Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
History of the Christian Church in 8 Vols. by Church historian Philip Schaff is a good one but currently out of print it appears. Sadly I've noticed more and more of these high quality older resources going out of print over the past few years. It is available online though, for free on ccel.org HERE and scans on archive.org.

If you go to heritagebooks.com and do a "history" search, you'll find pages and pages of RESULTS. I expect many good ones in these results from numerous resources. It is difficult to find a one volume history that covers two thousand years of Church history and still does a descent job, "The Story of Christianity" by Justo L. Gonzalez is a popular two volume history. On a tight budget, you might also consider "Church History" by Christopher Catherwood for a very brief one volume treatment from an evangelical perspective. Personally I tend to prefer more details when dealing with history, but struggle with reading certain older works because, in some instances, their vocabulary is far more advanced than mine, and sometimes the words are archaic and used differently than today. So although it can involve more work to properly interpret and understand, it can also be more rewarding. :)

Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I really enjoyed the two volumes by Justo Gonzalez. They used to be very inexpensive on Kindle if you read electronically, but I noticed that their price has gone up a lot. Perhaps they go on sale from time to time.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. I ordered the first of Phillip Schaff (it's like 2 dollars on Amazon). I found a couple of others that look good, but I've spent way too much on books this month. .99 here and there can add up. :)

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0