Is it okay for a Protestant to read the New American Bible?

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not sure where exactly this thread belongs, but here goes.

I decided to read Ephesians and seeing that I got a handful of new Bibles from the thrift store, I pulled out the 'New American Bible: St. Joseph Personal Size Edition' I got.

I really enjoyed how the Scripture was portrayed in the NAB. It was easy to understand but also literal and not wishy washy like the Message or the Living Bible. (Have the second one, only good for casual reads.)

Is it out of the ordinary that a Catholic Bible could edify a Protestant? (I don't think it's weird, Scripture is Scripture - despite the Apocrypha being in the NAB, which I just overlook, no problem. Just wondering on your opinion.)

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I use several versions of the Bible in study. These include various Protestant Bibles (including one study Bible), a Roman Catholic study Bible, and an Orthodox study Bible.

I think it is helpful to compare several translations, especially if like me you do not read the original languages, and I can always learn and better understand different Christian viewpoints from the commentaries in the study Bibles. Even when I disagree on theological points, it can help me understand the nature of those disagreements.

I also am glad to see the Apocrypha included; even if my church doesn't consider them canonical, I think they have some value and are an interesting read.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I think your major sin is that even Catholics don't use the NAB outside of Mass.

Just kidding. Lol.

Well, kind of. They really usually don't.

I think it's perfectly fine. Even as a Lutheran I I use the RSV-CE and Orthodox Study Bible as part of my rotation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Out of the ordinary or wrong? Naaa. Bible versions are not nearly as different when it comes to doctrinal slant as people seem to think. But it is always a good policy to use and compare several different translations if you are into a careful study of something.

By the way, just about EVERY other translation looks good when compared against the Living Bible. ;)

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll use the New American Bible for personal reading and the King James Version for deep Scriptural studies. (In fact I'd use them both, NAB for the quotes and KJV for the Scriptural exegesis, with the Hebrew-Greek alongside it.)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Shouldn't this have been posted in a protestant forum not ours?

The Catholic attitude is that everyone should read our bible translations regardless of religious belonging and hopefully begin their path to the fullness of faith inside our Catholic faith.

Seems misplaced this thread.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

The Catholic attitude is that everyone should read our bible translations regardless of religious belonging and hopefully begin their path to the fullness of faith inside our Catholic faith.

Seems misplaced this thread.

Agreed on all counts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed on all counts.

As I agree that Protestants shouldn't forbid themselves from Catholic translations, to help them on their journey to a deeper relationship with God.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think your major sin is that even Catholics don't use the NAB outside of Mass.

Just kidding. Lol.

Well, kind of. They really usually don't.

I think it's perfectly fine. Even as a Lutheran I I use the RSV-CE and Orthodox Study Bible as part of my rotation.
It's even more complicated than that. The NAB isn't the exact translation used in Mass either. Not any more. The lectionary is based on the NABre but differs here and there. Back when the NAB came out in 1970 it was the version used in the lectionary, but then they updated it to the NABre and then they decided that the update wasn't totally suitable for lectionary use. You can't buy a 1970 NAB now except in a used bookstore. You can't buy the exact Bible as contained in the lectionary without actually buying a lectionary, and the NABre has not caught on so well. Lots of us have started using the RSVCE, and I'm actually liking it. By the way, I'm pretty sure there is an RSVCE2 based Lectionary out there. It is the only current available translation I know that is compliant with 'Liturgiam authenticam'.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I almost voted 'no' rather than abstain. That because I'm not a great fan of the NABre. If it's the original NAB maybe a bit more. Better might be RSVCE or RSVCE2, IMHO.

Upvote 0

ChristIsSovereign

Jun 9, 2016
Beaver Falls, New York
✟20,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I almost voted 'no' rather than abstain. That because I'm not a great fan of the NABre. If it's the original NAB maybe a bit more. Better might be RSVCE or RSVCE2, IMHO.

I have a NAB and a NRSV-CE along with a few KJV Bibles, two Today's English Version Bibles (one with the Deuterocanonicals), a Revised English Bible (same as prior), and a New English Bible New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My NAB is actually a NAB-RE
The copyright holder for the NAB and NABre is the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops). They have decided that the original NAB shall not be printed again, so it is unavailable except in a used bookstore. Well, they have this shiny new revised edition you see. The same USCCB that publishes the shiny new NABre also decided that the NABre as it stands is not always good enough for lectionary purposes. One hand meet the other hand. Oh well.

There are two ways the USCCB could go with this. One is to do a new revision that is scholarly, liturgical, and literary. This could then become a new Catholic standard Bible in the USA. That would be a good thing.

The other is to promote the RSVCE2, which does actually comply with Liturgiam authenticam, as a lectionary and quietly just let the NABre fade away. That would also be a good thing. But it would mean giving up on the NAB.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It's even more complicated than that. The NAB isn't the exact translation used in Mass either. Not any more. The lectionary is based on the NABre but differs here and there. Back when the NAB came out in 1970 it was the version used in the lectionary, but then they updated it to the NABre and then they decided that the update wasn't totally suitable for lectionary use. You can't buy a 1970 NAB now except in a used bookstore. You can't buy the exact Bible as contained in the lectionary without actually buying a lectionary, and the NABre has not caught on so well. Lots of us have started using the RSVCE, and I'm actually liking it. By the way, I'm pretty sure there is an RSVCE2 based Lectionary out there. It is the only current available translation I know that is compliant with 'Liturgiam authenticam'.
When I say NAB I mean the revised edition. Idk who uses the old NAB.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When I say NAB I mean the revised edition. Idk who uses the old NAB.
I used that one for years and years. It has a ton of underlining, notes, all of that stuff. I still pull it out and am amazed at what I once knew. The NABre I looked at and went 'meh'. Not 'meh' at the Word of God, but at the translation.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I use the Douay-Rheims or the Confraternity version (1953 edition). I also recommend suggest the Monsignor Ronald Knox version; it is quite the literary goldmine and reads rather well even with the hieratic language. :)

Upvote 0