A Recent Rock N Roll Artist Converts from Pentecostal to EO.

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Read about the band's Bio here: Holy Name | Facedown Records

The band calls themselves "Violent Worship." The singer from the band was in a prior Hardcore band called "Sleeping Giant" which is one of my favorites. Now, the new band is "Holy Name". There is a lot of Orthodox imagery in the art for this band's debut full-length self-titled album. I love it!

Here's an example of their music from the latest album:

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The nice thing about Holy Orthodoxy is people can engage in such artistic expressions, while our liturgical music is, and I should hope always remains, unaffected. For example, the orchestral fugue and concert music on religious themes composed by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, which unlike his work with Znamenny Chant is not intended for liturgical consumption.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The nice thing about Holy Orthodoxy is people can engage in such artistic expressions, while our liturgical music is, and I should hope always remains, unaffected. For example, the orchestral fugue and concert music on religious themes composed by Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, which unlike his work with Znamenny Chant is not intended for liturgical consumption.
Fr Justin Matthews says the same thing about his folk sounding music. very Orthodox, but belongs on a car ride not the Liturgy.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Read about the band's Bio here: Holy Name | Facedown Records

The band calls themselves "Violent Worship." The singer from the band was in a prior Hardcore band called "Sleeping Giant" which is one of my favorites. Now, the new band is "Holy Name". There is a lot of Orthodox imagery in the art for this band's debut full-length self-titled album. I love it!

Here's an example of their music from the latest album:

Thanks for posting. Adding to playlist. These two are the only other American Orthodox metal bands I know of:

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting. Adding to playlist. These two are the only other American Orthodox metal bands I know of:

NO

THANKS!

NO. JUST . . . . . . . NO!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THAT is not music. That is NOISE!!!

THIS

is music!
Indeed that is beautiful! I view the videos up there as still being music and good too and it's okay if others don't like it. As Army Matt or another mentioned it's not being used in a liturgical manner at all. Just people trying to make music for a living.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed that is beautiful! I view the videos up there as still being music and good too and it's okay if others don't like it. As Army Matt or another mentioned it's not being used in a liturgical manner at all. Just people trying to make music for a living.

Not to be a grouchy old man . . . I like old time Rock N Roll, Blues, Classical, Southern Gospel, Tejano, etc. But Grunge and Heavy Metal turn me off.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is something to say about trying to combine Orthodox lyrics with a heavy, distorted heavy metal sound. it is a tad off.

A tad?????? HA!!!! That was like me trying to say I was Orthodox back when I first joined this group as a BCC!!!!

Reactions: Moses Medina
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A tad?????? HA!!!! That was like me trying to say I was Orthodox back when I first joined this group as a BCC!!!!
haha. yes, a tad, because it is an attempt to baptize the culture.

Reactions: Moses Medina
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
haha. yes, a tad, because it is an attempt to baptize the culture.

Honestly, for almost every single genre of music, there is a Christian version of it somewhere.

Upvote 0