Emanuel333221

Mar 3, 2017
US
✟17,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was having a conversation with this girl who's into reformed theology, then she began to disparage this gentleman, questioning his faith in Jesus. I then asked her what she thought of Pope Francis' comments on the matter (who am I to judge?) and this was her response:

emilythomes.JPG

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've come to realize that when people say that someone is contradicting scripture, what's really being said is that they're contradicting that person's understanding of scripture.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've come to realize that when people say that someone is contradicting scripture, what's really being said is that they're contradicting that person's understanding of scripture.
i think this op may be illegal .

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Exactly, that's why 30,000+ denominations of Christianity exist. They can't all be right, yet each claims they are "the one true Church".

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd rather have the Catholics and Orthodox Churches to be the only Denominations around only to reconcile in the end. Too many Protestant sects that are contradicting each other and that I am so confused as to which is which among them is correct.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What the pope said was humanly speaking the cross was a failure. It was. But human knowledge saying the Messiah could not be someone killed by gentiles and suffering was wrong. That is long understood in Church history and by the ECFs. It is part of why Christ is a contradiction where human knowledge fails.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The quote from 2015

"But the true worth of our apostolate is measured by the value it has in God’s eyes. To see and evaluate things from God’s perspective calls for constant conversion in the first days and years of our vocation and, need I say, great humility. The cross shows us a different way of measuring success. Ours is to plant the seeds: God sees to the fruits of our labors. And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and produce no fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus… and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, the failure of the cross
"

Basically the cross shows us that human perspective may call something a failure when actually without it the greatest triumph is not possible. That we must not look at it as men see it because men will see it as a failure...they even saw the cross that way and it was exactly the opposite. The Lord says in Scripture that He does not see as man sees. That is exactly what the Pope is saying.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Francis said that Islam is a religion of peace, That Jesus was a sinner and that Jesus failed on the cross.

He is a heretic.

Stop trying to make him look like a Saint, You're not impressing anyone.
If your first point is correct, that would make Francis somewhat of a liberal, but on its own, no more liberal than GWB, who started all that religion of peace rhetoric.
On your second and third points, that would be teaching heresy according to Catholicism.
If it was really true though, you would have provided the sources for those quotes.
Providing the source of course would give the context which would thereby destroy those types of assertions completely.
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! St Paul says that Jesus was a dagnab fool! He is on a vendetta against wisdom!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,

and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.”
:rage::rage::rage:

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was having a conversation with this girl who's into reformed theology, then she began to disparage this gentleman, questioning his faith in Jesus. I then asked her what she thought of Pope Francis' comments on the matter (who am I to judge?) and this was her response:

View attachment 194460

For what it's worth, there are a LOT of Catholics who feel the same way.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
For what it's worth, there are a LOT of Catholics who feel the same way.
He is not my favorite pope, but serious charges merit serious evidence to support such a claim. When that is totally lacking, there is no longer any charitable method of describing the kind of people who would put out such a charge in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is not my favorite pope, but serious charges merit serious evidence to support such a claim. When that is totally lacking, there is no longer any charitable method of describing the kind of people who would put out such a charge in the first place.

Much agreed. I think folks throw the whole "heretic" thing around way too loosely. To be honest, I don't agree with everything Francis says, but overall I like the guy.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Much agreed. I think folks throw the whole "heretic" thing around way too loosely. To be honest, I don't agree with everything Francis says, but overall I like the guy.
Pope Francis is very personable. I don't think he is a very good pope, but I certainly don't dislike him, and I don't think that his ideas are heretic to Catholicism at any rate.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
and that Jesus failed on the cross.

St. Paul writes

" 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God"
1 Corinthians 1:23-24

I think the Pope meant something along these lines, that according to Worldly wisdom, if you are executed by your own people, and all but one of your chief disciples are killed (the only survivor being left to die in exile" you are not really a "success story" according to the World
but we know better

the Pope was stressing that we should trust in God even when things seem bleak, not that our Lord was a failure

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.