✟52,180.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Everyone

I think I have a simple question, but I just don't know for sure the answer.

If you take a trip out of state to pick up something for your business. Can you write off any of the expenses ( like meals, gas and hotel) IF you include some personal time in there (like visiting family). Extending the visit by a couple of days.

Thank you for your help :D

newbeliever :)

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
The purpose has to be primarily business, which it seems according to your definition it would be. Just make sure you document it.

Now as far as extending the time for personal reasons, that won't fly in most situations. The exception might be a deal on airfare where a weekend stay will more than make up the difference. Yet you would not be able to write off the non-business travel, lodging, and food aspects, outside of the need to stay the couple extra days.

The IRS has detailed info on this on the web. As long as you follow thier guidelines, you should be fine, but if anything is questionable, run it past your accountant, or tax guru.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

Ron

Upvote 0

Dark Matter

May 31, 2004
Earth, third planet from the Sun
✟1,062.00
Faith
Christian
newbeliever02072005 said:
Hello Everyone

I think I have a simple question, but I just don't know for sure the answer.

If you take a trip out of state to pick up something for your business. Can you write off any of the expenses ( like meals, gas and hotel) IF you include some personal time in there (like visiting family). Extending the visit by a couple of days.

Thank you for your help :D

newbeliever :)
Why would you want to write it off? If it is a business need, why don't you have the business pay for it (minus the time with family)? Your business should reimburse you the mileage x $0.40 per mile, plus whatever hotel cost is necessary to complete the job, plus wages, minus any extra time or days spent on personal business visting family.

Dark Matter

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.