A president attacking a sovereign nation

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If a president ordered a full bombing attack on a country we are not at war with and posed no threat to us whatsoever, should he be impeached?

Under the current laws as regarding the use of military force, no.

Should his actions lead to those laws being changed, and he subsequently violates those laws, then yes.

Now, tell us more about what Obama did...

• Haha
Reactions: 98cwitr
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If a president ordered a full bombing attack on a country we are not at war with and posed no threat to us whatsoever, should he be impeached?

No. That's not an impeachable offense. As commander-in-chief of the armed forces is fully within his or her powers to do so. Though the prudence of such a decision comes down to individual cases and circumstances.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I thought he was referring to Reagan's invasion of Grenada.

It seems unlikely that his name would be taken in vain...

• Haha
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Well, he only has one more year left, and congress voted to limit his war power.

In a sense, I feel what he did is irreversible. I don't like it at all, but the damage is done. How do we fix it?

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If there is an AUMF in effect- probably no! but iof not- it is an egregious act of was and could very well be an impeachable offense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought he was referring to Reagan's invasion of Grenada.
Well, Grenada certainly didn't involve a "full bombing" of anything.

What I immediately thought of was Obama's billion-dollar bombing attack against Libya in which its head of state was killed and government overthrown. Not a peep out of the same people who are presently uncomfortable over the killing of one terrorist, of course.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, if Congress feels that he overstepped his authority.
Well, Grenada certainly didn't involve a "full bombing" of anything.

What I immediately thought of was Obama's billion-dollar bombing attack against Libya in which its head of state was killed and government overthrown. Not a peep out of the same people who are presently uncomfortable over the killing of one terrorist, of course.
The bombing of Libya came out of a UN Security Council resolution and had broad international support due to the human rights abuses of Ghaddafi's regime. It was carried out jointly with several allied nations. Furthermore, the strikes were not targeted at any individuals, but instead orchestrated to protect civilians from the Libyan military. We did not assassinate Ghaddafi - he was captured and killed by opposition forces.

I don't see very many parallels between this and Solemani's assassination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Posed no threat? Sure. Attacked one of our military outposts? No.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, he only has one more year left, and congress voted to limit his war power.

In a sense, I feel what he did is irreversible. I don't like it at all, but the damage is done. How do we fix it?
Actually the House simply passed a non-binding resolution. BTW, check your math.....5 more years to go......

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Congress can impeach a president simply because they don't like him....sorta like what is happening now.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Congress can impeach a president simply because they don't like him....sorta like what is happening now.

That's pretty much what we're going through, yes. But I remember the overly zealous Republicans swearing that Obama would be a one term president. There was never any serious talk of impeachment.

We live in a different time now I suppose.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's pretty much what we're going through, yes. But I remember the overly zealous Republicans swearing that Obama would be a one term president. There was never any serious talk of impeachment.

Gee...I wonder why there was no talk of impeaching Obama....?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,425,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...and the point of this question? Many people across the political spectrum support Congress reclaiming their power to declare war but I don't recall anyone suggesting impeachment for any President who ordered military action and notified Congress.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps because the previous president didn't give cause.

That's for shizzle! Now if a president uses his office for personal gain, Republicans support him. Now if a president tells 15,000 whoppers before his first term has finished, Republicans shrug or snigger. Now if a president smears members of the opposition party with lies, nobody blinks an eye. Yes, times have changed.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is too late to impeach Obama now.

• Winner
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0