• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

a preterist question

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by chagal was here, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostthenfound

lostthenfound Justified by Faith Alone

+0
    You are surely welcome.  God bless you for your calm and patience.

But Franklin, why would God create a creature specifically to cause man to sin?  That would be like God tempted man, hence contradicting James 1:13.  You still have not answered my other challenges as to the large number of references to the devil in the New Testament.  If I am to believe that Satan is not real, then can you explain who this "Satan" was that God talked to in the book of Job?  Who is this "Satan" in 1 Chronicles 21:1?  Who is this "Satan" in Zechariah 3?  Often the term "accuser" is used to mean "Satan".  Can not "serpent" mean the same?

I am confused here.  I said God did not create man with a sinful nature.  However, I did say that man was created with a free will, with the possibility to sin.  Otherwise, God created automatons that follow Him, which God clearly does not want, otherwise there would be no such thing as faith, grace, justification, etc.

Franklin, you make those comments like they leave a bad taste in your mouth. :sick: Do you believe that non-preterists or partial preterists are not true Christians?

In Christ,

Michael

2. lostthenfound

lostthenfound Justified by Faith Alone

+0
    I know that no one is attacking me, but I feel as if I am a lone soul trying to argue this point.  :help:

I will try to answer the other objectors here as soon as I am able.  I will say that I am not a theologian, and the argument that Davo has brought will take me some time to answer.  Thank you all very much for challenging debate.  I will return!  :wave:

3. NumberOneSon

NumberOneSon The poster formerly known as Acts6:5

+231
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Hi SimpleChristian

I understand the reason for your mirth; I felt it myself the first time I learned about it. But preterism (both partial and full) is far from being a "wackado" idea once you get past the knee-jerk reaction and actually study what it is says. I laughed at it too, but my laughing didn't last for very long ...

Hey LostthenFound,

Take your time, and welcome to the forum! :)

In Christ,

Acts6:5

4. parousia70

parousia70 Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+4,276
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Hi Simple,
    I'm curious about the "explaination" you received about preterism.
    Was it from a Preterist? If not, have you checked what you were told with a preterist to see if the explaination you received was accurate?

Instead of giggling yourself into oblivion, you might want to dig in to preterism a but deeper before you dismiss it outright.
    I'd be glad to attempt clarify any questions you may have.

Peace in Christ,
    P70

5. parousia70

parousia70 Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow Supporter

+4,276
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    James 1:14, Jeremiah 17:9

6. IB

IB Idaho Bassman

+0
    Christian
    One of the original questions in this thread was:

The Spiritual realm exists all around us, we just don't have spiritual eyes and can't see it. However from time to time God will open someone's eyes so they can see it. For example Balaam had his eyes open in Numbers 22:21-39 specifically v31
    Here is another good example in 2Kings6:8-23, specifically v16-17
    We see that Elisha could see into the spiritual realm, but his servant could not until God opened his eyes.

Maybe sometimes today God 'opens' eyes for a brief instance and we are able to see into the spiritual realm??

Just my thoughts. See Ya, IB

7. GW

GW Veteran

+59
    Christian
    Great post IB. I fully agree.

I believe the revealed cosmology of the bible concerning all things "visible and invisible" (Col 1:16-17; Heb 11:3) shows us that God's created universe is tongue-in-groove and side-by-side (so to speak). The visible and invisible realms are infused and intertwined.

The Jack Van Impe notion that God's Heaven begins at the borderline edge just beyond the furthest reaches of our "outer space" is pure nonsense.

GW

----------------------------
    http://www.preteristvision.org

8. Brian45

Brian45 Senior Member

+152
    Christian
    Single
    The original post was about paranormal activity which I have seen and know is real . Paranormal activity is not caused by dead people , as they are dead and awaiting a resurrection , this leads me to beleive it is none other than satan and his mates .
    I am not insane or on drugs , nor am I gullible , I have checked these things out for myself .
    If the idea that satan is alive and running about the place bothers some people , then so be it .

9. franklin

franklin Sexed up atheism = Pantheism

+218
    Atheist
    Private
    That's a good question and that is just the point, God didn't create the serpent to cause man to sin, man was and still is drawn away by his own desire to commit sin. 

God doesn't tempt us with sin and the scripture doesn't contradict itself.  As for your questions about the references to the devil in the NT.... I think we need to look to the scriptures to find out the source of good and evil.  In the world generally, especially in the so-called 'Christian' world, there is the idea that the good things in life come from God and the bad things from the Devil or Satan. "I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me...I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things" (Isaiah 45:5-7,22)  What does the scripture reveal to you about the source of good and evil?

Look up the following passages and then you tell me where the source of evil and good comes from:

(Deuteronomy 29:21, Joshua 23:15, 1Samuel 16:14; 19:9; 25:39, 2Samuel 12:11; 17:14, 1Kings 9:9; 21:21, 2Kings 22:16, 2Chronicles 18:22; 34:24, Isaiah 31:1, Jeremiah 32:42, Ezekiel 5:16, Micah 1:12; 2:3). 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.