Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Talmid .

Well it's just that most people see the story of Lazarus and the rich man as refering to death and hell or something like that .

Yet when i read this myself i'm seeing the rich man as representing the jews and Lazarus as representing the Gentiles , so i was wondering what the messianic view or interpretation of that story is . Thank you .

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Today at 06:25 AM paulewog said this in Post #6

Hm. I'm not a Messianic Jew, but I don't see that as being Jews/Gentiles. I see it as just what it is. One man that didn't believe, one that did....

That's exactly what i mean paulewog , one who believed ( Gentiles ) and one who did not ( jews )

Upvote 0

paulewog

Father of Insanity; Child of Music.
Mar 23, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟33,938.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see it as categorizing the Jews and Gentiles though. I don't remember Lazarus being a gentile in the story, by the way ;) maybe I'm just not remmebering it right, though.

I just see it as a rich man that had a lot in this life, and a poor man that had little. The rich man was self confident, the poor man (Lazarus) believed. The rich man had all his rewards here - when he died, he went to the bad part of Hades, but Lazarus went to Abraham's Bosom. Earhly possessions don't mean much.

Not that having money is a bad thing :D heh.

Categorizing it into Jews/Gentiles would kind of seem to imply that the Jews are done for in God's eyes though, which isn't true :D

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me if I'm wrong...but is it possible that Jesus was putting this into a Jewish context (since he was talking to Jews)? I always have thought that all Jews considered Abraham to be their father and their ancestor...whether they were a believer in Christ or not. I think that Lazarus would also consider Abraham to be his father as well. Just because the rich man says "father" doesn't mean that Lazarus wouldn't also say "father." Forgive me if I'm wrong...I'm not an expert here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Hi All4christ .

It's not just the fact that the rich man calls abraham "father"but the story continues with :

Abraham said to him, "They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' 30And he said, "No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31But he said to him, "If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead."'

There is only one race or tribe that have or listen to Moses and the prophets . ( Jews )

And Jesus did rise from the dead and they ( jews ) were not persuaded .

Upvote 0
Yesterday at 07:50 PM simchat_torah said this in Post #12

Do you guys understand that in the Book of Acts, nearly every singly believer (thousands upon thousands upon thousands) were jews?

Amen, because let me just point out the first known GENTILE to be a believer was Cornelius and before him it was Jews that believed and if one gets a good study bible, they could learn that very easily. Gentiles (and I am one.. :(  ) did not believe. They were heathens and pagans before they got the Gospel..

So frankly, I don't get why people keep acting like Gentiles were the first to believe because they weren't.. and on another note, the Apostles were all Jews.. :D

Missy

:D

Upvote 0
Yesterday at 07:58 PM Didymus said this in Post #13

salvation is of the Jews. i was taught that the Jews killed Christ as a child.but i figured it out for myslef when i was a teen that we all did it. i was also taught that you could not be Jewish and a Christain at the same time.

I don't think I agree that the Jews killed Yeshua. And I don't believe the Gentiles did it either. Yeshua was sent for the purpose of redemption for the entire world. Without his death things would have been pointless. No matter who actually killed him, which I HIGHLY doubt Jews actually hung him on the cross, put the crown of thorns on his head, pierced his side, or nailed his wrists to the cross since they weren't in power.. it was meant to be so because through his blood the sins of man were cleansed. So blaming one group of people or another is rather pointless because he was going to die anyway. And for the record nothing in this world happens without God, the Father's allowance for it to happen. So technically God allowed the death of his son out of his pure love for the entire world. What greater love than this..for a man to lay down his life for another..

Missy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums