenium? No, the Vengeance and destruciton of Jerusalem / Judea and the loss of their lives.

We have further explanation of the figurative fulfillement in the promise of John the Baptist's birth given to Zacharias. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. 16 And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

We are given further indication that these things are purposely hidden from the 'wise' in Matt 11:25. At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.

The point is, you see these words as pertaining to the church. You see them as pertaining to gentiles.
Here again, you expose your view that there are still Jew and Gentile division in the church or that the 'church' is predominantly Gentile. Ephesians 2 says very clearly that the barrier between Jew/Gentile has been slain in the Cross. The Jewish race was disolved, the geneology destroyed. What has resurfaced and are now called Jews, is just as Isaiah said, A viper shall rise out of that which is Crushed. These are Pharisees that want you to look for a LITERAL fulfillment and miss the figurative fulfillment of a Israel of 'all nations of the earth, that was the Mystery that Paul talks about.

You do not see them as addressed to the sons of Jacob or you do not define the sons of Jacob or the house of Israel as exclusively Israel.

Yes, they are obviously addressed in the old testament as the sons of Jacob, house of Israel etc. When Jesus himself says that the Gospel and the promises to Abraham is to go to "all nations" I think it should end argument. Luke 24:37. And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Paul, Luke and Peter explained the reasons that the Israel in which the New Covenant is fulfilled is an Israel composed of All Nations including Jews. These verses have been stressing that foundation. Gal 3,4, Gal 3:16; Eph 1-3; Rom 3-5; 9-11; And I'm sure there are others. Luke 3:25. The apostles countinually quote old testament prophecies and scripture to show the fulfillment of those scriptures to explain and confirm the body of saints of all nations as the fulfillment of those scriptures. This is the example of Jeremiah 31 as quoted in Hebrews. Yes, Hebrews was written to primarily Jews in Jerusalem, but as Paul says again in Ephesians 2 that Greek and Jew in Christ are co-heirs of the promises. Again, there is no difference of Jew/Greek even though the PHarisess want you to believe it.

It is not as if the Jews rejected Christ and now this offer has come to the Gentiles. John said that Jesus was the Lamb slain before the foundation of the World. Jesus said that for this very reason (to die on the cross) he came into the world. Abraham was preached the Gospel when it was said to Him; In you shall ALL NATIONS of the earth be blessed. Gal 3:8

In refering to the salvation that has come upon the Romans, Paul says that it is not as if the word of God has had no effect...as if God were unable to keep his promises to the Israelites concerning His promises and salvation. For they are not ALL ISRAEL who are OF ISRAEL. This last sentence goes directly against your premise quoted above that the old testament Promises were strictly and literaly to the house of Israel or descendants of Israel. Paul indicates in this chapter 9 that the fulfillment of those promises are figuratively fulfulled to "all Israel" composed of believers of All Nations, the jew first, according to the election of Grace, as he explains further in the text. They are the elect children through the seed/promise of Christ continued through Abraham/Sara, Isaac/ Rebecca, Jacob according to the purpose of God, not according to the flesh. Otherwise all Abrahams and Isaacs seed would be heirs to the promises.

The geneology is destroyed. There is now (ever since 70 AD) no proof of being geneological Israel. There was a symbolic and realistic purpose for God to allow or cause this. What survived is the religion of the PHarisees as described in Isaiah 59:5. It is the Pharisees religion of the Babylonian Talmud and the commentaries of the Torah and the Kaballah of the 13th (I think) century.

When the New Testament writers teach that a figurative fulfillment of the promises to Israel are to be found in an Israel of Christ of 'all nations including Jew and Gentile', as Paul does in chapter 9, then we become disbelievers to not believe in this fulfillment. We would be like the Pharisees who continue to look for a "literal" Elijah when he has already come. We would look for a future Kingdom of God and a NEW and Perfect Covenant, when It has Already come and is still here for recieving. (the acceptable day of the Lord).

Salvation and approval by God is not obtained by studying so that you can be approved by other people by "rightly dividing"; pushing off the Kingdom of God/Christ and claiming a special church age of Grace. It's obtained by being given Grace to Believe that Jesus Is the Son of God, eternal life is given to all who call upon His name in repentance and mercy. He who has the Son..(who already came) has LIFE, He who has not the Son, hath not LIFE.

So, has prophecy ended? No, We are still in a acceptable year of the Lord, and the interactions described in some of those prophecies are very much fulfilled and occuring. Fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace.... etc. etc. The Viper of Pharisees (not jewish race) has risen it's head, just as prophecied.

Thus, if you wish..classify me as an unbeliever in futurized literal fulfillments when Jesus, Paul, Luke, Peter John, etc were given authority to instruct of the time and manner of their fullfillment. Classify me as an unbeliever in dispensationalism and it's foundational premises of reseperating the beleivers (and unbeleivers) into nations that God has joined together and disolved respectively.

Your statement about there being jewish believers and Gentile believers and Jewish unbelievers/Gentile unbelievers is directly opposite Pauls teaching of Ephesians and denys the fact that there is no traceable jewish race or tribes.

Gentlemen. again, I dislike the idea of leaving a discussion open ended. But I think I'll opt to leave any further instruction that God has for either of us or anyone reading these words unto the Grace of God and His Spirit. I hope this last section seeing how Malachi's prophecy about Elijah was neither fulfilled in a literal reincarnation or in the literal Millenial kingdom but was confirmed and taught by JESUS to be fulfilled figuratively might shed understanding Jeremiah 31 as described in Hebrews and in a salvation and kingdom of God of "all Israel" out of all nations as described by romans 9.
God bless and may God grant Grace to believe in His Son more fully than we do.

Upvote 0

holdon

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,041.00
Faith
Christian
Apparently this idea of the expectation of a 'literal fulfillment of Elijah was believed and taught by the Pharisees. Jesus introduce the idea of Elijah as John the Baptist earlier in Matt 11.10 For this (John the Baptist) is [he], of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee; and spoke it plainly 3 verses later in Matt 11:14. And if ye will receive [it], this is Elias, which was for to come.

Notice the important words; If ye will recieve it. What waited for those who did not recieve it or HIM? A second chance in the Millenium? No, the Vengeance and destruciton of Jerusalem / Judea and the loss of their lives.

We have further explanation of the figurative fulfillement in the promise of John the Baptist's birth given to Zacharias. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. 16 And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

We are given further indication that these things are purposely hidden from the 'wise' in Matt 11:25. At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.

Paul, Luke and Peter laid the foundation and reasons that the Israel to which the New Covenant is fulfilled is an Israel composed of All Nations.
???
These verses that have been stressed are that foundation. Gal 3,4, Gal 3:16; Eph 1-3; Rom 3-5; 9-11; And I'm sure there are others. Luke 3:25. They countinually quote old testament prophecies and scripture to show the fulfillment of those scriptures to explain and confirm the body of saints of all nations as the fulfillment of those scriptures.
Heck no. The Church, was a mystery.....
This is the example of Jeremiah 31 as quoted in Hebrews. Yes, Hebrews was written to primarily Jews in Jerusalem, but as Paul says again in Ephesians 2 that Greek and Jew in Christ are co-heirs of the promises. Again, there is no difference of Jew/Greek even though the PHarisess want you to believe it.

It is not as if the Jews rejected Christ and now this offer has come to the Gentiles. John said that Jesus was the Lamb slain before the foundation of the World. Jesus said that for this very reason (to die on the cross) he came into the world. Abraham was preached the Gospel when it was said to Him; In you shall ALL NATIONS of the earth be blessed.

In refering to the salvation that has come upon the Romans, Paul says that it is not as if the word of God has had no effect...as if God were unable to keep his promises to Israel, Judah, Jacob and the Israelites concerning His promises and salvation. For they are not ALL ISRAEL who are OF ISRAEL. This last sentence goes directly against your premise quoted above that the old testament Promises were strictly and literaly to the house of Israel or descendants of Israel. Paul indicates in this chapter 9 that the fulfillment of those promises are figuratively fulfulled to "all Israel" composed of believers of All Nations, the jew first, according to the election of Grace, as he explains further in the text. They are the elect children of seed/promise of Christ continued through Abraham/Sara, Isaac/ Rebecca, Jacob according to the purpose of God, not according to the flesh. Otherwise all Abrahams and Isaacs seed would be heirs to the promises.

When the New Testament writers teach a figurative fulfillment of the promises to Israel to be found in an Israel of Christ of 'all nations including Jew and Gentile', as Paul does in chapter 9, then we become disbelievers to not believe in this fulfillment. We would be like the Pharisees who continue to look for a "literal" Elijah when he has already come. We would look for a future Kingdom of God and a NEW and Perfect Covenant, when It has Already come and is still here for recieving. (the acceptable day of the Lord).

So, has prophecy ended? No, We are still in a acceptable year of the Lord, and the interactions described in some of those prophecies are very much fulfilled and occuring. Fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace.... etc. etc. The Viper of Pharisees (not jewish race) has risen it's head, just as prophecied.

Thus, if you wish..classify me as an unbeliever in futurized literal fulfillments when Jesus, Paul, Luke, Peter John, etc were given authority to instruct of the time and manner of their fullfillment. Classify me as an unbeliever in dispensationalism and it's foundational premises of reseperating the beleivers (and unbeleivers) into nations that God has joined together and disolved.

Your statement about there being jewish believers and Gentile believers and Jewish unbelievers/Gentile unbelievers is directly opposite Pauls teaching of Ephesians and denys the fact that there is no traceable jewish race or tribes.

Gentlemen. again, I dislike the idea of leaving a discussion open ended. But I think I'll opt to leave any further instruction that God has for either of us or anyone reading these words unto the Grace of God and His Spirit. I hope this last section seeing how Malachi's prophecy about Elijah was neither fulfilled in a literal reincarnation or in the literal Millenial kingdom but was confirmed and taught by JESUS to be fulfilled figuratively might shed understanding on the fulfillment of Jeremiah 31 in the church as described in Hebrews and in an "all Israel" salvation and kingdom of God of all nations as described by romans 9.
God bless and may God grant Grace to believe in His Son more fully than we do.

Thanks for calling those who do not agree with you in this vision, Pharisees and Vipers and what not. Pretty venomous statements if you ask me.

Elijah, ie John the baptist, did not restore all things. He ended up beheaded in Jesus' times. But John the baptist came and preached in the spirit of Elijah. So, that's why he did come in a sense. This is the only way you can interpret Jesus' words I think. Otherwise you make Him contradict Himself.

And the statement of Jews and Gentiles in the Church as if there was no distinction is false. They were of course Jews and Gentiles, men and women, masters and slaves; etc. those conditions didn't change once they converted to Christianity. But in the Body of Christ, they were to all on the same equal footing. What's so difficult about understanding these things?

Upvote 0

marke

Nov 5, 2006
Idaho
✟16,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The BBC News Service is cut from the same cloth as what has come to be called the mainstream news in the United States. Both have demonstrated their prejudice so many times that their credibility has been completely destroyed. The only people who consider them credible are those who are themselves so prejudiced that they would believe any charge against the subjects of their ire. That is why their audience has been shrinking so dramatically in recent years.

But since you choose to believe this story, I will answer that sex slavery goes on in almost every society, even in the United States. But it is illegal in Israel, even as it is illegal in the United States. I flatly do not believe charges that the Israeli government tolerates such things. But in some countries, such as India and parts of Africa, it is legal. Yet these same news people show very little interest in that.

As to torture of prisoners, these same news people call it torture when a man is deprived of sleep for long periods of time, but do not call it torture when the organizations these people come from cut off heads and murder children.
You know bible writer,

torture doesn't quite work with the "do on to others" thing Jesus talks about. Doesn't quite work with the "turn the other cheek" thing Jesus talks about either.

It does however work with the "many will come in My name" thing "and you will know them by their fruit". Torture and sexual slavery is evil fruit in any language.

I'm surprised you are defending/justifying and/or making light of it. The only thing "Christian" about these actions is Jesus tells us to watch the fruit as the means to tell whom they serve. A follower of the Christ wouldn't do or support anyone who did those things. The actions you can expect from a follower of Jesus are clearly defined in the NT. That's where I read it.

Worse than that, Bible writer, it's what mercy you extend is the mercy you can expect. If you want to justify those wrong actions away, so will you reap what you sow.

Just a thought. Think I'd be reading rather than writing.

God Bless.

Reactions: Micah68
Upvote 0

Micah68

Discerning
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Visit site
✟9,333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know bible writer,

torture doesn't quite work with the "do on to others" thing Jesus talks about. Doesn't quite work with the "turn the other cheek" thing Jesus talks about either.

It does however work with the "many will come in My name" thing "and you will know them by their fruit". Torture and sexual slavery is evil fruit in any language.

I'm surprised you are defending/justifying and/or making light of it. The only thing "Christian" about these actions is Jesus tells us to watch the fruit as the means to tell whom they serve. A follower of the Christ wouldn't do or support anyone who did those things. The actions you can expect from a follower of Jesus are clearly defined in the NT. That's where I read it.

Worse than that, Bible writer, it's what mercy you extend is the mercy you can expect. If you want to justify those wrong actions away, so will you reap what you sow.

Just a thought. Think I'd be reading rather than writing.

God Bless.

WOW!! So well said. The injustice of it all should be what gives a person pause and question. IMO my biggest beef with dispensationalism is the confining of God to a pre-written script in which 'prophecy' is considered pre-written history. How small this makes God to be, proving a wise mans words that it is impossible for man to have the faith of a mustard seed.

Upvote 0

LLWHA

May 21, 2007
✟910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mal 3:1 Behold, I send My messenger,And he will prepare the way before Me.
And the Lord, whom you seek,
Will suddenly come to His temple,
Even the Messenger of the covenant,
In whom you delight.
Behold, He is coming,"
Says the Lord of hosts

Mal 4:4 "Remember the Law of Moses, My servant,
Which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel,
With the statutes and judgments.
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet
Before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord.
6 And he will turn
The hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

As anyone that reads and has any understanding knows that this is about the end of this age and the Great and Dreadful day of The I AM that Malachi is talking about.

This is about the very last days and the Fire.

Elijah here would be Christ returning to the Earth.

Jah means God.

Correct translation. Matt. 17:10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the lawyers that Elias must first come?
17:11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of Man suffer of them.
17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spoke unto them of John the Baptist (Elias - Elisha NOT Elijah).

John the Baptist was not God!!

\Jah\ (j[aum]), n. [Heb. y[=a]h.]Jehovah. --Ps. lxviii. 4.a contraction for Jehovah (Ps. 68:4).

1. [n] the Judeo-Christian God
  2. [n] a name for the Old Testament God as transliterated from the Hebrew YHVH

1. [*]Eli mean High Priest
The High Priest of God Is Christ!!

This plain and simple is about the lasts days and Christ returning to this earth.

3:1 Behold, I will send My messenger (Elias/John the Baptist - Luke 1:17; Matt. 11:14; 17:12), and he shall prepare the way before Me (John 1:15, 23;): and the Lord, Whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His Temple, even the messenger of The Covenant (Eze. 34:25 - Jesus; Matt. 26:28;), whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the "I AM" Lord of hosts.

Upvote 0

Notrash

May 5, 2007
In my body
✟10,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As anyone that reads and has any understanding knows that this is about the end of this age and the Great and Dreadful day of The I AM that Malachi is talking about.
Jah means God.
Correct translation. Matt. 17:10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the lawyers that Elias must first come?
17:11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of Man suffer of them.
17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spoke unto them of John the Baptist (Elias - Elisha NOT Elijah).
\Jah\ (j[aum]), n. [Heb. y[=a]h.]Jehovah. --Ps. lxviii. 4.a contraction for Jehovah (Ps. 68:4).
  1. [n] theJudeo-ChristianGod
  2. [n] anamefortheOldTestamentGodastransliteratedfromtheHebrewYHVH
  1. Eli mean High Priest
This plain and simple is about the lasts days and Christ returning to this earth.
3:1 Behold, I will send My messenger (Elias/John the Baptist - Luke 1:17; Matt. 11:14; 17:12), and he shall prepare the way before Me (John 1:15, 23;): and the Lord, Whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to His Temple, even the messenger of The Covenant (Eze. 34:25 - Jesus; Matt. 26:28;), whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the "I AM" Lord of hosts.
I think from previous posts, I think your pro-dispensationalist, or else this post is tongue in cheek. If so, sorry I didnt' recognize that comedy.

Well at least you didn't try to worm your way around these things by saying these things are figurative, but only when Jesus actually confirms their figurative use. In addition, you've confirmed that according to dispensationalists "literal" and jewish millenial views, Malachi 4 would and should be applied to that supposed coming time period.

You have 4 points (at least) to address before this is looked at more seriously.
Point 1. Elias is simply greek for Elijah, thus Elias=Elijah not Elisha. You would need to give a reason to associate Elias in the N.T. with Elisha in the O.T. particularly when the reference to Elijah in Mal 4:6 is refered to as Elias in Luke 1:17.
From Wikipedia, other dictionaries say similar things.
Elias is the latinised version of the Greek name &#919;&#955;&#943;&#945;(&#962;), pronounced e-lee-a(s) in Greek and English. (Elias or &#919;&#955;&#953;&#945;&#962; in Greek is the formal usage of the name, with Elia/&#919;&#955;&#953;&#945; used in informal usage.) However it is also popular to pronounce the name as e-lye-as in English.
It is the Greek form of Elijah, the name of an important prophet in the Hebrew Bible. Some English translations of the New Testament, including the King James Version, use this form of the name. Newer translations usually translate it as Elijah. Elias is thought to be linguistically derived from Elijah because the Hebrew suffix -yahu, rendered -iah or -jah in English is consistently replaced with -ias in Greek, as seen in other names such as Isaiah/Esaias and Jeremiah/Jeremias.

Point 2. The references in the gospels which talk about John the Baptist refer to prophecies about Elijah, not about Elisha. In Luke 1:16 And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah(or Elias in the greek), 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

The underlined part is a direct reference to Malachi 4:6 with the following words being a direct reference to Malachi 3:1. In both Luke 1:17 it is John the baptist who is refered to as coming in the spirit of Elijah. Thus "Elias" in Luke 1:17 = Elijah in Malachi 4:6 and 3:1. Jesus also confirmed that Mal 3:1 was referring to Elijah. Matt 11.10 For this (John the Baptist) is [he], of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee;(Malachi 3:1) and spoke it plainly 3 verses later in Matt 11:14. And if ye will receive [it], this is Elias,(Elijah) which was for to come.

Point 3. You would need to show where the scribes/lawyers got their idea that Elisha was prophecied to come first before Jesus, the Messiah's, 'first coming'.

Point 4. You need to explain the dichotomy of Johns testimony that he is not Elijah, (while at the same time claiming prophecies about Elijah to Himself)and Jesus' testimony in Matt 11:14 that John the Baptist is Elijah who was to come.

Other comments:
Here again you show the manner of indoctrinating by religious/intillectual intimidation and oppression against any who would interpret Malachai in a different way......even Jesus.
_As anyone that reads and has any understanding knows_ implies that anyone who does not come to the same view or conclusion does not read or has no understanding_ even Jesus or the "I AM" himself who prophecied through Zecharias about John the baptist.

One way in which John the baptist "restored all things" was by his teaching that it was the inward man that needed repentance and cleansing unto eternal life, and not the outward religious man according to the religious leaders teaching. In this manner John the B. restored eternal perspectives and right relationship with God before Jesus came to reinforce them and to provide the justification for forgiveness. This eternal life perspective would have been opposite of the religious leaders teaching towards a earthly dominion as it is also now.
John 3:compare the first half of the chapter of Jesus teaching with similar words and ideas of Johns teaching in the second half. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. Compare with John 3:18.
John restored the emphasis of teaching to focus on eternal life and forgiveness of sins (to a pre-fall state of forgiven sins) rather than national or racial superiority through obedience to rituals, sacrifices and their leaders, teachers. John restored the Israelites minds to a teaching that would more readily accept a salvation to people of all nations. He restored forgiveness of sin to a teaching of repentence and faith rather than the soon to be ending sacrificial types and shadows.

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jah means God.

1. [n] the Judeo-Christian God
  2. [n] a name for the Old Testament God as transliterated from the Hebrew YHVH

1. [*]Eli mean High Priest

WOW!

What a great post! It really is quite clear if people would only open their hearts and see, isn't it!!?!!

Thank you for adding that!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Micah68

Discerning
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Visit site
✟9,333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Backing up the debate that 'Zionism' is racism.

United Nations General Assembly Resolution 3379

(November 10, 1975)

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
RECALLING its resolution 1904 (XVIII) of 20 November 1963, proclaiming the United Nations Declaration on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, and in particular its affirmation that "any doctrine of racial differentiation or superiority is scientifically false, morally condemnable, socially unjust and dangerous" and its expression of alarm at "the manifestations of racial discrimination still in evidence in some areas in the world, some of which are imposed by certain Governments by means of legislative, administrative or other measures",
RECALLING ALSO that, in its resolution 3151 G (XXVIII) of 14 December 1953, the General Assembly condemned, inter alia, the unholy alliance between South African racism and Zionism,
TAKING NOTE of the Declaration of Mexico on the Equality of Women and Their Contribution to Development and Peace 1975, proclaimed by the World Conference of the Intenrational Women's Year, held at Mexico City from 19 June to 2 July 1975, which promulgated the principle that "international co-operation and peace require the achievement of national liberation and independence, the elimination of colonialism and neo-colonialism, foreign occupation, Zionism, apartheid and racial discrimination in all its forms, as well as the recognition of the dignity of peoples and their right to self-determination",
TAKING NOTE ALSO of resolution 77 (XII) adopted by the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African Unity at its twelfth ordinary session, held at Kampala from 28 July to 1 August 1975, which considered "that the racist regime in occupied Palestine and the racist regime in Zimbabwe and South Africa have a comon imperialist origin, forming a whole and having the same racist structure and being organically linked in their policy aimed at repression of the dignity and integrity of the human being",
TAKING NOTE ALSO of the Political Declaration and Strategy to Strengthen International Peace and Security and to Intensify Solidarity and Mutual Assistance among Non-Aligned Countries, adopted at the Conference of Ministers for Foreign Affairs of Non-Aligned Countries held at Lima from 25 to 30 August 1975, which most severely condemned Zionism as a threat to world peace and security and called upon all countries to oppose this racist and imperalist ideology,
DETERMINES that Zionism is a form of racism and racial discrimination.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/UN/unga3379.html

Upvote 0

Micah68

Discerning
Aug 8, 2007
Florida
Visit site
✟9,333.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Palestinians, Christian Zionists and the Good News GospelJohn Hubers
John Hubers is a Ph.D. Candidate at the Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago.

Palestinians, Christian Zionists and the Good News Gospel

[1] What is striking in the large body of writing and activity related to the development of Christian Zionism, particularly in its more extreme manifestation rooted in American pop culture dispensationalism, is how little is said about those who were most affected by the establishment of the Jewish state and its subsequent expansion. Many of those whose families had been resident in the land for many years -- in some cases many hundreds of years -- before the advent of Zionism and its colonizing venture were forced to leave their homes and give up their property during the wars that Christian Zionists celebrate as the miraculous outworking of God’s purposes which brought the modern state of Israel into existence. Although precise numbers are difficult to ascertain as this, like everything else connected to this conflict is used on both sides for polemical purposes, most reliable sources would agree that between 600,000-750,000 non-Jewish residents were forced into refugee status in the 1948 War. [1] In addition, 413 of the villages they had called home were razed to the ground by the Israeli army to make sure the former residents could never return, and homes owned by Palestinian Arabs in urban neighborhoods were confiscated and turned over to Jewish families. This tragedy was compounded when several hundred thousand more Palestinians became refugees after the 1967 War. Efforts to blunt the ethical dilemma this represents with reminders of the equally tragic expulsion of Jewish residents of Middle Eastern states during the same period of time as an unjustifiable act of reprisal does not erase the fact that we are looking at a great human tragedy.(Continued)
http://www.elca.org/jle/print.asp?k=716

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.