He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 7:9-10 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

The first reason is that you only have worldly sorrow over it, which produces death. Worldly sorrow makes you feel bad about yourself, doubt your salvation, feel like God is mad at you all the time, things of this nature. In short, worldly sorrow is about you.

Godly sorrow is about God and not you. It produces genuine repentance because it is a genuine response to offending a holy God. It produces a godly grief over hurting and offending God, over grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit. It brings the fear of the Lord which will cause you to depart from sin (Proverbs 3:7). It produces a hatred for the sin in your life (the fear of the Lord is to hate evil).

Ask God if the sorrow you feel over your sin is worldly or Godly. If it is worldly, ask God to soften your heart so you can feel Godly sorrow over it. God bless

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 7:9-10 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death.

The first reason is that you only have worldly sorrow over it, which produces death. Worldly sorrow makes you feel bad about yourself, doubt your salvation, feel like God is mad at you all the time, things of this nature. In short, worldly sorrow is about you.

Godly sorrow is about God and not you. It produces genuine repentance because it is a genuine response to offending a holy God. It produces a godly grief over hurting and offending God, over grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit. It brings the fear of the Lord which will cause you to depart from sin (Proverbs 3:7). It produces a hatred for the sin in your life (the fear of the Lord is to hate evil).

Ask God if the sorrow you feel over your sin is worldly or Godly. If it is worldly, ask God to soften your heart so you can feel Godly sorrow over it. God bless

:thumbsup: hey there "thesunisout" where you been hiding ?

good stuff this post thats what the lord showed me also :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I agree. As Christians we are capable of "godly sorrow" because we have the Holy Spirit. If we respond to a sin we committed by just condemning ourselves and feeling bad... that is worldly sorrow. If that happens we will not be delivered from the sin and from God's discipline and chastening. If we, by the Spirit, have godly sorrow we will be led to truly change our minds (repent) about our sin and God will deliver us. Worldly sorrow leads to death. Our Godly sorrow leads to a change of mind regarding sin that leads to deliverance (salvation... the greek word also means deliverance) and that deliverance is nothing to regret.

I do want to say that, as you well know, Paul is addressing Christians here and so is not explaining how to be saved or justified. The word salvation in the Greek can mean either eternal salvation or temporal salvation and deliverance. So the Christians godly sorrow over disobedience leads to a sincere change of mind about his sin and that brings Divine deliverance from bondage to sin and from God's chastisement.

Now when an unsaved person first gets saved He is saved (justified) by faith alone ....not while experiencing godly sorrow but while still ungodly. Romans 4:5 says " to him that worketh not but believeth on Him who justifies the UNGODLY his faith is reckoned as righteousness"

The ungodly do not produce godly sorrow. So they have to be justified by faith alone while still ungodly. However Christians are capable of godly sorrow. Godly sorrow leads us to change our minds and that leads to God's deliverance. And as Paul says we do not regret that.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

the sun is out .. that is great , I love some of these comments..
if any of you don't have right repentance and you want it about your own sins, just ask God to carry/or love others and to carry someone else sins, so they can be free....
it won't be long when you will start to see just what sin really costs .
ps remember you asked him for that so you won't go acting out and freak out when you really get in touch with someone else's /a foreign type sin...
sin it costs him and his body and us as individuals and our children and families just so so so ...sooo much..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carmenere

Dec 23, 2014
Florida
✟16,493.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm sorry but what do you mean by over grieving and quenching the Holy Spirit? :confused:

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I keep reading these threads in a lot of these sub-forums, and it is so apparent that almost all of the Christians on here does not believe that their sins are forgiven by the blood on the Cross. Almost all of them believe that they must pray for the forgiving of their sins, or that they have to do this or that or something else. There is no forgiving of sins without the shedding of blood. Heb.9:22. It is not about the sins, it is about the Son. The whole book of John, over and over again, Jesus continued to say, " if you believe in me you will get eternal life." Not once did He add anything to that. So, again, its not about the sins, its about the Son

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I keep reading these threads in a lot of these sub-forums, and it is so apparent that almost all of the Christians on here does not believe that their sins are forgiven by the blood on the Cross. Almost all of them believe that they must pray for the forgiving of their sins, or that they have to do this or that or something else. There is no forgiving of sins without the shedding of blood. Heb.9:22. It is not about the sins, it is about the Son. The whole book of John, over and over again, Jesus continued to say, " if you believe in me you will get eternal life." Not once did He add anything to that. So, again, its not about the sins, its about the Son

Well of course, you are right. Lost sinners become saved and justified by faith alone in Jesus' blood. We cannot add anything to that.

However, I believe that the verse everyone is discussing is in II Corinthians 7:9 regarding the Corinthian Christians and their sorrow over the fact that they had sinned and Paul had to rebuke them. Therefore, the verse isn't really about Lost sinners finding salvation... it is about sinning Christians repenting (changing their minds) about their sins and being delivered and restored to fellowship.

But you are correct... justification is by faith alone.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing that since you adhere to the Five Solae, you also believe in Eternal Security/OSAS?

As I mentioned in the other thread, this is the non-denominational forum and you are allowed to post in fellowship, but not to debate or proselytize.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

but the Op is not speaking of or against forgiveness ..its speaking of being free .

if you have a particular sin that you repeatedly do and cant "seem " to stop doing ... then say what you like but such a person is not yet walking in freedom to that sin.. they are in bondage to it .
freedom from a slave master is not knowing in principle that you are fre but still serving that master under bondage .. freedom is both know ing you are free an walking as a freed man .

the error some make is not realizing that we are set free from one(being evil) to serve another (being good) ..there is no vacuum where we serve self without consequence .

the lord Jesus did not come to say yoiu are set free then leave us in bondage .
whom the son sets free is free indeed... so if our deeds are in service to the flesh then we are still in bondage to it ..for to whom you yeild your mebers as slaves to obey his servant you are to whom you obey ...
we will always ultimately give ourselves in service to whom we love the most .

i found that Gods love for me over time wooed me ..he broke my heart until i was not just sorrowful in regret ..but i was broken hearted ..i wept long and bitterly in regard to my sin
with a broken and contrite heart the lord is able to show us things about ourselves without us brushing him away in self justifications.../
the lord Showed me i kept returning to my sin because i loved it more then i loved him.. and "that" was the sin i needed to repent of ... loving flesh more then God ..is missing the point of life it is falling short of his righteousness because is righteousness is life and his loving kindness better then life ..wow.

so Godly sorrow breaks the heart of flesh so that the life of God may flow out from us and be shed abroad in our hearts ..and his love, his life in us .. cannot sin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brandonspapa

Dec 27, 2014
Florida
✟7,741.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our salvation is not based on how we act, but what we believe. However, obedience is an outward sign of salvation and is done to show our appreciation to Christ for His salvation. Once saved, we must confess our sins, both willful and unknown, to receive the forgiveness that is required to receive the blessings and promises that GOD has made to those who are a member of HIS Family. We are are still saved, mind you, but GOD will not bless us as long as we have unconfessed sin and are out of fellowship with HIM.

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

The reason we find it impossible to leave our sin behind is because in order to do so, we must leave our flesh behind. You cannot defeat one without the other. We cannot remain in the flesh and overcome sin. Those who think they do simply end up being filled with pride as to their accomplishments. It is simply what the flesh does.

If we have fleshly carnal natures, we will continue to sin, no matter how religious we become. Our fleshly nature must be put off by a radical act of faith. We who are Christ's are supposed to have crucified the flesh..... with the affections and lusts thereof. We cannot get rid of the fruit of the tree until we kill the tree. So if this is the case, and yet we still are bound by our evil affections and bodily lusts, what is the problem? We are still in the flesh.

We have not ever come into agreement with God as to who we now are. God has spoken that until we agree with Him, we cannot walk together with Him as one. He says that we are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, that we are dead to sin, that we owe the old nature nothing. Do we agree with that? Do we believe it is even possible?

But we must know this. If we are determined to get free from the grip of our besetting sins and the weights in our walks that so easily beset us, we must believe that such a walk is for us. It is our grabbing hold of this truth, our refusing to let go, that is our shield of faith that can and will quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy.

Our calling is to "fight the good fight of faith" until we become established in the truth of who we are. If we fall into sin as we are growing in our faith... not when we sin, but IF... then it is imperative that after we repent and turn back to Him and receive forgiveness, that we again re-hoist up our shields of faith, the truth that we are new creatures. Without this, we will be destined to repeat our errors again and again, ever learning lessons, but still never coming to the knowledge of the truth. We can knock off the bad fruits as fast as they grow out of our old nature, but it will never lead us to overcoming sin.

To BE free indeed, we must continue in His words that we ARE free. It is the reality of the Biblical principle of faith. We MUST believe when we ask God for new natures as He has promised us that we HAVE them, and it is our continuance in holding onto that truth that allows it to manifest itself in our walks.

"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you."

We cannot love God more than we love our sin until we are walking in the Spirit and the fruit of that abiding....love....is grown in our natures. We may want to but only in our new natures will we find the secret of real obedience.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No one will be free from sin as long as we live. We will all always sin. The best that we can do is keep God in the forefront of our minds all the waking hours. Pray all day with thanksgiving. Be careful of what we think, say, and do. From these three we sin. From the abundance of our heart we think sinful thoughts. From the abundance of our heart our mouth speaks sinful words. From the abundance of our heart we do sinful things. So if we keep god in the forefront of our being we wont think, say, or do the things that are sinful.

We will never be free.

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

No one will be free from sin as long as we live. We will all always sin. The best that we can do is keep God in the forefront of our minds all the waking hours. Pray all day with thanksgiving. Be careful of what we think, say, and do. From these three we sin. From the abundance of our heart we think sinful thoughts. From the abundance of our heart our mouth speaks sinful words. From the abundance of our heart we do sinful things. So if we keep god in the forefront of our being we wont think, say, or do the things that are sinful.

We will never be free.

What you are espousing is what we all basically hear in our churches, how we have been raised and now what we too believe. Our standard that we are only human and no one is perfect has been our modern day Christian mantra. I certainly understand why we hold fast to such a belief, BUT, we are now reaping the fruits of our error.

It would be one thing if we in the church fell into sin, that we then repented with bitter tears, avowing wholeheartedly that we will not do "that" sin again. It would be one thing if we each individually really were striving for holiness of character. But we are not, if honesty is foremost here.

You see, that is the insidious side of this belief we treasure an hold fast too with NO budging. Our modern take on the amazingness of God's grace, where even repentance and confession are not needed to remain saved.....should it not take us higher and higher in our response to said grace? Would not that be a normal response? Is it ours?

No, it is not for the vast majority of us. This belief has slowly stripped us of our strength to resist, and poisoned our faith in the power of our God and what He is able to do for us...and in us. It has clasped irons on our wrists where sins now become addictive, put our eyes out so that we cannot even see our sad state, and as a result, we are thus weighted down till our lives for the most part look like the lives of the lost in the world... well, other than our Sunday morning habits.

We have duplicated the error of Samson, flirting so long with temptation that we eventually bit deeply into the apple of unbelief. The result of our folly? Those in the world call us hypocrites. We call us forgiven.... and because we are free, we can continue to be hypocrites. Amazing grace.

The real question about our relationship to sin in our salvation is not whether or not our denomination says about it, nor what we think is even remotely possible for us, nor even because we have never seen such a thing face to face. The ultimate question each child of God has to wrestle with is.... what does God say about it? Ultimately, nothing else matters. Nothing.

So what does God tell us? Jesus taught us to pray that we be delivered from evil. We are then told by Paul that we have not just been forgiven, we have delivered from the very power of it. We are told that sin shall no longer have dominion over us, for we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit, and we owe the flesh nothing. We are told that grace is to teach us:

"that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously and justly in this present life."

We are told to walk out our Christianity here on earth as living sacrifices, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service. God has promised to equip us with armor, weaponry and shields of faith that are promised to quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Finally, God promises to "cause us" to walk out our lives as obedient holy children, and will thus not allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist.

God has told us that it is them who hunger and thirst for righteousness..... not forgiveness, but a righteous heart, a new nature, they will be the ones filled. He has told us that it is the pure in heart who are the blessed ones, and it is they who are the ones who will see God. He has urged us to holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Do we see a problem here, Houston? Can we not comprehend that It is our unbelief in the clear promises of God that has put poison in our midst, keeping us fleshly saints, made us into a church having a form of godliness down pat but yet denying flat out that God can set us free indeed as He promised.

I have much more to say (shocked, huh? LOL), on this amazing subject of how to walk in our new natures and what that means to us. This post was simply an attempt to get us to look past our biases, and they are MANY, and to confront our real problem as to why we are not thriving, and turning the world upside down for Christ. What is it?

Unbelief.

It kept 600,000 Israelites out of their inheritance, and it has kept us out of ours. Our time as the awakening virgins who will light their lamps, and be the light we are told we are, is approaching fast. We are about to be amazed.

Many blessings, dear brother

Gideon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

gideons300

Good article Gideon. You are truly blessed to have been given this much faith.

It has only been since I was totally convinced of my inability to even improve my flesh that I came to my low point, where I had NO strength left. But to my amazement, it was then, and not before, that I saw faith, a gift from God, begin to sprout in my heart. It is not big enough that birds come to nest in my branches, LOL, but it sure is nice to see my little mustard seed of faith have a growing root attached. That is God, brother.

So am I blessed? More than anyone knows.

Gids

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has only been since I was totally convinced of my inability to even improve my flesh that I came to my low point, where I had NO strength left. But to my amazement, it was then, and not before, that I saw faith, a gift from God, begin to sprout in my heart. It is not big enough that birds come to nest in my branches, LOL, but it sure is nice to see my little mustard seed of faith have a growing root attached. That is God, brother.

So am I blessed? More than anyone knows.

Gids

Well, keep up the good work! But I have to admit that I honestly hope I never get low enough to gain your level of faith. Too attached to the flesh, I guess. :-(

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We will never be free.

yet he gives us HIS holy Spirit and we are then instructed to live "in" his spirit and his spirit cannot sin .

but you need to think through what you just said ...think abut the implications ..
your basically saying the lord Jesus failed .. and he did not

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yet he gives us HIS holy Spirit and we are then instructed to live "in" his spirit and his spirit cannot sin .

but you need to think through what you just said ...think abut the implications ..
your basically saying the lord Jesus failed .. and he did not

Do you live a sinless life?

He came to atone for our sins and to live a sinless life to exchange for our depraved life. He did not fail. But to claim that we must be perfect is to say that he failed.

Upvote 0
G

gideons300

Well, keep up the good work! But I have to admit that I honestly hope I never get low enough to gain your level of faith. Too attached to the flesh, I guess. :-(

Paul said that he count all things as dung that He might win Christ. He told us to lay aside every wright and the sin that does so easily beset us and run our race with a single eye. He told us that it is when we seek Him with ALL of our hearts that we will find Him, amen?

The flesh, and all it promises, is the ultimate temptation for a believer. It promises much, delivers little, and is what stands in the way of our abiding in Christ. They that remaon in the flesh cannot please Him. Cannot.

is even now leading us into the valley of decision whereby we all are going to be asked the same questions...

"Lovest thou me more than these?"

How we respond will determine everything.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0