United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
A Question About the Gravity of Sin(s)

Several times in my Christian walk I have come across the idea that "all sin is sin." Persons taking this opinion usually will explain this further by saying something like, "It does not matter whether a person walks out of a Dr.'s office with a pen (stealing it) or if he or she murders someone, sin is sin and there is no difference between the 2 sins in terms of one being worse than the other."

The opposing view would be something like, "Murder is a far greater or worse crime or sin, and God sees it as worse than the stealing of the pen."

Neither of the persons stating these opinions has given me any Scripture to back up such an opinion, so I really do not know what to think. I know there has to be some kind of answer to this disagreement, and I would like to know what it is!

Any light you can shed on this subject would really help me, thanks.

Reactions: Kaon

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus Himself told Pilate that His betrayer had committed a "greater sin."

John's letters talk about sins that lead to death and those that don't.

In the OT you have a breakdown of sins, transgressions and iniquities.

Clearly from a biblical view, some are worse.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Himself told Pilate that His betrayer had committed a "greater sin."

John's letters talk about sins that lead to death and those that don't.

In the OT you have a breakdown of sins, transgressions and iniquities.

Clearly from a biblical view, some are worse.

Well. Okay then. Saves me the trouble of having to post that stuff myself.

But since I'm here, the "sin is sin" thing is true in that they all separate us from God. I want to believe that the people who make this argument are basically taking a reduction ad absurdum position about the perils of sins, no matter how seemingly inconsequential they might be. If their intention is discipleship... well, even then I kind of have problems with it but I see where they're coming from.

But if they're attempting to mount hamartiological argument, it's pathetically weak sauce.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SpiritSong
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But since I'm here, the "sin is sin" thing is true in that they all separate us from God
Not true actually. That is from a "Christian" misconception about salvation.

It is not sins that separate us from God; rather, it is a lack of faith.

• Informative
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not true actually. That is from a "Christian" misconception about salvation.

It is not sins that separate us from God; rather, it is a lack of faith.
There's an entire world of nuance we could probably go into there. And perhaps we should. But this probably isn't the thread for it. Broadly, I stand by what I said. But in terms of finer details... well, again, not the time or the place, friend.

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
UM... OK, thanks for keeping the peace here. I will study these verses in my AMP Bible to get a better understanding. I agree with the lack of faith point being what separates us from God though. That is a very good point!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Several times in my Christian walk I have come across the idea that "all sin is sin." Persons taking this opinion usually will explain this further by saying something like, "It does not matter whether a person walks out of a Dr.'s office with a pen (stealing it) or if he or she murders someone, sin is sin and there is no difference between the 2 sins in terms of one being worse than the other."

The opposing view would be something like, "Murder is a far greater or worse crime or sin, and God sees it as worse than the stealing of the pen."

Neither of the persons stating these opinions has given me any Scripture to back up such an opinion, so I really do not know what to think. I know there has to be some kind of answer to this disagreement, and I would like to know what it is!

A person who claims jay walking is as bad as murder might quote this verse:

For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. James 2:10 RSV

It’s true: The point is to be sinless, and if you aren’t, you aren’t. However, a little common sense has to enter into the discussion.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The confusion arises because people merge two questions without knowing it, and then are confused by most answers that follow.

1. One question is, how much sin or how bad do my sins have to be to go to hell? Variations would include how much good do I have to do so they outweigh the bad things I've done, etc.

2. The other question is, will God punish some sins more severely than others? (There's other related questions, too, like can people do bad things and still go to heaven, etc.)

The answers to these kinds of questions all have the same starting place:

1. Even the tiniest sin is enough to disqualify a person from going to heaven and send them to hell (so we better look to God to provide a solution; fortunately he did).

2. Punishments (or "losses" for those saved—1 Corinthians 3:15) are according to how bad the sin was. This is stated in Luke 12:47-48, but also since the Mosaic Law is an expression of God's nature, the Law shows us that there are different punishments for different sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums