California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is a legitimate question, I’m not seeking to debate or bait or anything like that (just gain understanding). I think I’ve learned a lot about (and grown to have a deep respect for) the RCC, but this still confuses me.

What does it mean that the Catholic Church considers themselves The One True Church? In several post I’ve seen members (some Catholic some not) claim the RC holds this position. Now I personally believe that my denomination is the one true church (that’s why I’m in it!), but for me that just means other denominations have some theology wrong. When I make this statement about my church the word “true” means “accurate”. I think the RCC means something different by this statement (I’m not sure though). Sorry if this is a bit naive, but will someone please explain it to me?

I figured I’d post this in OBOB instead of GT so it didn’t get flamed to death by people trying to debate Catholicism.

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
This is a legitimate question, I’m not seeking to debate or bait or anything like that (just gain understanding). I think I’ve learned a lot about (and grown to have a deep respect for) the RCC, but this still confuses me.

What does it mean that the Catholic Church considers themselves The One True Church? In several post I’ve seen members (some Catholic some not) claim the RC holds this position. Now I personally believe that my denomination is the one true church (that’s why I’m in it!), but for me that just means other denominations have some theology wrong. When I make this statement about my church the word “true” means “accurate”. I think the RCC means something different by this statement (I’m not sure though). Sorry if this is a bit naive, but will someone please explain it to me?

I figured I’d post this in OBOB instead of GT so it didn’t get flamed to death by people trying to debate Catholicism.
For Catholics we believe that Christ establiahed ONE Church, not churches or denominations. The Marks of THE TRUE Church are found in the Scripture. ONE, in government and belief, HOLY because Christ founded her and promised the Holy Spirit to guide Her, CATHOLIC Universal welcoming all people sinners as well as saints from all nations and peoples, APOSTOLIC having the teaching of the Apostles as her foundation, the Successor of Peter to who Christ entrusted His flock and remaining in the teaching of those Apostles (Apostolic Tradition).

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For Catholics we believe that Christ establiahed ONE Church, not churches or denominations. The Marks of THE TRUE Church are found in the Scripture. ONE, in government and belief, HOLY because Christ founded her and promised the Holy Spirit to guide Her, CATHOLIC Universal welcoming all people sinners as well as saints for all nations and peoples, Apostolic having the Apostles as her foundation , the successor of Peter to who Christ trusted His flock and remaining in the teaching of those Apostles (Apostolic Tradition).
Thanks that helped a lot :), what exactly does the Catholic Church think about other churches? When I see protestants quote “The Catholic Church claims to be The One True Church” they always seem to be using it to say, “See! The Catholics think all other churches are of the devil” or something along those lines. If I had to guess I’d say that isn’t what the RCC view towards other churches is, but I am woefully ignorant in this regard so I’d like to find out.

Upvote 0

BrRichSFO

Aug 29, 2006
✟16,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Thanks that helped a lot :), what exactly does the Catholic Church think about other churches? When I see protestants quote “The Catholic Church claims to be The One True Church” they always seem to be using it to say, “See! The Catholics think all other churches are of the devil” or something along those lines. If I had to guess I’d say that isn’t what the RCC view towards other churches is, but I am woefully ignorant in this regard so I’d like to find out.
The Catholic Church does not recognize other churches. It does recognize that all validly Baptized people are Christians and that Christians do exist in other Christian communities. The "other churches" are usually communities of Christians who separated themselves from the Catholic Church (or separated from a group who separated themselves from the Catholic Church) because they did not agree with something. Are all considered "Protestant"? No, some are more Gnostic like in origin.

Reactions: JonF
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you were to actually and truly read the history of the Catholic Church, you would find an unbroken line back to the ordination of the Apostles, and that ordination only came from Christ Himself.

You would have so much reading involved....

BUT if you, as you say, are in your church for truth...then it would behoove you to find what truth is. Right?

I am being a little vague, because the history is so great.

Ignatius penned the name Catholic as though he knew this since the start. He didnt decide to call the Universal Church Catholic, but this was in the first Century and this was what the Apostles taught him. He took the place of Peter in Antioch.... when Peter went to Rome.

And Ireneaus gives us the line of the first Popes...and to which ever after that record had been kept intact.

Furthermore, all the doctrines of the Church have been written about by the earliest Christians in their explanations of scriptures.

We maintain that Tradition of teaching.

Etc etc etc

So, since the line of Bishops, priests etc have been here since Christ and His Apostles...would that, and the fact nothing has been changed, make our Church the true Church?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.