East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not been around many ''religious'' people in person in the few years I've known God, I've always been drawn to the right kind of people, but I have seen some on Christian message boards. Honestly, in my early Christian days I think I struggled with a religious spirit a few times. My mentor from my home-church told me I used to hide behind religion sometimes and he was right... it was like a season of self-righteousness but God is really bringing the hammer down on me and making everything in my life fail until I get it right, and I'm so grateful for that.
Keep striving to be like Him WilliamBo none of us are worthy its all about HIM :angel:

e3054397ca4ab6acf246fffd4d37c7e7.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
while I can understand why "religion" has become a bad word in evangelical circles, it really shouldn't be.

every relationship has rules and boundaries. if we don't abide by these, it hurts the relationship.

Jesus did not say if you love me, be a nice, loving, and friendly person and give to the poor. He said if you love me you will follow my commandments.

why do so many find this so burdensome? I think that's the question people should ask themselves.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
while I can understand why "religion" has become a bad word in evangelical circles, it really shouldn't be.

every relationship has rules and boundaries. if we don't abide by these, it hurts the relationship.

Jesus did not say if you love me, be a nice, loving, and friendly person and give to the poor. He said if you love me you will follow my commandments.

why do so many find this so burdensome? I think that's the question people should ask themselves.

I agree.

Upvote 0

mikeforjesus

Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟570,944.00
Faith
Christian
It is true I have resentment but it seems you do too. While I need to know I may be doing wrong it is possible a religious person can be simply blind and wants to understand everything jesus said like the sacraments. Why should he go about assuring people of things he does not know especially if he does not feel a personal relationship with God yet outside the sacraments ?

Why the attack of religious people do you want to save them or show your contempt for their behaviour ?

They can not harm you if you are sure you are saved just by trusting in Christ

unless you yourself are not sure of that therefore you must take care of yourself to have assurance in Christ sacrifice as sufficient to purify and make a change in heart but you must admit you are only saved on your death bed if your faith does not produce works of God made the change in heart on death bed. So don't go about saying you are already saved

God can save you anyway without it being clear you are saved but that is up to His knowledge.

Forgive me dear Solomon Porch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The judging others by their appearance - true story. A pastor had asks a biker friend to speak one Sunday but their ushers wouldn't let him enter the sanctuary. Told him a real Christian wouldn't wear biker leather, etc but would look like they looked. He left the building and texted the pastor stating I'm just outside the main entrance. He never mentioned to him what had happened. But isn't that funny?

Posted: "I used to hide behind religion sometimes and he was right." Yep, But the grace of God, go I.

As far as our fruit inspector badges, it’s good if we remember our helmets have “love” imprinted on them. (Have to remind myself of this on some threads where there's a lot of criticism).

In regards to discerning of spirits, it's like all of the other manifestations of the gifts of The Spirit (I Cor 12), the information has to come from Yahweh or it's us - our discernment which we need but relying on Him is best, of course.

The religious spirit, as Solomon’s Porch has described, shows up because there are inner needs within that should have been met in Yahweh. Or put another way - things that we should have let Yahweh take care of within us so healing(s) would occur.

Actually that’s the way it works with all of our "shortcomings" (I John 2:16 such as Gal 5:19-21, Mark 7:20-23). In Matt 16, on one hand Yeshua is saying to Peter only My father could have revealed this to you and then in the next few verses Yeshua said to Peter get behind me satan.

The life lesson from these exchanges between Yeshua and Peter reveal that we don’t want to need driven but Spirit led.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep striving to be like Him WilliamBo none of us are worthy its all about HIM :angel:

Yea thanks I am striving. This is a good article about religious spirits, it's good to know what a religious spirit looks like in detail so we can watch out for it in ourselves

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally have ran across my fair share of this kind. Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse? What does a religious spirited person sound like? Is there any good fruit that comes from these? Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

The dogs that yelp the loudest are usually the ones who got hit. Expect the very kind of people that you are pointing out to criticize and find fault with your motives.

Upvote 0

dannheim

Honey Badger
Oct 10, 2014
Rancho Mirage CA
✟23,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally have ran across my fair share of this kind. Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse? What does a religious spirited person sound like? Is there any good fruit that comes from these? Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

1. You judge other people by their appearance.

God judges us by our heart, but man judges by outward appearance (1 Sam. 16:7). I have heard of many churches where young people have not felt welcome or have even been condemned by church leadership because they had a tattoo, a nose ring, or dressed a certain way. (In some legalistic churches men have to wear a suit and tie to attend church and ladies are not allowed to wear makeup and pants or cut their hair.) Although I believe mature believers should dress modestly, we especially need to allow visitors to come as they are and all believers should dress as they feel comfortable (with moderation). Legalistic churches that forbid folks to attend services because of their attire have exhibited one of the signs of having a religious spirit.

2. You try to earn God's love and salvation.

Since religion in this article refers to a man-made effort to please God—the motivation behind those efforts in this category has to do with following certain rules, or regulations regarding the outward man, in order to be in right standing with God. This is a clear violation of passages that teach us that we are saved by grace and not by our own works (Eph. 2:8-9).

3. You try to conform to outward holiness without inward transformation.

The Scriptures teach us that God is more concerned with cleansing the inward man (Ps. 51:6) than our outward conformity to rules and regulations. Those that only have a form of godliness without inward transformation deny His power (2 Tim. 3:5). Jesus strongly rebuked those who merely attempted to cleanse the outer man without allowing God to deal with the heart (Matt. 23). In my experience, I have observed that very religious people usually have sinful habit patterns that eventually manifest because they don't allow God to change their inner being. The more we attempt to follow God merely by the letter of the law—the more it will incite our sinful tendencies (Rom. 7:7-25).

4. You are always critical of other people's walks with God.

I have noticed that the more religious a person is, the more critical they are of other believers and ministers. Since they are so hard on themselves (religious people generally don't understand grace and walk in self-condemnation), they are also equally hard on other people.

5. Your closest Christian relationships are based only on ministry activities.

Religious people are not only superficial with God but with others as well. Since they attempt to connect with the "other" merely by activities, they are disengaged emotionally and do not know how to connect heart to heart with those they interface with. Church-related ministry or functions usually hold their friendships together.

6. You perform Christian duties but have no passion or hunger for God.

Religious people sustain their version of Christianity by performing ministry or church attendance. They do not have a deep relationship with God nor do they hunger and thirst for Him.

7. You desire position and honor in the church more than honor from God.

Those with a religious spirit hinge their life and identity upon their outward man. Hence, they are drawn to having recognition and titles in the church world. If they cannot legitimately get a ministerial title from their local church, they will hook up with an online course or other entity that will give them some kind of badge or card signifying they are a minister or chaplain.

8. Your identity is rooted in a lifestyle of Christianity instead of in Christ.

Mature Christ-followers receive their main identity in the fact they are "sons" of God, whereas religious people receive their main identity in the things they attempt to do for God and their church.

9. You know about the truth of Jesus but not the way of Jesus.

Religious people make a big deal about the doctrines they accumulate through head knowledge. They make the mistake of thinking that having good doctrine means they are mature believers. Just because we may know about God doesn't mean we commune with God and know Him experientially.

10. You project righteousness but inwardly are filled with anger and resentment.

Religious people know the entire Christian lingo, know how to act and project themselves in certain settings and use this "act" to gain influence in church circles. However, projecting ourselves to create a Christian persona will not last long. Those who depend upon this superficial personality projection are merely being religious and will not have the sustainability to deal with the hurt, pain, and disappointments of life. This results in a duality in which they appear righteous but inside are filled with anger, resentment, and envy.
*CharismaNews*
I think you are confusing the term religious with hypocrite

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeLeadethMe

Apr 27, 2017
Toronto
✟32,827.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, guys, n gals let me just speak from the heart right quick if that's alright. I got to get myself on a lawnmower and cut a few acres right quick. And again, I am speaking from my heart. There were 2 reasons that caused me to create this thread. One was the movie which I spoke of earlier and the second was a situation recently at a ministry I work in that caused me to see what others thought, I am in no way hurt or angry or offended, none at all. In fact, the reason was that it made me sad. Sad for others that are new in Christ that experience such awful judgments and cause them hurt and pain. Growing up I got into fights, yes I am a woman, BUT, here is my weakness and here are my reasons. Elderly, mentally challenged, slow learners, weaker timid people, animals, handicapped (all these types and more) or just people that are wounded, these are people that since I can remember I stood up for, those that were bullied in school or anywhere else. I watched strong healthy boys not even help out in situations such as this and so I always stepped in and stood up for the ones that couldn't stand up for themselves. I don't tolerate bullying or downsizing a person, nothing angers me more than this and I will take a blow any day for them, it takes a lot to knock me down. Let me give you 2 recent examples as to "why" this struck me.

I work with homeless people and drug addicts etc., her name is Nikki, she is in her 20's, it took ALOT for her to come to church with me, because she felt that others would judge her, I found her sleeping in a shed behind a restaurant living with a man that was a drunkard, he allowed her to sleep on his dirt floor and it was a disgusting place. One day at a women's meeting where I would go and minister to them and help counsel them, one of the girls pulled me aside and said "SP" she has bugs really bad we want her away from us, I noticed she was covered in sores and after checking her hair, she was so eaten up with lice I can't even begin to explain how bad it was, treatment after treatment, they would not die and kept eating at her hair and skin until she had manifested great sores and blisters. I eventually had to shave her head and she sat there and cried the whole time, kept saying SP I can't go to church with you looking like this, they will judge me. I reassured her that she will be fine and that nobody is gonna judge her. Boy was I wrong, as she sat in the pew with me a lady well known in the church and even knowing that Nikki was coming from such an environment had the nerve to tell her that God looked down upon her for shaving her head like that and that if she had read the Bible she would know what a woman was supposed to look like and do. Can you imagine how she felt? She never came back and the anger I felt I cannot describe. She cried the whole way back to the shelter and so did I inside for her.

Her name is Christine, she is in her 50's and has had a horrible life, survived a deadly car accident and has severe scarring not to mention the guilt she feels because she felt she let her family down. Much more to her story but she couldn't walk well due to her injuries. One day we were having a family day at church, it's where everyone comes together and has a meal. She was in a lot of pain this day and when I went to check on her, she said she couldn't fix her plate because she was hurting, could I please take her back to the shelter. So I went to the kitchen asked for a to-go plate and as I started out the door towards the food I was quickly reprimanded by a claiming chrisitan again, that if she wants to eat she can come fix it herself or else she can just starve. Christine heard this conversation and no she did not get a plate that day. Can you imagine?

I could go into much greater detail here but won't, and these 2 examples are just a small handful of examples I could share and NO its not from the same people or same church or denomination. My point is this, who are you to judge and criticize someone that you do not know? You have no idea what is going on in their life and many times these people that are pointing a finger are causing people that ARE WOUNDED to run back to the same evil they came from because we didn't welcome them and comfort them as Christ did for us, we don't know the shoes they are wearing and where those shoes have been. These 2 ladies had so much hurt already, why in the name of God would "christians" be so judgmental, throwing their rocks? Taking scripture out of context and applying it to a religious mindset, judging things based on what they "think" is happening. I'm sorry there is just no room for being so judgemental and causing others to stumble feeling like they are "less" than accepted into Christ's arms. It's sad that we don't see what Christ see's, it's sad that we think we have to do the Holy Spirits job of convicting sin, it's just sad that we think we have all the answers. I'm not hurt, I am sad, I am sad for many people who just can't see for the log in their own eye, looking into a mirror and forgetting what they look like.

I hear your heart slayer........Jesus turns no-one away......He came not for the righteous but the sinner, He came not for the healthy but for those who need a physician. Log in the eye, forgetting what we look like......this is echoed where it says take heed if you think you stand lest ye fall.......knowing our own frailties and how easily we can go astray and once did, that it is only but for the grace of God, is what helps us to be both humble and to care about others. I think you just pinpointed the spirit of religiosity right there in your last sentence, bang on the mark.

Ha! You go mow down some grass (flesh) there sister!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, guys, n gals let me just speak from the heart right quick if that's alright. I got to get myself on a lawnmower and cut a few acres right quick. And again, I am speaking from my heart. There were 2 reasons that caused me to create this thread. One was the movie which I spoke of earlier and the second was a situation recently at a ministry I work in that caused me to see what others thought, I am in no way hurt or angry or offended, none at all. In fact, the reason was that it made me sad. Sad for others that are new in Christ that experience such awful judgments and cause them hurt and pain. Growing up I got into fights, yes I am a woman, BUT, here is my weakness and here are my reasons. Elderly, mentally challenged, slow learners, weaker timid people, animals, handicapped (all these types and more) or just people that are wounded, these are people that since I can remember I stood up for, those that were bullied in school or anywhere else. I watched strong healthy boys not even help out in situations such as this and so I always stepped in and stood up for the ones that couldn't stand up for themselves. I don't tolerate bullying or downsizing a person, nothing angers me more than this and I will take a blow any day for them, it takes a lot to knock me down. Let me give you 2 recent examples as to "why" this struck me.

I work with homeless people and drug addicts etc., her name is Nikki, she is in her 20's, it took ALOT for her to come to church with me, because she felt that others would judge her, I found her sleeping in a shed behind a restaurant living with a man that was a drunkard, he allowed her to sleep on his dirt floor and it was a disgusting place. One day at a women's meeting where I would go and minister to them and help counsel them, one of the girls pulled me aside and said "SP" she has bugs really bad we want her away from us, I noticed she was covered in sores and after checking her hair, she was so eaten up with lice I can't even begin to explain how bad it was, treatment after treatment, they would not die and kept eating at her hair and skin until she had manifested great sores and blisters. I eventually had to shave her head and she sat there and cried the whole time, kept saying SP I can't go to church with you looking like this, they will judge me. I reassured her that she will be fine and that nobody is gonna judge her. Boy was I wrong, as she sat in the pew with me a lady well known in the church and even knowing that Nikki was coming from such an environment had the nerve to tell her that God looked down upon her for shaving her head like that and that if she had read the Bible she would know what a woman was supposed to look like and do. Can you imagine how she felt? She never came back and the anger I felt I cannot describe. She cried the whole way back to the shelter and so did I inside for her.

Her name is Christine, she is in her 50's and has had a horrible life, survived a deadly car accident and has severe scarring not to mention the guilt she feels because she felt she let her family down. Much more to her story but she couldn't walk well due to her injuries. One day we were having a family day at church, it's where everyone comes together and has a meal. She was in a lot of pain this day and when I went to check on her, she said she couldn't fix her plate because she was hurting, could I please take her back to the shelter. So I went to the kitchen asked for a to-go plate and as I started out the door towards the food I was quickly reprimanded by a claiming chrisitan again, that if she wants to eat she can come fix it herself or else she can just starve. Christine heard this conversation and no she did not get a plate that day. Can you imagine?

I could go into much greater detail here but won't, and these 2 examples are just a small handful of examples I could share and NO its not from the same people or same church or denomination. My point is this, who are you to judge and criticize someone that you do not know? You have no idea what is going on in their life and many times these people that are pointing a finger are causing people that ARE WOUNDED to run back to the same evil they came from because we didn't welcome them and comfort them as Christ did for us, we don't know the shoes they are wearing and where those shoes have been. These 2 ladies had so much hurt already, why in the name of God would "christians" be so judgmental, throwing their rocks? Taking scripture out of context and applying it to a religious mindset, judging things based on what they "think" is happening. I'm sorry there is just no room for being so judgemental and causing others to stumble feeling like they are "less" than accepted into Christ's arms. It's sad that we don't see what Christ see's, it's sad that we think we have to do the Holy Spirits job of convicting sin, it's just sad that we think we have all the answers. I'm not hurt, I am sad, I am sad for many people who just can't see for the log in their own eye, looking into a mirror and forgetting what they look like.

Wow this post just made me cry. Makes me want to go help struggling homeless people. I've been where that lady has been, maybe not as bad as having lice and I needed someone like you to talk to and show me Christ. It's funny my mom is the EXACT same way as you in terms of how she has always stood up to bullies for people who can't defend themselves, etc but she's an athiest, although she is slowly turning to God because of me. What you are doing is true religion, caring for widows and orphans (and the homeless) in their distress. I think you know that, thank you for your example

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sees Two on that boat
Me too my friend :)

Ha! You go mow down some grass (flesh) there sister!
Lol I know that's right, but it goes both ways in my case, mowing the grass for real here (battery died letting it charge up so that I can continue), BUT, we must always weed eat around our gardens and keep the grass low to see the enemy coming, Amen sister girl like that "mow the flesh" attitude, and may we do that daily to be more like HIM. :)

A true brother or sister will encourage you about your time with God and be encouraged themselves with your testimony and your zeal.
We should speak with His heart, We should see with His eyes, and hear with His ears. Many times I ask Him, Father what do you see, and what would you like me to see about this person, it's never my job to hurt, it's my job to love and encourage. The same way HE picked me up out of the dirt and wiped my tears away. The zeal for His house has consumed me and the fire in my bones is barely containable, but I will never take His place. He gets all glory, for without Him I would be nothing. Thanks Senkaku :)

she's an athiest
I am still praying for your family as you mentioned each one, their salvation is upon your heart. Keep them before the Lord WilliamBo, He hears you and HE will answer. :)

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, Alex DTX agree.

These spirits can manifest in both unsaved and saved. But as believers we can chose and rely on Yahweh to heal us.
Amen HE is the ONLY healer there is none other :oldthumbsup:

933447937f6d63cf23c7739755d64052.jpg

Soaking up the beauty of it all :)

• Agree
Reactions: SpiritofaDove
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
even when I stumble and is happy that I try so hard
He knows the intent of your heart and that's the greatest of all, we see outwardly, but HE see's inward, that makes for a great Judge and King, search me O God and know the intent of my heart, and HE does :heartpulse:

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've run into hundreds of the types you describe. When I was young and naive I tried to reason with them, not knowing (at the time) that you cannot reason a person out of beliefs and behaviors they did not use reason to arrive at. Now I have the blessed ability to ignore them. I no longer throw my pearls before swine.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟61,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

1. You judge other people by their appearance.

God judges us by our heart, but man judges by outward appearance (1 Sam. 16:7). I have heard of many churches where young people have not felt welcome or have even been condemned by church leadership because they had a tattoo, a nose ring, or dressed a certain way. (In some legalistic churches men have to wear a suit and tie to attend church and ladies are not allowed to wear makeup and pants or cut their hair.) Although I believe mature believers should dress modestly, we especially need to allow visitors to come as they are and all believers should dress as they feel comfortable (with moderation). Legalistic churches that forbid folks to attend services because of their attire have exhibited one of the signs of having a religious spirit.

2. You try to earn God's love and salvation.

Since religion in this article refers to a man-made effort to please God—the motivation behind those efforts in this category has to do with following certain rules, or regulations regarding the outward man, in order to be in right standing with God. This is a clear violation of passages that teach us that we are saved by grace and not by our own works (Eph. 2:8-9).

3. You try to conform to outward holiness without inward transformation.

The Scriptures teach us that God is more concerned with cleansing the inward man (Ps. 51:6) than our outward conformity to rules and regulations. Those that only have a form of godliness without inward transformation deny His power (2 Tim. 3:5). Jesus strongly rebuked those who merely attempted to cleanse the outer man without allowing God to deal with the heart (Matt. 23). In my experience, I have observed that very religious people usually have sinful habit patterns that eventually manifest because they don't allow God to change their inner being. The more we attempt to follow God merely by the letter of the law—the more it will incite our sinful tendencies (Rom. 7:7-25).

4. You are always critical of other people's walks with God.

I have noticed that the more religious a person is, the more critical they are of other believers and ministers. Since they are so hard on themselves (religious people generally don't understand grace and walk in self-condemnation), they are also equally hard on other people.

5. Your closest Christian relationships are based only on ministry activities.

Religious people are not only superficial with God but with others as well. Since they attempt to connect with the "other" merely by activities, they are disengaged emotionally and do not know how to connect heart to heart with those they interface with. Church-related ministry or functions usually hold their friendships together.

6. You perform Christian duties but have no passion or hunger for God.

Religious people sustain their version of Christianity by performing ministry or church attendance. They do not have a deep relationship with God nor do they hunger and thirst for Him.

7. You desire position and honor in the church more than honor from God.

Those with a religious spirit hinge their life and identity upon their outward man. Hence, they are drawn to having recognition and titles in the church world. If they cannot legitimately get a ministerial title from their local church, they will hook up with an online course or other entity that will give them some kind of badge or card signifying they are a minister or chaplain.

8. Your identity is rooted in a lifestyle of Christianity instead of in Christ.

Mature Christ-followers receive their main identity in the fact they are "sons" of God, whereas religious people receive their main identity in the things they attempt to do for God and their church.

9. You know about the truth of Jesus but not the way of Jesus.

Religious people make a big deal about the doctrines they accumulate through head knowledge. They make the mistake of thinking that having good doctrine means they are mature believers. Just because we may know about God doesn't mean we commune with God and know Him experientially.

10. You project righteousness but inwardly are filled with anger and resentment.

Religious people know the entire Christian lingo, know how to act and project themselves in certain settings and use this "act" to gain influence in church circles. However, projecting ourselves to create a Christian persona will not last long. Those who depend upon this superficial personality projection are merely being religious and will not have the sustainability to deal with the hurt, pain, and disappointments of life. This results in a duality in which they appear righteous but inside are filled with anger, resentment, and envy.
*CharismaNews*
You try to conform to outward holiness without inward transformation.
That's why I studied the bible 35 years, no one could give me the answers I needed, and now there's no point for me to ask anyone.
I believe love covers many sins, and that's enough, or a kind person benefits themselves.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers many sins.

Upvote 0

Senkaku

Shatter the Illusion
Aug 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
After all these years, I don't get what people mean by the lingo and I suspect it changes from person to person.

Is a 'religious spirit' supposed to be a demon that makes people feel superior and judgmental? Or is it supposed to be the individual's own spirit?

If it is the individual, why blame it on his or her own 'spirit' rather than their flesh? That sounds more like something that fits with the concept of 'flesh' in the Bible.

'Religion' isn't a bad term in our Bible translations. James talks about vain religion and 'pure religion' so religion can be a good thing. How evangelicals and especially some groups of Charismatics and third wavers have redefined the term just makes communication with everyone else confusing. We don't another word to substitute for the word 'religion' in the English language. 'Relationship' doesn't cut it. Islam is not a 'relationship' and neither is Buddhism.

Why don't you use say 'judgmental person' or 'person with a superior attitude' or 'a self righteous person'?

If you say 'religious spirit', it sounds weird, it confuses people, and anyone outside of the circles that use such terms just might be turned off because it sounds kooky.

It's a figure of speech that can refer to either a demonic spirit or the heart attitude of an individual. The clearest reference we have of what it looks like in practice would be the pharisees. To give another example out of Matthew 23, look at this

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also."

so they would clean the outside so that it looked good for service, but of course the inside is where the contents go. Jesus always was more concerned about what was going on the inside of an individual rather than outward. For example, just wearing nice conservative clothes doesn't make you holy, you could have a lustful spirit beyond measure, your clothes don't change that. you can have perfect church attendance and yet curse the pastor, your attendance doesn't change that. It's how Jesus could do things that seemed outwardly "bad" or "sinful" and yet he was blameless. A good example is the woman at the well. Why was Jesus alone with the woman at the well? isn't it wrong to be alone with someone of the opposite sex? For Jesus, his heart was clear, he wasn't there to take advantage of a situation, at least in a sinful sense, but rather, take advantage of the situation for the Kingdom's cause. Hope that helped, but I highly recommend reading through Matthew 23 for more understanding of what a religious attitude is like.

Upvote 0