Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all, I'm a junior working towards a bachelors degree in International Studies and had to take a World Religions class. I love that class and elected to complete an extra credit assignment for it. The assignment required someone to go to a religious service different from your own. One of the examples was that if you are an evangelical Christian you could go to a Catholic Church. So I did. I just wanted to share the short essay I wrote on my visit here to ensure I was respectful. The teacher is a Catholic and I would hate to disrespect him nor any other Catholics.

On Saturday, December 9th, 2017 I attended a Roman Catholic Mass at St. Michael’s parish in Frostburg, MD. I have been raised a protestant my entire life with half of my childhood being raised in a very conservative Southern Baptist church and the other half being raised in a politically moderate Salvation Army Corps. The Baptist church was very “low church” in that it was a very “come as you are” church. You could wear street clothes and fit in perfectly fine whereas the corps is somewhere between a low and a high church where church members, myself included, tend to wear military style uniforms and non-members tend to wear whatever they like. Both churches were/are very humble and plainly decorated and yet were/are very large (sanctuary wise). In fact, at that Southern Baptist Church we were always told how Catholics (and honestly any non-baptist) were cultists. The pastor adamantly preached how the Roman Catholic Church was a Mary worshipping cult. I am glad to know how wrong that is. Honestly, the Roman Catholic Church, during this Mass at least, was not as different from my background as I had originally imagined.

When I first entered St. Michael’s I was given warm smiles to which I replied with a smile as well. I was going to sit in the last row until I looked and saw a monk sitting in that spot so I chose to sit in the row in front of him. I had never seen anyone dressed in such a way in person and he smiled when he saw me so I smiled back. I got there about fifteen minutes early and looked around as the seats filled a shocking amount for a non-Sunday service. The service’s bulletin, or program, was for the Second Sunday of Advent. There was a lot of standing, sitting, and kneeling throughout the service which I went along with as I felt comfortable doing those motions. They didn’t seem to go against my beliefs in any way. I didn’t do the sign of the cross because I didn’t know how to be honest. The readings of the day went over John the Baptist, they started in Isaiah, then went to one of Paul’s epistles, and finally settled into the Gospel of Mark. They gave so much reverence for the Gospel that I was a little shocked. After a very short message about going out into the world with His message, they served communion. I of course did not partake in the Eucharist as it is, from what I’ve heard, for Catholics only. We sang three Hymnal songs, which were very similar to what I’ve sung at the Salvation Army.

As I looked around at the congregation, I saw a shocking mix of young and older adults as well as several children. All in all, there was more diversity than my current church, the Salvation Army Corps. The majority was white, and the congregation looked to be a mix economically. I felt comfortable despite not speaking to many people. During the service there was a handshaking time where I think everyone said, “Peace be with you”. There as well, everyone smiled towards me and it felt warm. In the end, would I return? Certainly, given the opportunity I will come back again. Maybe next time I’ll ask questions as well. I had always felt Catholicism was not Christian and yet, that service opened my eyes to the reality. I still don’t agree with many Catholic ideas but I am willing to learn. In the end, I have found that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and the Catholic church is definitely worth seeing.

Thank you for reading and God Bless!

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello all, I'm a junior working towards a bachelors degree in International Studies and had to take a World Religions class. I love that class and elected to complete an extra credit assignment for it. The assignment required someone to go to a religious service different from your own. One of the examples was that if you are an evangelical Christian you could go to a Catholic Church. So I did. I just wanted to share the short essay I wrote on my visit here to ensure I was respectful. The teacher is a Catholic and I would hate to disrespect him nor any other Catholics.

On Saturday, December 9th, 2017 I attended a Roman Catholic Mass at St. Michael’s parish in Frostburg, MD. I have been raised a protestant my entire life with half of my childhood being raised in a very conservative Southern Baptist church and the other half being raised in a politically moderate Salvation Army Corps. The Baptist church was very “low church” in that it was a very “come as you are” church. You could wear street clothes and fit in perfectly fine whereas the corps is somewhere between a low and a high church where church members, myself included, tend to wear military style uniforms and non-members tend to wear whatever they like. Both churches were/are very humble and plainly decorated and yet were/are very large (sanctuary wise). In fact, at that Southern Baptist Church we were always told how Catholics (and honestly any non-baptist) were cultists. The pastor adamantly preached how the Roman Catholic Church was a Mary worshipping cult. I am glad to know how wrong that is. Honestly, the Roman Catholic Church, during this Mass at least, was not as different from my background as I had originally imagined.

When I first entered St. Michael’s I was given warm smiles to which I replied with a smile as well. I was going to sit in the last row until I looked and saw a monk sitting in that spot so I chose to sit in the row in front of him. I had never seen anyone dressed in such a way in person and he smiled when he saw me so I smiled back. I got there about fifteen minutes early and looked around as the seats filled a shocking amount for a non-Sunday service. The service’s bulletin, or program, was for the Second Sunday of Advent. There was a lot of standing, sitting, and kneeling throughout the service which I went along with as I felt comfortable doing those motions. They didn’t seem to go against my beliefs in any way. I didn’t do the sign of the cross because I didn’t know how to be honest. The readings of the day went over John the Baptist, they started in Isaiah, then went to one of Paul’s epistles, and finally settled into the Gospel of Mark. They gave so much reverence for the Gospel that I was a little shocked. After a very short message about going out into the world with His message, they served communion. I of course did not partake in the Eucharist as it is, from what I’ve heard, for Catholics only. We sang three Hymnal songs, which were very similar to what I’ve sung at the Salvation Army.

As I looked around at the congregation, I saw a shocking mix of young and older adults as well as several children. All in all, there was more diversity than my current church, the Salvation Army Corps. The majority was white, and the congregation looked to be a mix economically. I felt comfortable despite not speaking to many people. During the service there was a handshaking time where I think everyone said, “Peace be with you”. There as well, everyone smiled towards me and it felt warm. In the end, would I return? Certainly, given the opportunity I will come back again. Maybe next time I’ll ask questions as well. I had always felt Catholicism was not Christian and yet, that service opened my eyes to the reality. I still don’t agree with many Catholic ideas but I am willing to learn. In the end, I have found that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and the Catholic church is definitely worth seeing.

I hope your subsequent visits are as illuminating.

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Thank you so much for sharing this, Kajiki.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
other people have made similar comments, about how surprised they are to see the reverence afforded to the Gospels and the Psalms in the Mass

here is something to think about when comparing denominations and churches
is there more focus on Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or God the Father?

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
other people have made similar comments, about how surprised they are to see the reverence afforded to the Gospels and the Psalms in the Mass

here is something to think about when comparing denominations and churches
is there more focus on Jesus, the Holy Spirit, or God the Father?
All of the churches I've been raised in have focused primarily on Jesus Christ tbh. I imagine a Pentecostal would be Holy Spirit but I dunno which ones would focus on our Father tbh.

I completely respect the reverence and see it as very fitting.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
May you please explain such gratitude? I feel I should thank the Catholics that didn't shun me for my confusion.
I don't think any of us would shun you. You had a revealing experience and we're happy for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

I'm so glad you had such a warm experience! I do hope you go back some day. I used to sneak out to a Mass every month or so when I was an Evangelical -- it was like a 'fix.' LOL

What might also be interesting for you is to ask us questions about the things you disagree about. Now, in the end, you might STILL disagree. BUT at least you'll have a much better idea why we believe as we do, and I bet you'll be surprised just how Bible believing we really are!

But whether you do that or not, it was wonderful that you chose to give the Mass a chance, and came away blessed. I think your professor will consider it an assignment that achieved its purpose.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kajiki

Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm so glad you had such a warm experience! I do hope you go back some day. I used to sneak out to a Mass every month or so when I was an Evangelical -- it was like a 'fix.' LOL

What might also be interesting for you is to ask us questions about the things you disagree about. Now, in the end, you might STILL disagree. BUT at least you'll have a much better idea why we believe as we do, and I bet you'll be surprised just how Bible believing we really are!

But whether you do that or not, it was wonderful that you chose to give the Mass a chance, and came away blessed. I think your professor will consider it an assignment that achieved its purpose.

Honestly my teacher has said again and again that he has no wants to convert students (it's a secular school and a secular class). However, if not for him I'd of never set foot in that parish. I suppose I do have a few questions. I've been looking into Eastern Orthodoxy lately and until Saturday didn't give the Catholic Church much thought. I guess my major barriers of understanding stem from the immaculate conception of Mary, her ascension into Heaven, and an actual place called Purgatory.

I've honestly begun to come to terms with the papacy the more I read and honestly I dunno how else to interpret Peter getting his name if not for him being singled out. I also see nothing wrong with a focusing aide for prayer and I believe that the saints are alive in Christ and thus can hear our prayers for them to commune with Christ. There's honestly not much that I disagree with to be frank except for what is in bold.

• Agree
Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I guess my major barriers of understanding stem from the immaculate conception of Mary, her ascension into Heaven, and an actual place called Purgatory.
These are good questions. Let's deal with them one at a time. Purgatory is probably the easiest, since it is by far the most scriptural. How about open a thread on it?

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I may open a new thread later today. I just came back from a weekday Mass and am having a meeting with the local priest at 1 pm. I'm kinda excited tbh. I will be able to ask him my questions and perhaps get answers.

Reactions: KevinC1129
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I may open a new thread later today. I just came back from a weekday Mass and am having a meeting with the local priest at 1 pm. I'm kinda excited tbh. I will be able to ask him my questions and perhaps get answers.
I'll keep an eye out for such a discussion. Back in college I did some investigation about purgatory so maybe I could help with that aspect.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh wow, that IS exciting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
T Purgatory is probably the easiest, since it is by far the most scriptural.

You cannot know how happy it makes me just to read those words put just that way. It's absolutely true, and yet the world seems blind to it, even when shown! It's crucial too, because it is what clears away otherwise irreconcilable apparent contradictions in the text. That is why those who don't think it's biblical still argue for it: it's logically NECESSARY.

But the thing is, it IS biblical, and very clearly and unambiguously too. But in all my years, the only Catholic, or any other Christian, who really GOT IT is you - and that's because of your Jewish background. You know what Gehenna is - it's Purgatory, hellish Purgatory.

For all the lip service we give, as Catholics and (in a very different way) as Protestants, to our Jewish roots, and to our newfound (in the past century) affinity with the Jews, we STILL haven't done the work to realize just how much of what we believe as Catholics in particular was and is Jewish belief. With Purgatory, it's hidden in plain sight: Gehenna.

It made my day the first time you told the others that on another thread, and it does it again here. Gehenna is Purgatory. Even Catholic theologians who know vast knowledge of things Catholic don't know that basic fact of Judaism, and even they will say that Purgatory "is not Biblical, but it is logically necessary". But it IS Biblical - even stated BY NAME, by Jesus himself!

You know that, and I love you for saying it out loud and plain. Because it's true, and it's very important!

Upvote 0

Kajiki

Supporter
Nov 11, 2017
Maryland
✟47,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh wow, that IS exciting.

Now that I'm finally home from work I need to say just snippets of our meeting. I loved it. He was great at answering my questions and letting me discern things. He said how he loved talking to me. He said how he normally doesn't read his email before Mass but felt like he had to read my email which is why he spoke to me before Mass when I got there early and why he could have a meeting today. Neither of us believe that to be a coincidence. Everything fell into place so well...I felt so comfortable in fact that I delved into my personal history....he had me stand up and he hugged me telling me how I was forgiven and hoping I understood all that. He also said how he was honored to of spoken to me and that the two hour conversation we had "made him a better preis" I feel that was just him saying that. He said I was gifted because of how I'm seeking truth without pushing my own ideas and I'm willing to be corrected. He gave me a book called "Christ Among Us". I'm gonna read some of it and me and him will discuss it as I go. He even drove me to work which showed me just how awesome his heart was and literally shattered all of my preconceived notions about this dead impersonal church.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟747,013.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I lifted the following quote from the OP's original article -

.... Honestly, the Roman Catholic Church, during this Mass at least, was not as different from my background as I had originally imagined.....

As a former Protestant, I've often said myself that if Protestants actually attended a Catholic mass, they'd wonder what all the fuss was about.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would like it if someone would start a thread on Purgatory and on praying to the Saints and then link it here because I would never be able to find it lol.

The briefest primer on Purgatory.

Purgatory is the Latin word for the Aramaic Gehenna, of which Jesus spoke several times.

In Judaism, Gehenna is a hellish place, parched and dry, with heat and flames. When people die, the Jews believe that, if they are without sins or have been forgiven of their sins (by God) they go to Gan Eden - the Garden of Eden - Paradise in Greek. But if they die with sins they descend into Gehenna where they are purged of those sins by fire.

You will find throughout the Old Testament this Jewish notion of cleansing by fire, of purifying the gold with fire to separate out the dross. You see the unclean lips of the prophet being touched with a coal of fire which the angel takes with a tongs and touches to his lips.

So, the Jews believe that the spirits of the dead descend into Gehenna where the dross is burnt off by fire. After a certain period in Gehenna, once the spirits are cleansed, they ascend out of Gehenna and proceed into Gan Eden/Paradise.

The very worst people, who have committed the most evil acts, may remain in Gehenna until the end of the world, because there is not enough time to cleanse them.

Jewish tradition (which is not biblical) is that hardly anybody remains in Gehenna for over a year, but that a few of the worst do.

When Jesus, speaking in the parable of the unforgiving servant whose master has him thrown into the prison to be tortured "until the last penny is paid", says that God will do this to you also if you are not forgiving of others' sins and debts to you, he said that you will be forgiven to the extent you forgive, but otherwise God will cast you into prison until the last penny is paid.

This prison is Gehenna. Gehenna - Jewish "Hell" - is Purgatory. Purgatory is the Latin word for the Jewish concept, just as "Paradise" is the Greek word for the Jewish concept of "Gan Eden".

Speaking legalistically, as God required the forgiveness of all debt in the seventh year, and release even of slaves in the 50th year, if God's law regarding the cleansing of souls of their debt of sin parallels what he gave as law to men, then would would expect that 6 years would be the maximum time in Gehenna, or perhaps 50.

It is fair to say that Protestants do not read "Gehenna" as "Purgatory", don't realize that it's Jewish Purgatory, and think that it refers to a valley outside of Jerusalem. It does, but the valley's name is an allegory for the spiritual reality, just as "Hell's Kitchen" isn't really Hell's kitchen, and "Hell" Michigan, while it is hellishly cold and miserable, isn't really Hell.

So, that's Purgatory. Gehenna is Purgatory. That's its function. It is first revealed in the Bible by Jesus, but Jesus never defined it, so the Jews obviously already knew what he was talking about. It's the place that Jews go after they die to be purged of their sins, before Paradise. In other words: Purgatory.

Upvote 0