A reflection on democracy and the common good.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
By Rowan Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury (and also, by dint of that role, also formerly a member of England's House of Lords, its upper house of Parliament).

It seemed to me to be saying something important about how we think about our politics, and I thought it was worth sharing here: Brexit shows Britain is no longer able to imagine a “common good”

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The hate and judgment on man kind is spreading in the whole world
Knowledge has been increased
there are rumors of wars
there are earth quakes in diverse places that are more frequent
For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Everything said by Jesus is happening now.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
More than at any other time in history?

I guess I don't see today as particularly remarkable, or different from any other time the Church has already been through.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Really? I didn't get that, but then that's not the way he handled being the Archbishop of Canterbury in general, so I guess my other knowledge of him colours how I read this.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
More than at any other time in history?

I guess I don't see today as particularly remarkable, or different from any other time the Church has already been through.

Well, one hundred years ago there was hardly any wars and hardly any rumors of wars.
Now its on a daily basis we get rumors and actual wars, more then ever.

one hundred years ago knowledge was still limited, no computers, cell phones, internet, micro chips, airplanes, cars, heat, hot water, refrigerators, -I can go on and on on this very subject.

one hundred years ago there was no record of false Christs pretending to be Jesus.

one hundred years ago People loved each other, had respect for each other and forgave each other, If you read old books, you will read how people helped one another and loved each other.

One hundred years ago It was a whole different world, did we have wars? yes, through out all history, but nothing like today.

And the last but not least

Micro chips make it a very real possibility for the mark of its self, the second beast.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, one hundred years ago there was hardly any wars and hardly any rumors of wars.

A hundred years ago, WWI had just ended and there were ongoing conflicts in multiple places as a direct consequence of the worst war that had occurred in human history at that point. Turkish war of Independance, Russian Civil War, the Uprising in India, Warlords fighting in China, etc.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
there are rumors of wars
For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

I agree though. I think the argument for the end-times is strong. I just have this nagging fear that each age thinks this. Maybe the world just keeps getting worse, and we all think: "OK, the Parousia has got to happen now. Just look at the world!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
By Rowan Williams, former Archbishop of Canterbury (and also, by dint of that role, also formerly a member of England's House of Lords, its upper house of Parliament).

It seemed to me to be saying something important about how we think about our politics, and I thought it was worth sharing here: Brexit shows Britain is no longer able to imagine a “common good”
He makes good points. The problem here is that we have decided that a Tyranny by the Majority is acceptable. Just because 51% want something, is it fair to force the 49% who don't to comply? Let us say 90% wanted to take all the property of 10%, would that be fair? Certainly it would be 'Democratic' as we understand the term, but Democratic does not necessarily mean right or good. Often the right decision is very unpopular and has to be forced through, like Austerity measures in Greece, for instance. The system is never perfect, and people fall before short-sighted goals or Tragedy of the Commons things very easily. We have to learn to work together for the common good, why Republics used to be called Commonwealths in English, or the entire system devolves into name-calling and each side penalising or punishing the other whenever they have a slim majority.

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I agree though. I think the argument for the end-times is strong. I just have this nagging fear that each age thinks this. Maybe the world just keeps getting worse, and we all think: "OK, the Parousia has got to happen now. Just look at the world!"

Yes, but we must always be ready, Just as Jesus said many times, I come soon and he tell us to discern the times and he said we will know the times and this is the reason he gave us all the information to know what time we live in.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
A hundred years ago, WWI had just ended and there were ongoing conflicts in multiple places as a direct consequence of the worst war that had occurred in human history at that point. Turkish war of Independance, Russian Civil War, the Uprising in India, Warlords fighting in China, etc.

Nothing compared to all the wars we hear every day now? yes?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The article was a good read.

The first instance of democracy that I noticed in the Old testament was when the 10 tribes split off from the 2 tribes. The saying "if you answer favourably, we will serve you forever" is a keystone to democratic rule. The way Brexit being handled is kind of like waiting some generations before bringing out the scorpions tail to whip the populace.

so it would make sense if a common good was no longer in the mind set. Common good and other social common group thinks tend to be based on a common standard of living.

Once the standard of living drops, it's like the politicians have no real purpose anymore, and the people need a new government.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are rumors of wars

of course your correct...
In no time of church history was homosexuality openly accepted as allowable sin ... But you will see thier false unity churches will make love to the world untill they say ..peace peace. And sudden destruction will fall on them .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now its on a daily basis we get rumors and actual wars, more then ever.

one hundred years ago knowledge was still limited, no computers, cell phones, internet, micro chips, airplanes, cars, heat, hot water, refrigerators, -I can go on and on on this very subject.

one hundred years ago there was no record of false Christs pretending to be Jesus.

one hundred years ago People loved each other, had respect for each other and forgave each other, If you read old books, you will read how people helped one another and loved each other.

One hundred years ago It was a whole different world, did we have wars? yes, through out all history, but nothing like today.

And the last but not least

Micro chips make it a very real possibility for the mark of its self, the second beast.

What an idealized historically illiterate view.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nothing compared to all the wars we hear every day now? yes?
No.

The world has gotten less violent not more. I’m sorry that runs counter to your narrative.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
What an idealized historically illiterate view.

No.

The world has gotten less violent not more. I’m sorry that runs counter to your narrative.

Ok, lets see how tolerant we are.

Algeria 4

Army
  • al-Qaeda Organization in the Maghreb (AQIM) or al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) or since 2005 (known in the past as Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC) since 2003)
  • Islamic Salvation Front (Fis)
  • Jamat Tawhid Wal Jihad Fi Garbi Afriqqiya (Movement for Monotheism and Jihad in West Africa) group has broken away since December 2011
  • Jund al-Khilifa or Jund al-khilafah or Jund-al-Khilafa or Jund al-Khalifa or Soldiers of the Caliphate in Algeria or Caliphate Soldiers of Algeria (new armed group split from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and joined to Islamic State (IS) since September 14 2014)

Angola 2

Army5
  • Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda - Military Position (FLEC-PM) secessionist movement from 1975
  • Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda - Armed Forces of Cabinda (Flec-Fac)

Burkina Faso 1

Army
  • Ansarul Islam (linked to al-Qaeda)

Burundi 1

Army
  • Republican Forces of Burundi or Forebu (since December 2015)

Central African Republic 12 (signed peace agreement with 10 armed groups in May 10 2015)

Army
  • Seleka (coalition of 5 muslim rebel groups) (has overthrown government and seized power in March 2013, signed ceasefire April 2015):
    • Convention of Patriots for Justice and Peace (CPJP)
    • Patriotic Convention for Saving the Country (CPSK) or Convention of Patriots of Salvation and Kodro (CPSK)
    • Union of Democratic Forces for Unity (UFDR)
    • Democratic Front of the Central African People (FDPC) or Democratic Front for the People of the Central African Republic (FDPC) or Democratic Forces for the People of Central Africa (FDPC)
    • Alliance for Revival and Rebuilding (A2R)
  • Movement of Central African Liberators for Justice (MLCJ)
  • Anti-balaka militias (christians against Seleka) (signed ceasefire April 2015)
  • Peul militias
  • Revolution-Justice
  • Fulani Union for Peace in the Central African Republic (UPC)
  • Popular Front for the Renaissance in the Central African Republic (FPRC)

Chad 2

Army
  • Union of Resistance Forces (URF)
  • Military Command Council for the Salvation of the Republic (CCMSR) since 2014 (Active in south Libia)

Cameroon 7

Army
  • Boko Haram (islamic sect) attacks from Nigeria since 2014
  • Governing Council of Ambazonia (GCA) (separatist movement)
  • Ambazonia Self-Defence Council (ASDC) or Ambazonia Restoration Forces (ARF)
  • Seven Karta (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Red Dragons (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Tigers (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Ambazonia Defence Forces (ADF) or Ambazonian Defence Forces (ADF) (Ambazonia separatist movement)

• Army
  • United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan or Northern Alliance (recreated in July 2015 by ex 3 war lords)
  • International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) (49 countries)
    • Albania
    • Armenia
    • Australia
    • Austria
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • El Salvador
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Georgia
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Luxemburg
    • Macedonia
    • Malaysia
    • Mongolia
    • Montenegro
    • Netherlands
    • New Zeland
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Singapore
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Tonga
    • Turkey
    • Ukraine
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United Kingdom
    • United States

• (Talibans signed ceasefire agreement on June 2013, then brokered)

• I cut out most of it, it would not allow me to post more then 1800 characters.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok, lets see how tolerant we are.

Algeria 4

Army
  • al-Qaeda Organization in the Maghreb (AQIM) or al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) or since 2005 (known in the past as Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC) since 2003)
  • Islamic Salvation Front (Fis)
  • Jamat Tawhid Wal Jihad Fi Garbi Afriqqiya (Movement for Monotheism and Jihad in West Africa) group has broken away since December 2011
  • Jund al-Khilifa or Jund al-khilafah or Jund-al-Khilafa or Jund al-Khalifa or Soldiers of the Caliphate in Algeria or Caliphate Soldiers of Algeria (new armed group split from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and joined to Islamic State (IS) since September 14 2014)

Angola 2

Army5
  • Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda - Military Position (FLEC-PM) secessionist movement from 1975
  • Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda - Armed Forces of Cabinda (Flec-Fac)

Burkina Faso 1

Army
  • Ansarul Islam (linked to al-Qaeda)

Burundi 1

Army
  • Republican Forces of Burundi or Forebu (since December 2015)

Central African Republic 12 (signed peace agreement with 10 armed groups in May 10 2015)

Army
  • Seleka (coalition of 5 muslim rebel groups) (has overthrown government and seized power in March 2013, signed ceasefire April 2015):
    • Convention of Patriots for Justice and Peace (CPJP)
    • Patriotic Convention for Saving the Country (CPSK) or Convention of Patriots of Salvation and Kodro (CPSK)
    • Union of Democratic Forces for Unity (UFDR)
    • Democratic Front of the Central African People (FDPC) or Democratic Front for the People of the Central African Republic (FDPC) or Democratic Forces for the People of Central Africa (FDPC)
    • Alliance for Revival and Rebuilding (A2R)
  • Movement of Central African Liberators for Justice (MLCJ)
  • Anti-balaka militias (christians against Seleka) (signed ceasefire April 2015)
  • Peul militias
  • Revolution-Justice
  • Fulani Union for Peace in the Central African Republic (UPC)
  • Popular Front for the Renaissance in the Central African Republic (FPRC)

Chad 2

Army
  • Union of Resistance Forces (URF)
  • Military Command Council for the Salvation of the Republic (CCMSR) since 2014 (Active in south Libia)

Cameroon 7

Army
  • Boko Haram (islamic sect) attacks from Nigeria since 2014
  • Governing Council of Ambazonia (GCA) (separatist movement)
  • Ambazonia Self-Defence Council (ASDC) or Ambazonia Restoration Forces (ARF)
  • Seven Karta (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Red Dragons (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Tigers (Ambazonia separatist movement)
  • Ambazonia Defence Forces (ADF) or Ambazonian Defence Forces (ADF) (Ambazonia separatist movement)

• Army
  • United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan or Northern Alliance (recreated in July 2015 by ex 3 war lords)
  • International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) (49 countries)
    • Albania
    • Armenia
    • Australia
    • Austria
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Belgium
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Canada
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • El Salvador
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Georgia
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Luxemburg
    • Macedonia
    • Malaysia
    • Mongolia
    • Montenegro
    • Netherlands
    • New Zeland
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Singapore
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Tonga
    • Turkey
    • Ukraine
    • United Arab Emirates
    • United Kingdom
    • United States

• (Talibans signed ceasefire agreement on June 2013, then brokered)
What was your point in posting that?

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
No.

There are more wars now then ever, thousands of wars all over the world, that's no less violet.

Upvote 0