United Kingdom
✟17,045.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi! I am an Anglican in the UK (attending my local Church of England church), but I also follow Reformed Theology. This is rare, sadly, in the Anglican church within the UK, but I wondered (following on from a thread about this I posted in the Anglican forum), whether many Anglicans outside the UK are also Reformed?

Thanks! :)

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi! I am an Anglican in the UK (attending my local Church of England church), but I also follow Reformed Theology. This is rare, sadly, in the Anglican church within the UK, but I wondered (following on from a thread about this I posted in the Anglican forum), whether many Anglicans outside the UK are also Reformed?

Thanks! :)

Hello.

Reformed here too and I attend an Anglican Church(Church of England).

There's a lot I don't agree with theologically within the Church itself and its organisation, but the church I attend is pretty theologically neutral and preaches the Word without any denominational 'bias', if you will.

It's difficult finding a good church nowadays.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
When my insomnia is acting up I will often stay awake all Saturday night and attend a Book of Common Prayer service on the Lord's Day morning because it is at 8 and 8:30 (depending on which Anglican church I attend). As long as the service is BCP I don't have a problem with it. It's the Alternative Services book and the more creative services later in the morning that tend to stray far from Reformed theology.

I honestly don't know where you would find a Reformed Anglican church or communion. Many of the more Protestant Anglicans are also charismatic.

Try:

Reformed Anglican Fellowship

The Reformed Episcopal Church

Editors' note: At the 2015 National Conference, TGC will be hosting a workshop on Anglicanism, “The Anglican Book of Common Prayer: What Relevance Does It Have to Today’s Contemporary Worship?” and a focus gathering, “The Resurgence of Reformation Anglicanism.” Both sessions will be led by John Yates III and John Yates II.

20371-004-720D877F_323_300_90.jpg

1. Since the arrival of Christianity in Britain in the 3rd century, British Christianity has had a distinct flavor and independence of spirit, and was frequently in tension with Roman Catholicism. The Britons were evangelized by Irish missionary monks, and it wasn’t until the 7th century that the Roman church established its authority over Christianity in the British Isles, at the Synod of Whitby. But tensions continued until the 16th century.
2. The break with Rome in the 16th century had political causes, but also saw the emergence of an evangelical theology. The Church of England was not just a church of protest against the pope’s authority and his interference in English affairs. It was also a church that adopted a distinctly evangelical theology. The English Reformation cannot be reduced to the marital strife of Henry VIII.

3. Anglicanism is Reformed. The theology of the founding documents of the Anglican church—the Book of Homilies, the Book of Common Prayer, and the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion—expresses a theology in keeping with the Reformed theology of the Swiss and South German Reformation. It is neither Lutheran, nor simply Calvinist, though it resonates with many of Calvin’s thoughts.

4. Scripture is the supreme authority in Anglicanism. Article VI, “Of the sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures for Salvation,” puts it this way:

Holy Scriptures containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation.

In Anglicanism, Scripture alone is supreme as the saving Word of God. Reason and tradition play an auxiliary role. This was the view of divines like Thomas Cranmer and Richard Hooker. There is a popular myth that Anglicanism views reason, tradition, and Scripture as a three-legged stool of authorities, but it is quite false.

5. Justification by faith alone is at the heart of Anglican soteriology. In its liturgy, its view of the sacraments, in its founding documents, and in the mind of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, the Church of England holds that works do not save and cannot save a person. Only the blood of Jesus Christ is effective to save.

6. In Anglican thought, the sacraments are “effectual signs” received by faith. For Anglicans, the sacraments—the Lord’s Supper and baptism—do not convey grace in an automatic sense, or by a grace adhering to the objects used in them.

7. The Anglican liturgy—best encapsulated in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer—is designed to soak the congregation in the Scriptures, and to remind them of the priority of grace in the Christian life. There is grace on every page—it is not only the heart of Anglican theology, it is the heart of Anglican spirituality.

8. Anglicanism is a missionary faith, and has sponsored global missions since the 18th century. The sending and funding of missionaries to the far reaches of the globe to preach the gospel has been a constant feature of Anglican life, although this has happened through the various voluntary mission agencies as much as through official channels.

9. Global Anglicanism is more African and Asian than it is English and American. The center of contemporary Anglicanism is found in places like Nigeria, Uganda, and Kenya. In these places there are burgeoning Anglican churches, and a great deal of evangelism and church planting. There are strong Anglican churches too in Asia and elsewhere. Noticeably, where liberal theology has become dominant in Anglicanism—mainly in the “first world”—Anglicanism is rapidly shrinking, and is possibly only a generation from its demise.

Michael P. Jensen is the author of Sydney Anglicanism: An Apology and (with Tom Frame) Defining Convictions and Decisive Commitments–The Thirty-Nine Articles in Contemporary Anglicanism. He is the rector of St Mark’s Anglican Church, Darling Point, in Sydney, Australia.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Anglicans online have a list of 'not in communion' churches. When you read their statements of faith you find a lean toward Charismatic teaching.

Jimmyjimmy agreed with me when he wrote, "That is what I've found, which prevents me from attending."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anglicans online have a list of 'not in communion' churches. When you read their statements of faith you find a lean toward Charismatic teaching.

It's a list of churches that the editors of Anglicans Online consider similar to the Anglican Communion churches.

Some of those listed are other Anglican churches. Many are paper churches, i.e. 'one-man bands.' Others are defunct.

But many are not Anglican at all. You may be thinking of these latter ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's a list of churches that the editors of Anglicans Online consider similar to the Anglican Communion churches.

Some of those listed are other Anglican churches. Many are paper churches, i.e. 'one-man bands.' Others are defunct.

But many are not Anglican at all. You may be thinking of these latter ones.
Do modern Anglicans generally hold to a strict adherence to the 39 Articles (particularly Articles 9 through 18)?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟744,889.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Never. The 39 Articles are considered an odd moment in Anglican history. This is exactly what I was taught when studying to be a layreader within the Anglican Church of Canada.

Before I met with the Bishop I left the Anglican Church, they were promoting the Jesus Seminary and Bishop Spong's views on human sexuality.

Now...they have a women Bishop lol

• Informative
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do modern Anglicans generally hold to a strict adherence to the 39 Articles (particularly Articles 9 through 18)?
Some do and some don't, so it's hard to answer with precision. Much of the discussion among Anglicans concerning the Articles seems to me to be about them as something normative or not, rather than about specifics in them. As for Articles 9-18, I'd say that 13 and 14 are among the Articles that had more importance during the Reformation and 17 is widely misunderstood, but otherwise, I'd say that there is acceptance by most Anglicans.

I might note also that your inquiry was about 'Anglicans,' not the two provinces of the Anglican Communion in North America or the CofE exclusively, but many readers here will have them in mind automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In Australia, Anglican clergy are still required to assent to the Articles under oath, and to conform our teaching and preaching to them. (In theory; in practice I am not aware of any clergyperson being disciplined for not so conforming their teaching, but that is the intent).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums