St. Louis, MO.
✟373,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"A bronze statue of the satanic goat monster Baphomet was unveiled Thursday [August 16] at the Arkansas Capitol building in front of a cheering crowd of free-speech activists and a smaller crowd of unhappy people holding handwritten Bible verses. The nearly 8-foot-tall statue’s brief public appearance marked the culmination of a three-year effort for the Satanic Temple to bring it there..."

No one actually worships Baphomet. He's hauled just around to be provocative. Another skirmish in the culture wars.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...uilding/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cfa56375576f

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, one where Christians get incensed when others get equality.
I'm hardly offended but this image is obscenity. By the way I never cared if the put up a statue of the ten commandments or not. I'll never forget passing a Klan rally on the State House steps, I noticed the small concrete ten commandments statue had been removeed, it was only about two foot tall.

You think this is how equality works, guess we have very different ideas about how we should exercise our civil liberties. I just dont like the statue, I think it's grotesque. I live in Indianapolis, I never liked monument circle because I think the art is warped.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm hardly offended but this image is obscenity.

How can you at once find something obscene and not take offense from it?

You think this is how equality works, guess we have very different ideas about how we should exercise our civil liberties.

Yes, it is. If one group get to put up a monument to their religion on the court house law so do the rest.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How can you at once find something obscene and not take offense from it?

There's a difference between a strong opinion and moral indignation. This thing was designed to cause offense, not out of some deeper meaning beyond that.

Yes, it is. If one group get to put up a monument to their religion on the court house law so do the rest.
Yea I get the legal theory, so lets erect some mpnument to a mediaeval goat god because it will pffend Christian sensibilities. The ten commandments have long been regarded as secular, the religious aspect being sumbolis, at least in modern times. This goat god has never been associated with actual governance, the ten commandments have. It was selected by atheists who cared only about being as obscene and offensive as posiible. They sure got it done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Grotesque but it tells you something about were this country is going.

What does it tell us? And what's obscene about it? It's a guy with a goat head next to two kids.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's a difference between a strong opinion and moral indignation. This thing was designed to cause offense, not out of some deeper meaning beyond that.

The deeper meaning is that those wanting Christians monuments on public land will not accept others having the same rights.

The ten commandments have long been regarded as secular, the religious aspect being sumbolis, at least in modern times.

Err, by who? Half of the ten are purely religious laws.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The deeper meaning is that those wanting Christians monuments on public land will not accept others having the same rights.

Err, by who? Half of the ten are purely religious laws.
Maybe they can knock it down to the 5 commandments then?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe they can knock it down to the 5 commandments then?
I would say three (don’t kill, lie or steal) the rest are not things I’m comfortable having the state meddle with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟990,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would normally agree with a sentiment like this but this particular case is clearly an opposing group just looking to troll more conservative/fundamentalist Christians. Just hoping to start a fight. Because who actually worships Baphomet? Or any kind of demon or Satanic representation or forces of hell?

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would normally agree with a sentiment like this but this particular case is clearly an opposing group just looking to troll more conservative/fundamentalist Christians. Just hoping to start a fight.

I would say they are just hoping get the Christians to relent on the religious monuments on public land or demonstrate just how hypocritical they are on that point.

Upvote 0