• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

A question about TV/aerials

Discussion in 'Golden Eagles 50+' started by rebornfree, Jul 22, 2019.

1. rebornfree

rebornfree Senior Veteran Supporter

+12,212
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Could someone help me please?

My TV aerial has always been a bit dodgy, with pictures on some channels breaking up, but I can get the channels I want so I haven't been bothered about it. Today I watched my TV|DVD combo perfectly well, but later I switched on and only got sound: no picture, no TV listings, text or anything else, but I could change channels. Later still I got nothing except the "on" light -no picture, no sound. The TV seemed to click as if it was about to produce a channel but it just went blank - nothing at all. Can anyone advise me if this is more likely to be a TV problem than an aerial one?

Another question. It looks like I need to get a new TV (this one is 12 years old). I don't want a Smart one. Do the non-Smart TV/DVD combos simply connect to the power supply and the aerial, and are they easy to set up? You've probably guessed - I'm really low-tech! :D

Many thanks for reading this. :) I'm in the UK, and we're digital, in case that's relevant.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. JustRachel

JustRachel He welcomed me back! <3 Supporter

+630
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    It is most likely the TV. I think you're right about the power supply and aerial hookup. If you don't have other components, it should be that easy. I don't know what kind of hookups there are for aerials on the TVs these days, however. It's been a lot of years since we didn't have satellite. I want you to know how hard it is for this American to call an antenna an aerial. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox

+840
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    If the screen is black it wouldn't be the antenna. It is the tv. When it is your antenna the screen would be snowy without it. Most are smart tv's and you have to be like the name, lol. Just don't buy a haier, the remote is the craziest remote I have ever had. You have to be a genius to use it. I am sure you can buy a very simple tv. That requires minimal hookup. Spend as little money as you can and then you will know it will have few frills.
    Good luck:)
    PS I've been known as a last ditch effort to whack a tv on its side because things get dusty or loose and a whack has worked. If you are concerned about doing that wait til you are sure you can't do anything with it before you hit is. Try when it is off first.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. Messerve

Messerve Well-Known Member

+797
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If you're tuned in to CBS channels, they're down right now due to something or other. But it's temporary.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,355
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    If you don't even have channel numbers showing, it's your TV.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox

+840
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    That reminds me that CBS has been advertising that cable is not going to renew their contract maybe so some programs won't show. Are you losing other channels other than CBS? My tv turns black if the station is not on. It is new and that is the way it handles a station that is no longer broadcasting. But with the age of your tv that should not be true..

7. actionsub

actionsub Mike, he's just this guy, you know?

+151
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Seeing as how the OP is in the United Kingdom, CBS is probably not the issue here. The TV, most likely the screen, is malfunctioning. If the OP doesn't get a smart TV/DVD combo (which is a good idea actually), the TV will probably have a place in the back to put in a coaxial cable ending (which is standard for aerials these days). Shouldn't have any trouble at all.

8. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,518
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would look at the thing your TV uses to connect to your aeriel (my phone won't even let me use that word lol) ... if possible take a good picture of it. And make sure whatever tv you buy has that input. Other advice here is probably the best - to buy the cheapest/bottom of the line. But make sure it has that kind of input hookup. The salesperson I hope can help?

9. rebornfree

+12,212
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Thank you very much everyone for your help and responding so quickly. :) I'm convinced now that it is the TV, and am going for a fairly straightforward non-smart one. It's funny I don't watch a great deal, but I missed picking up on the news, checking the weather and just seeing a few familiar faces on the screen, let alone not being able to play my Gaither Vocal Band DVDs. :D

Good idea - I gave it a few wacks but to no avail! :D

Thank you - I'm hoping that the coaxial cable will be fine - one of the reasons I don't want a smart TV. :)

I had very good help when purchasing a computer recently, but the same shop doesn't have the type of TV I want, so I'm buying online. A good idea though - an informed sales person is worth their weight in gold. :)

10. rebornfree

+12,212
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    LOL!

11. Messerve

Messerve Well-Known Member

+797
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Oops... Didn't notice that. Yeah, probably not CBS. ^_^

12. rebornfree

+12,212
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Divorced
    Thanks everyone. :) I thought I'd just let you know that I bought a Smart one but I'm using it in non-Smart mode at the moment. In the end I went to a shop and the sales person was very helpful.