East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally have ran across my fair share of this kind. Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse? What does a religious spirited person sound like? Is there any good fruit that comes from these? Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

1. You judge other people by their appearance.

God judges us by our heart, but man judges by outward appearance (1 Sam. 16:7). I have heard of many churches where young people have not felt welcome or have even been condemned by church leadership because they had a tattoo, a nose ring, or dressed a certain way. (In some legalistic churches men have to wear a suit and tie to attend church and ladies are not allowed to wear makeup and pants or cut their hair.) Although I believe mature believers should dress modestly, we especially need to allow visitors to come as they are and all believers should dress as they feel comfortable (with moderation). Legalistic churches that forbid folks to attend services because of their attire have exhibited one of the signs of having a religious spirit.

2. You try to earn God's love and salvation.

Since religion in this article refers to a man-made effort to please God—the motivation behind those efforts in this category has to do with following certain rules, or regulations regarding the outward man, in order to be in right standing with God. This is a clear violation of passages that teach us that we are saved by grace and not by our own works (Eph. 2:8-9).

3. You try to conform to outward holiness without inward transformation.

The Scriptures teach us that God is more concerned with cleansing the inward man (Ps. 51:6) than our outward conformity to rules and regulations. Those that only have a form of godliness without inward transformation deny His power (2 Tim. 3:5). Jesus strongly rebuked those who merely attempted to cleanse the outer man without allowing God to deal with the heart (Matt. 23). In my experience, I have observed that very religious people usually have sinful habit patterns that eventually manifest because they don't allow God to change their inner being. The more we attempt to follow God merely by the letter of the law—the more it will incite our sinful tendencies (Rom. 7:7-25).

4. You are always critical of other people's walks with God.

I have noticed that the more religious a person is, the more critical they are of other believers and ministers. Since they are so hard on themselves (religious people generally don't understand grace and walk in self-condemnation), they are also equally hard on other people.

5. Your closest Christian relationships are based only on ministry activities.

Religious people are not only superficial with God but with others as well. Since they attempt to connect with the "other" merely by activities, they are disengaged emotionally and do not know how to connect heart to heart with those they interface with. Church-related ministry or functions usually hold their friendships together.

6. You perform Christian duties but have no passion or hunger for God.

Religious people sustain their version of Christianity by performing ministry or church attendance. They do not have a deep relationship with God nor do they hunger and thirst for Him.

7. You desire position and honor in the church more than honor from God.

Those with a religious spirit hinge their life and identity upon their outward man. Hence, they are drawn to having recognition and titles in the church world. If they cannot legitimately get a ministerial title from their local church, they will hook up with an online course or other entity that will give them some kind of badge or card signifying they are a minister or chaplain.

8. Your identity is rooted in a lifestyle of Christianity instead of in Christ.

Mature Christ-followers receive their main identity in the fact they are "sons" of God, whereas religious people receive their main identity in the things they attempt to do for God and their church.

9. You know about the truth of Jesus but not the way of Jesus.

Religious people make a big deal about the doctrines they accumulate through head knowledge. They make the mistake of thinking that having good doctrine means they are mature believers. Just because we may know about God doesn't mean we commune with God and know Him experientially.

10. You project righteousness but inwardly are filled with anger and resentment.

Religious people know the entire Christian lingo, know how to act and project themselves in certain settings and use this "act" to gain influence in church circles. However, projecting ourselves to create a Christian persona will not last long. Those who depend upon this superficial personality projection are merely being religious and will not have the sustainability to deal with the hurt, pain, and disappointments of life. This results in a duality in which they appear righteous but inside are filled with anger, resentment, and envy.
*CharismaNews*

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I personally have ran across my fair share of this kind. Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse? What does a religious spirited person sound like? Is there any good fruit that comes from these? Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

God judges us by our heart, but man judges by outward appearance (1 Sam. 16:7). I have heard of many churches where young people have not felt welcome or have even been condemned by church leadership because they had a tattoo, a nose ring, or dressed a certain way. (In some legalistic churches men have to wear a suit and tie to attend church and ladies are not allowed to wear makeup and pants or cut their hair.) Although I believe mature believers should dress modestly, we especially need to allow visitors to come as they are and all believers should dress as they feel comfortable (with moderation). Legalistic churches that forbid folks to attend services because of their attire have exhibited one of the signs of having a religious spirit.

Since religion in this article refers to a man-made effort to please God—the motivation behind those efforts in this category has to do with following certain rules, or regulations regarding the outward man, in order to be in right standing with God. This is a clear violation of passages that teach us that we are saved by grace and not by our own works (Eph. 2:8-9).

The Scriptures teach us that God is more concerned with cleansing the inward man (Ps. 51:6) than our outward conformity to rules and regulations. Those that only have a form of godliness without inward transformation deny His power (2 Tim. 3:5). Jesus strongly rebuked those who merely attempted to cleanse the outer man without allowing God to deal with the heart (Matt. 23). In my experience, I have observed that very religious people usually have sinful habit patterns that eventually manifest because they don't allow God to change their inner being. The more we attempt to follow God merely by the letter of the law—the more it will incite our sinful tendencies (Rom. 7:7-25).

I have noticed that the more religious a person is, the more critical they are of other believers and ministers. Since they are so hard on themselves (religious people generally don't understand grace and walk in self-condemnation), they are also equally hard on other people.

Religious people are not only superficial with God but with others as well. Since they attempt to connect with the "other" merely by activities, they are disengaged emotionally and do not know how to connect heart to heart with those they interface with. Church-related ministry or functions usually hold their friendships together.

Religious people sustain their version of Christianity by performing ministry or church attendance. They do not have a deep relationship with God nor do they hunger and thirst for Him.

Those with a religious spirit hinge their life and identity upon their outward man. Hence, they are drawn to having recognition and titles in the church world. If they cannot legitimately get a ministerial title from their local church, they will hook up with an online course or other entity that will give them some kind of badge or card signifying they are a minister or chaplain.

Mature Christ-followers receive their main identity in the fact they are "sons" of God, whereas religious people receive their main identity in the things they attempt to do for God and their church.

Religious people make a big deal about the doctrines they accumulate through head knowledge. They make the mistake of thinking that having good doctrine means they are mature believers. Just because we may know about God doesn't mean we commune with God and know Him experientially.

10. You project righteousness but inwardly are filled with anger and resentment.

Religious people know the entire Christian lingo, know how to act and project themselves in certain settings and use this "act" to gain influence in church circles. However, projecting ourselves to create a Christian persona will not last long. Those who depend upon this superficial personality projection are merely being religious and will not have the sustainability to deal with the hurt, pain, and disappointments of life. This results in a duality in which they appear righteous but inside are filled with anger, resentment, and envy.
*CharismaNews*

religion [ri-lij-uh n]
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

There is absolutely nothing about the definition of "religion" that implies a stance on any of the doctrines listed. I am part of a religion that teaches not to judge by outward appearances, about salvation by faith, about the importance of having a relationship with God, etc., so those things are also part of having a religious spirit. This article is tearing down the word "religion" for no good reason.

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

*CharismaNews*

So, can these individuals be found in all Christian churches of any brand, whether they be denominational or even non-denominational? Just wondering.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are self-righteous about not being self-righteous, doing the same thing that you accuse all of the people you have insulted in your OP, just with tats.

This is all a bit over my head, but isn't the OP trying to start a discussion on the "spirit" of what people generally identify as the religious person that is not saved?

Or a saved person oppressed by the "Spirit" of religion.

Isn't the "Spirit" in question not the person.

E.g. Have you ran into people with the "Spirit" of "XYZ"

You can determine the Spirit of XYZ by it's fruits (heart, mind then action)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This is all a bit over my head, but isn't the OP trying to start a discussion on the "spirit" of what people generally identify as the religious person that is not saved?

It reads like it's a treatise on hypocrites? Possibly seeking "advice", since it's in the Christian Advice Forum?

Let it rain.

hebrews-4-12.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

*CharismaNews*
SPLENDID! The key, of course, is that bonafide Christianity is NOT a religion! Remove religion and one is embraced in God's Amazing Grace!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

You can determine the Spirit of XYZ by it's fruits (heart, mind then action)

You got that right. That's why it is a GOOD thing to pray for and encourage our brothers and sisters in Christ, amen?

The living and one True God, El Elyon, is a GOOD God, isn't He, and worthy to be praised, amen?

Let it rain.

f047e7c2099b32fa79ba9f767daaa928--worship-images-warrior-women.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It reads like it's a treatise on hypocrites? Possibly seeking "advice", since it's in the Christian Advice Forum?

These are questions to start a discussion.

1)Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse?
2)What does a religious spirited person sound like?
3)Is there any good fruit that comes from these?
4)Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

The rest of OP is e.g. of fruits of the "Spirit" in OP's understanding with their walk in Jesus, IMO.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
SPLENDID! The key, of course, is that bonafide Christianity is NOT a religion! Remove religion and one is embraced in God's Amazing Grace!

:amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
These are questions to start a discussion.

1)Have you and how did it change/affect you, did it change you for the better or the worse?
2)What does a religious spirited person sound like?
3)Is there any good fruit that comes from these?
4)Do they tear up more than they build one up (as long as it is fitting to them and their opinions and beliefs)?

The rest of OP is e.g. of fruits of the "Spirit" in OP's understanding with their walk in Jesus, IMO.

Thanks for your effort to clear up the confusion.....just wondering why it's in the Christian Advice forum?

Let it rain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@I'm_Sorry
I was actually watching a movie and was reminded of how people will follow you to find anything wrong with you, to point it out and to tear someone down more than build them up as if they are challenging everything about you without any good reason. I think the character was Nicodemus (not sure atm). As I sat watching the movie I just was thinking to myself how you have Jesus doing all these wonderful things, healing people, speaking love and not hate or judgment, and you have this man following him around just to point him out. Thus the reason of "how" others have come across such people and how it affected them in their walk with Christ and what did they do about it? How did they handle such persons? It's like they look past the 99% of what is good about you just to point out the 1% of bad. Thanks for understanding my question. If the Mods would like to move this, I welcome them to do so :)

Reactions: humblesoldier
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Praise God for His inexplicable and amazing grace!!!!

Amen!!!!

May His joy be like armor against anything that is not of Him.

Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen.

Let it rain.

gifts_5.jpg

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The OP seems to be talking about self-righteous hypocrisy, not religiosity. Sure, there are very religious looking people or people who think themselves very religious and act smug, arrogant, and self-righteous. But that isn't religiosity itself; and there are quite a few self-righteous, smug, and arrogant sorts who also are among those who say, "I'm not religious, I have a relationship with Jesus"; my personal experience has led me to encounter far more of this among the "not religious, but a relationship" sorts than those who openly recognize their faith as a religious faith.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the other hand, you have some people that put on a super sanctified, holy, religious front for one reason or another. And I may sound cynical or crazy for saying this, but I think there are more frauds out there that use religion as a tool then sincere God fearing Christians in most churches. And I could possibly be wrong, God knows peoples hearts though.

I personally believe that most people that act OVERLY RELIGIOUS, are using the faith as a way to gain power over others

What this guy is doing, is pretending to be a Christian, a pastor at that, and attempting to hide his evil side by putting up a super religious front. A true wolf in sheeps clothing

they had no discernment

Thank you for sharing and I agree with you "especially" along the lines of persons putting on a face of one thing and being another. Discernment is KEY. No worries about the double post happens to all of us.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I did not read all the comments................ but I would like to leave my intake on a religious spirited person. From my experience people come to the faith, or supposedly come to the faith for all types of reasons. You have the person that genuinely and sincerely got saved for one reason or another. I personally don't see a sincere Christian having an overly religious spirit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel from my life experience that a sincere follower of Christ, simply wont be showing off because there relationship with the Lord is what matters most to them, more than pleasing man. On the other hand, you have some people that put on a super sanctified, holy, religious front for one reason or another. And I may sound cynical or crazy for saying this, but I think there are more frauds out there that use religion as a tool then sincere God fearing Christians in most churches. And I could possibly be wrong, God knows peoples hearts though.
I personally believe that most people that act OVERLY RELIGIOUS, are using the faith as a way to gain power over others. Or see church as a social function where they can gain the praises of man. Notice that the scriptures speak against this. The NT for example, tells us not to say long drawn out prayers like the Pharisees do, for they love the greetings in the market place and high seats. My personal belief is that when you have a relationship with Christ, you are trying to please the Lord. When you become religious you are focused on pleasing man. That doesn't always make someone a bad person. But I have seen some pretty detestable RELIGIOUS people in my day. At the extreme level a RELIGIOUS person will be a very evil dark person on the inside, using religion as a front to hide their true nature. A modern day Pharisee.
Let me give an example. I used to work a job with a guy that was extremely jealous of me. Out of all the evil people I have ever met, he may be one of, if not the most evil people I have ever met that is not completely sociopathic. He would grit his teeth, slander and tell lies about me, try in any way possible to make me look bad, and it was quite pathetic. In the midst of all this he is acting all holy and religious on his facebook page. Saying things like preaching aint easy but somebodies got to do it. Fastforward to today. Hes got a degree from theological seminary and he is now a preacher. This is an example of the extreme. What this guy is doing, is pretending to be a Christian, a pastor at that, and attempting to hide his evil side by putting up a super religious front. A true wolf in sheeps clothing. And then people wonder why their pastor get exposed as pedophiles. They thought he was such a man of God, because they had no discernment and they believe whatever fake image people display to them. And I believe there are more people like this than we realize. Heck some might even be on here. hehe. Hope not.
I've always been suspicious of those who act all super religious. Its ok to be on fire for the Lord but there is a difference. There is an old saying that those who talk it don't walk it, and those who walk it don't talk it. Maybe this isn't true in all cases, but in most instances I think it is. Now I'm not saying don't share the gospel. All I'm saying is what is already said in the NT scriptures. Do not be a show off like the Pharisees. And there are many modern day Pharisees in the world today. Remember, the Pharisees were actually the church people in Jesus's day.

You raised some valid points.

David Wilkerson seems to agree with some of the points you raised.

Reactions: fliperacci901
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@I'm_Sorry
I was actually watching a movie and was reminded of how people will follow you to find anything wrong with you, to point it out and to tear someone down more than build them up as if they are challenging everything about you without any good reason. I think the character was Nicodemus (not sure atm). As I sat watching the movie I just was thinking to myself how you have Jesus doing all these wonderful things, healing people, speaking love and not hate or judgment, and you have this man following him around just to point him out. Thus the reason of "how" others have come across such people and how it affected them in their walk with Christ and what did they do about it? How did they handle such persons? It's like they look past the 99% of what is good about you just to point out the 1% of bad. Thanks for understanding my question. If the Mods would like to move this, I welcome them to do so :)

Yep, good points, Solomon's Porch! :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
So, can these individuals be found in all Christian churches of any brand, whether they be denominational or even non-denominational? Just wondering.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

They are not rare in many churches. I have not met any in my Lutheran church, though. Probably because flamboyant piety and enthusiasm is often treated with suspicion among Lutherans.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@I'm_Sorry

Your words, remind me of how where I work, was once described. It is like a man that was sent to an apple field to collect apples. He knew that he would be there most of the day so he worked steady, but not to fast so that he could finish the day. At the end of the day he had picked a hundred apples so he brought the basket full of apples to the inspector. The inspector reached in the basket and picked out a apple that had a worm in it. It was rotten. The inspector then then started to scold the man for the one apple that was rotten but overlooked the other 99. You see, this truly comes from darkness. What I have learned, the hard way, is not to care what people say or think of me, but only care what The Lord thinks of what I do or say. When we are truly led by Him he will tell us the truth about any matter. Being wise as a serpent and innocent as a dove is how we should handle these types.

Upvote 0