• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A Prayer for people trying to overcome anger.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Lord, thank you for all you do in my life. Thank you for all you provide for me and the direction you give. Thank you for protecting me and being my strength every day. Lord, today I lift up my heart to you because it is filling with hatred that I can’t seem to control. There are times when I know I should let go of it, but it just keeps grabbing onto me. Every time I think about this thing, I just get angry all over again. I can feel the rage inside me build, and I just know the hatred is doing something to me.

I ask, Lord, that you intervene in my life to help me overcome this hatred. I know you warn against letting it fester. I know you ask us to love rather than hate. You forgive us all for our sins rather than letting us be angry. Your son died on a cross for our sins rather than you allowing yourself to hate us. He couldn’t even hate his captors. No, you are the ultimate in forgiveness and overcoming even the potential for hate. The only thing you hate is sin, but it is a thing, and you still offer up your grace when we fail.

Yet, Lord, I’m struggling with this situation, and I need you to help me. I am not sure I have the strength right now to let this hatred go. I am hurt. It is distasteful. I get distracted by it sometimes. I know it is taking hold, and I know you are the only one strong enough to get me beyond this. Help me go from hatred to forgiveness. Help me walk away from my hatred and temper it down so I can see the situation clearly. I no longer want to be clouded. I no longer want my decisions to be biased. Lord, I want to move on from this heaviness in my heart.

Lord, I know hate is much stronger than just a dislike of things. I see the difference now. I know this is hate because it is strangling me. It is keeping me from a freedom that I’ve seen others experience when they’ve overcome hatred. It draws me into dark thoughts, and it keeps me from moving forward. It’s a dark thing, this hatred. Lord, help me let the light back in. Help me come to an understanding and acceptance that this hatred isn’t worth the weight it has placed on my shoulders.

I am struggling right now, Lord, and you are my savior and my support. Lord, please let your spirit into my heart so that I can move forward. Fill me with your light and let me see clear enough to come out of this fog of hatred and anger. Lord, be my everything at this moment so I can be the person you desire for me.

Thank you, Lord. In your name, Amen.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Lord, thank you for all you do in my life. Thank you for all you provide for me and the direction you give. Thank you for protecting me and being my strength every day. Lord, today I lift up my heart to you because it is filling with hatred that I can’t seem to control. There are times when I know I should let go of it, but it just keeps grabbing onto me. Every time I think about this thing, I just get angry all over again. I can feel the rage inside me build, and I just know the hatred is doing something to me.

I ask, Lord, that you intervene in my life to help me overcome this hatred. I know you warn against letting it fester. I know you ask us to love rather than hate. You forgive us all for our sins rather than letting us be angry. Your son died on a cross for our sins rather than you allowing yourself to hate us. He couldn’t even hate his captors. No, you are the ultimate in forgiveness and overcoming even the potential for hate. The only thing you hate is sin, but it is a thing, and you still offer up your grace when we fail.

Yet, Lord, I’m struggling with this situation, and I need you to help me. I am not sure I have the strength right now to let this hatred go. I am hurt. It is distasteful. I get distracted by it sometimes. I know it is taking hold, and I know you are the only one strong enough to get me beyond this. Help me go from hatred to forgiveness. Help me walk away from my hatred and temper it down so I can see the situation clearly. I no longer want to be clouded. I no longer want my decisions to be biased. Lord, I want to move on from this heaviness in my heart.

Lord, I know hate is much stronger than just a dislike of things. I see the difference now. I know this is hate because it is strangling me. It is keeping me from a freedom that I’ve seen others experience when they’ve overcome hatred. It draws me into dark thoughts, and it keeps me from moving forward. It’s a dark thing, this hatred. Lord, help me let the light back in. Help me come to an understanding and acceptance that this hatred isn’t worth the weight it has placed on my shoulders.

I am struggling right now, Lord, and you are my savior and my support. Lord, please let your spirit into my heart so that I can move forward. Fill me with your light and let me see clear enough to come out of this fog of hatred and anger. Lord, be my everything at this moment so I can be the person you desire for me.

Thank you, Lord. In your name, Amen.

:heart: i can relate my friend. What i would also like to share is how God pointed out to me some of our delightful brothers in Christ (from way back....but God uses them mightily, still, to encourage us.

These brothers are James and John. Peter is included in there too. He was quite the fiery one. That's why he cut off the ear of the guard when they were grabbing for Jesus.

To get back to James and John, well there came a time when they wanted to call down fire from heaven on some peoples that rejected their good news and most likely treated them badly.

Well here's why i love Jesus soooooo much (at least ONE of the reasons). He didn't get mad at them, or slap 'em upside their head, no. He did something that will forever endear me to Him. He called them "sons of thunder".

Awwwww, well when He DID that, it was because He UNDERSTOOD them, and He knew what was in their heart, and why they became outraged. He also knew that "anger" itself is not baaaaaad. It's how we "channel" it.

And He also knew that He would be surely helping these fireballs channel it.

It's so endearing to me, because i was a living, breathing "daughter of thunder". Now what God did, is, He ministered to me. He NEVER EVER Got angry with me. He would minister to me like a horse whisperer calms a flailing horse.

And He kept at it. I kep repenting. Now during all this time, He was gradually teaching me to give it all to Him, including all my "armor". That i did not have to be the "daughter of thunder", and that HE would take all that was chagrin-ing and outraging me, and "shoulder" it.

And He did.

Eventually.

And as HE did, His grace just came flooding in, more and more, and i no longer wore MY "armor". I had given it to Him. I learned that He IS able, and that i COULD just give my anger, and rage to Him.

And i learned that i did not "need" it anymore.

It was a process. And He KNEW what HE was doing. He does with EACH of us.

He, in all of it, teaches us to not hate ourselves for it, but to accept His grace and forgiveness, and as we do, we extend that grace and mercy and forgiveness, and sometimes we do when it's not warranted (like with my mom, who was unable to ask for forgiveness from me).

Praying for you brother. Hang in there (((hug)))

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Ephisians 4:26-27: "“In your anger do not sin" Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."

Depend upon it, it is better to learn how to live without being angry than to imagine one can moderate and control anger lawfully; and if through weakness and frailty one is overtaken by it, it is far better to put it away forcibly than to parley with it; for give anger ever so little way, and it will become master, like the serpent, who easily works in its body wherever it can once introduce its head.
--St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life

'There is an anger which is engendered of evil, and there is an anger engendered of good. Hastiness of temper is the cause of the evil, divine principle is the cause of the good, such as that which Phinees felt when he allayed God's anger by the use of his own sword.'
--Pope St. Gregory the Great

God be with you.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I should have stated this with the post and I am sorry, This is not me personally.
I have no anger in my heart, but I saw this beautiful prayer and thought those suffering from anger might get something from it. :]

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I should have stated this with the post and I am sorry, This is not me personally.
I have no anger in my heart, but I saw this beautiful prayer and thought those suffering from anger might get something from it. :]

LOL! Well ya' had me going there brother...i thought it was testimony time about my own anger and rage that i DID struggle with. ^_^

It ministered to me BIG TIME. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is a relief!

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
LOL! Well ya' had me going there brother...i thought it was testimony time about my own anger and rage that i DID struggle with. ^_^

It ministered to me BIG TIME. Thank you.
Well Praise God, I was starting to feel silly for posting it but it touched my heart when I read it and I remember back when I did have anger like that.
I am so glad it ministered to you too Sister :]

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well Praise God, I was starting to feel silly for posting it but it touched my heart when I read it and I remember back when I did have anger like that.
I am so glad it ministered to you too Sister :]

BIG TIME.

It needs to be spoken of more. If God can mooooove in my heart like He did (it was a miracle, really) He can do so with ANYONE.

Stuff happens. We take whatever stuff it is, to God and this includes if we're still angry, or shut down, or ready to run for the hills and hide from Him. We, like a little child would do with a very wise and loving father, TAKE it to Him, skinned knees, brambles in our hair, n' all, and just sob it out and express it, and even say "Did you see what they just did?"

THAT is when He ministers to our raw-ness and even shame, etc.

Just like that song's lyrics...

He's a GOOD GOOD Father.

And i'm sooooooooooooo thankful that He's mine.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
BIG TIME.

It needs to be spoken of more. If God can mooooove in my heart like He did (it was a miracle, really) He can do so with ANYONE.

Stuff happens. We take whatever stuff it is, to God and this includes if we're still angry, or shut down, or ready to run for the hills and hide from Him. We, like a little child would do with a very wise and loving father, TAKE it to Him, skinned knees, brambles in our hair, n' all, and just sob it out and express it, and even say "Did you see what they just did?"

THAT is when He ministers to our raw-ness and even shame, etc.

Just like that song's lyrics...

He's a GOOD GOOD Father.

And i'm sooooooooooooo thankful that He's mine.
Amen and Amen. And here I thought I was the only Prodigal all along ??? Lol

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen and Amen. And here I thought I was the only Prodigal all along ??? Lol

Hahahaaaaaaa

You might be surprised to see how many of us there are......

Good grief, why do ya' think i'm sooo thankful for the story of the Prodigal son?

^_^

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well good because at first I thought 'WHO'S GIVIN MY COMPADRE A HARD TIME!!!' :aarh:

Next time start with 'This is not me personally.' Please :bigeye:

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well good because at first I thought 'WHO'S GIVIN MY COMPADRE A HARD TIME!!!' :aarh:

Next time start with 'This is not me personally.' Please :bigeye:
LOL Bless you, If they was, I would turn my Tigger on them. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
...as i think about this, it's another reason that God halted me from being uber-judgmental with others....i had to come to terms with my own foibles, blind spots, and stumblings.....

and boy oh boy, when ya' looks in that mirror at that person and God gives ya' clarity like He's never done before, yu GOTS to gets on yer knees and seek His mercy and forgiveness BIG TIME. Talk about slaying the ego....

That's when the grace for others kicks in, and as a wunnerful Bible teacher has said, we learn to "walk in mercy".

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was just reading a book on an allegory of Song Of Solomon where they are at a place where forgiveness from injustice is needed.
“How can I forgive them when my pain and anger is so great?”
“Forgiveness is an act of your will; it’s a decision, not a feeling. Make the decision to forgive and continue forgiving every time the pain and memories come to the surface, every time you think of them. Then, one day, you will be amazed to find that the pain ( and anger by implication) is gone and the wound is healed. Forgiveness and healing go hand in hand. My bride, I will give you the grace to heal and to love them again”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Amen guys, Forgiveness sets the one forgiving free. If only others would realize this and pray for forgiveness and a loving accepting heart. [ Not accepting of sin, but of certain situations]
We all have failures in our lives so we cannot judge anyone rightly.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen guys, Forgiveness sets the one forgiving free. If only others would realize this and pray for forgiveness and a loving accepting heart. [ Not accepting of sin, but of certain situations]
We all have failures in our lives so we cannot judge anyone rightly.
Forgiveness sets the one forgiving free.
Amen!!! THIS is what God, in His inexplicable grace and mercy, was teaching me.

It breaks the chains and the darkness of even generational curses, and such strongholds, etc.

It literally disarms the enemy.

The enemy has no defense against it.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Excellent topic and prayer. The following poem was, and still is, instrumental in God establishing a real healthy relationship with me:

I Told God I Was Angry

by Jessica Reynolds Shaver

I told God I was angry.
I thought He'd be surprised.
I thought I'd kept hostility
quite cleverly disguised.

I told the Lord I hate Him
I told Him that I hurt.
I told Him that He isn't fair,
He's treated me like dirt.

I told God I was angry
but I'm the one surprised.
"What I've known all along," He said,
"you've finally realized."

"At last you have admitted
what's really in your heart.
Dishonesty, not anger,
was keeping us apart.

Even when you hate Me
I don't stop loving you.
Before you can receive that love
you must confess what's true.

In telling me the anger
you genuinely feel,
it loses power over you,
permitting you to heal."

I told God I was sorry
and He's forgiven me.
The truth that I was angry
has finally set me free.
------------------------

God is good! He's a good Father. :groupray:

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are many helpful scriptures but I have found the following also instrumental in developing a real honest healthy relationship with God:

Job 7:11
“Therefore I will not keep silent;
I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit,
I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.

--------
It reminds to be real and to bring everything to God so I can be healed.

Upvote 0